Logic 10.4.2 Has Dropped!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bombadil wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:23 pm I very reluctantly went to Sierra last winter when 4.0 hit. It wasn't quite as fast as El Cap, but very close. It didn't cause me any problems, and Mojave is actually an improvement over Sierra.
Are you running Mojave already? How are things going? No incompatibilities?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:07 pm
Bombadil wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:23 pm I very reluctantly went to Sierra last winter when 4.0 hit. It wasn't quite as fast as El Cap, but very close. It didn't cause me any problems, and Mojave is actually an improvement over Sierra.
I've had no issues with Mojave. Only been a few days but good so far (only about 2-3 hours in Logic in that time). Performance seems good... maybe bit better than High Sierra

fmr wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:07 pm
Absolutely no issues, the only program it killed of mine is Logic 9. Mojave seems a bit faster than Sierra, but I am always wary of the placebo effect, otherwise known as 'it feels 'snappier," so far though, pretty pleased.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

AdamWysokinski wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:14 pm Just upgrade to Sierra and it will work :P
My mac is too old to upgrade to sierra. Apple wants me to buy an overpriced, with a ridiculous graphic card, new imac and feed it's fat shareholders.

Instead of buying a new Mac you could consider this: http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html
The patch works great.

I just bought and downloaded Logic over the weekend, and am wondering if there is any way to stop Logic from scanning every single one of my 3rd Party AU plugins (all 132 of them) at start up. It does it at every single time, and it's getting to be a tiny bit annoying. It wants to turn on my Waves NX head tracking utility at start up too. Nice gesture, I guess but, I would really like to be the one who decides when to run Waves NX

dupont wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:21 pm
AdamWysokinski wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:14 pm Just upgrade to Sierra and it will work :P
My mac is too old to upgrade to sierra. Apple wants me to buy an overpriced, with a ridiculous graphic card, new imac and feed it's fat shareholders.
Mhm. Makes sense to have bought a Mac in the first place, then.

Is there anything on the Mac World to replace Cubase's MediaBay? I'm tempted by Logic, especially because of not having to carry a dongle, but need the following:

1. Volume, pitch change on the clip, without any plugins, like Cubase which shows it on the info bar
2. MediaBay-workflow like Cubase (even if Logic + external app, that's fine). The internal browser doesn't do it for me.
3. Ability to warp the bar lines to match beats (I think it does)
4. Drag and drop audio from arrange window to plugins.
5. Run 32-bit VSTs (in a bridged environment).

Most importantly, most of the plugins that I've bought over the years in the windows world, need to run in the Mac World, which I think it will. The biggest thing I'll miss is probably shortcircuit.

W23 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:26 pm I just bought and downloaded Logic over the weekend, and am wondering if there is any way to stop Logic from scanning every single one of my 3rd Party AU plugins (all 132 of them) at start up. It does it at every single time, and it's getting to be a tiny bit annoying. It wants to turn on my Waves NX head tracking utility at start up too. Nice gesture, I guess but, I would really like to be the one who decides when to run Waves NX
I've heard of this behavior before. It was usually either a permissions issue related to the AudioUnits cache or some old Waves waveshells not scanning correctly, so Logic gets stuck in a loop rescannning them on every launch. I would check the caches folder:

~/Library/Caches/AudioUnitCache

There should be a decently sized com.apple.audiounits.cache file in there. If there isn't or it's 0kb, then maybe something is preventing it from being written. Try deleting the whole AudioUnitCache folder and let Logic recreate it. Maybe that will fix it. Also check ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components to see if there are multiple waveshells present, which can sometimes clash with each other. Over the years I've had to run the Waves AU reg utility to fix issues with their plugins. It used to be found in the Applications/Waves/Waveshells folder.

keyman_sam wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:09 am Is there anything on the Mac World to replace Cubase's MediaBay? I'm tempted by Logic, especially because of not having to carry a dongle, but need the following:

1. Volume, pitch change on the clip, without any plugins, like Cubase which shows it on the info bar
2. MediaBay-workflow like Cubase (even if Logic + external app, that's fine). The internal browser doesn't do it for me.
3. Ability to warp the bar lines to match beats (I think it does)
4. Drag and drop audio from arrange window to plugins.
5. Run 32-bit VSTs (in a bridged environment).

Most importantly, most of the plugins that I've bought over the years in the windows world, need to run in the Mac World, which I think it will. The biggest thing I'll miss is probably shortcircuit.
1. Yes, the Region editor allows adjustment of pitch, gain, fades, delays, reverse, muting, looping etc... and requires no plugins.
2. I'm not familiar enough with MediaBay to say. I'm assuming the Logic equivalent would be the main Library for saving and sorting effects and instruments presets as well as full channel strip chains and even full templates. There's also a Loop browser and general media browser for searching and favoriting local drive folders of samples.
3. Tempo mapping? If so, yes, and it can even tempo map on the fly while recording now.
4. Not exactly. It isn't possible to drag an audio clip from the arrange window directly into a plugin window, but when selecting the clip it'll auto-select it in the Project pool as well and dragging from there will work. Not as immediate as in a DAW like Ableton, but it's still quick and easy.
5. This will require a VST-to-AU adapter. I'm pretty sure SoundRadix 32 Lives is still the best option. If the hope is to run 32-bit Windows VSTs as an AudioUnit in Logic, then I'm not aware of a reliable way to do this. I think it would essentially require 2 wrappers. There was a utility several years back called WACVST that could wrap a Windows VST for use in macOS VST hosts, but I have no idea if this could be done again for AU support.

Most plug-ins I cared about while still on Windows have Mac equivalents these days, but if there's one 32-bit Windows VSTi I miss most, it's SQ8L. *sniff*

There's still the really irritating bug of automation display settings changing by themselves (from "display off" to "volume") when changing screensets. Maybe I'm the only Logic user in the world still using screensets, but even so, I think when I leave a screenset and then come back, everything should be exactly how I left it. This bug has been there forever, and I have reported it through the Apple Logic feedback page. Here's a screen capture of the issue: https://youtu.be/co82XHI6-dM

AdamWysokinski wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:24 pm Instead of buying a new Mac you could consider this: http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html
The patch works great.
Things he will need:
- A copy of the macOS Sierra Installer App. This can be obtained from the Mac App Store using a machine that supports Sierra, or can be found online.
He can't obtain this, unless someone has a backup image of the installer to give to him. Sierra is no longer available to download, EVEN if the users had downloaded (therefore "bought" it) previously.
Fernando (FMR)

AdamWysokinski wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:24 pm Instead of buying a new Mac you could consider this: http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html
The patch works great.
Thanks for the link but I think mac late 2007 is too old for the patch.

fmr wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:13 am
- A copy of the macOS Sierra Installer App. This can be obtained from the Mac App Store using a machine that supports Sierra, or can be found online.
He can't obtain this, unless someone has a backup image of the installer to give to him. Sierra is no longer available to download, EVEN if the users had downloaded (therefore "bought" it) previously.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-s ... ls=1&mt=12

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”