Reason 10.2 is out!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 pm Sound on Sound has a couple of interesting article's on VCA's through, one from 2008 on Pro Tools... and even one relating to Studio One 3.2... as shown below. I've found VCA's particularly useful for controlling drums and percussion on tracks and synths that I've combined.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -32-update
Yep, I'm familiar with the feature - just have never had a need for it. I strictly use bus channels and multiple fader control. :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

CustomSamples wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:05 pm I haven't used this since reason 3 back in the day. how is it nowadays??
Completely different (the sequencer, the main mixer), yet the same (the rack paradigm). Now that it's an actual DAW (in that it hosts VST's, records audio, etc), I doubt you'd recognize it compared to version 3. :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Well, the rack is still low resolution, too, so it’ll look smaller if you have gone to larger and higher resolution screens...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:57 am Well, the rack is still low resolution, too, so it’ll look smaller if you have gone to larger and higher resolution screens...
Unless you use app scaling in your OS, in which case it can be displayed at roughly the same size (albeit not in "high def"). :party:

EnochLight wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:15 pm
Jace-BeOS wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:57 am Well, the rack is still low resolution, too, so it’ll look smaller if you have gone to larger and higher resolution screens...
Unless you use app scaling in your OS, in which case it can be displayed at roughly the same size (albeit not in "high def"). :party:
True, but I’d call it “blurry” ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

EnochLight wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:33 pm
CustomSamples wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:05 pm I haven't used this since reason 3 back in the day. how is it nowadays??
Completely different (the sequencer, the main mixer), yet the same (the rack paradigm). Now that it's an actual DAW (in that it hosts VST's, records audio, etc), I doubt you'd recognize it compared to version 3. :party:
Oh cmon now, aside from Audio in it looks and acts exactly the same except there's more native devices. The filebrowser is terrible even after you get used to it. Devices are devices, vst works, performance is worse, still no reason for me to upgrade past v9, I've been using it daily since v3. Not so much these days.

Looks awesome on 4k - people complain cause they're trying to run 4k on <30" screen. Get the right equipment if you want 4k.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason_(software)

There ya go.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:48 pm

Oh cmon now, aside from Audio in it looks and acts exactly the same except there's more native devices. The filebrowser is terrible even after you get used to it. Devices are devices, vst works, performance is worse, still no reason for me to upgrade past v9, I've been using it daily since v3. Not so much these days.

Looks awesome on 4k - people complain cause they're trying to run 4k on <30" screen. Get the right equipment if you want 4k.

There ya go.
I remember when Reason changed it's browser in version 8 which incorporated a new GUI. I preferred the old simpler way of a pop up browser for sample, combinators, refills ect and it didn't lack the audition functionality R8 did on release. Reason 8's sample playback couldn't sync to tempo as it did before either... and instrument creation was indeed more clunky with new sub menu's within sub menu's, of a right click menu. Reason 1 to 7 was right click mouse button press, select from list and bam you're done. Props tried to force people into using their new browser way of working which visually is still ugly and from how I remember it, more frustrating than it ever should have been. It was right there where I said to myself, that it was time to move on to another DAW... I remember the Props forum they eventually got rid of, and it was where Reason 8 was heavily criticised by it's users on it's release by almost everyone I remember.

The Reason on a 4K screen resolution problem is one that Props need to fix, but they can't. It would require the development of a complete new DAW and abandoning their legacy RE's on the way forward. Your solution to use even bigger screens than 30" to see Reason better, isn't acceptable. Not when there is other similar software better able to do that at lower screen sizes, and at a much lower cost.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:55 pm

There ya go.
I remember when Reason changed it's browser in version 8 which incorporated a new GUI. I preferred the old simpler way of a pop up browser for sample, combinators, refills ect and it didn't lack the audition functionality R8 did on release. Reason 8's sample playback couldn't sync to tempo as it did before either... and instrument creation was indeed more clunky with new sub menu's within sub menu's, of a right click menu. Reason 1 to 7 was right click mouse button press, select from list and bam you're done. Props tried to force people into using their new browser way of working which visually is still ugly and from how I remember it, more frustrating than it ever should have been. It was right there where I said to myself, that it was time to move on to another DAW... I remember the Props forum, they eventually got rid of where Reason 8 was heavily criticised by it's users on it's release by almost everyone I remember.

The Reason on a 4K screen resolution problem is one that Props need to fix, but they can't. It would require the development of a complete new DAW and abandoning their legacy RE's on the way forward. Your solution to use even bigger screens than 30" to see Reason better, isn't acceptable. Not when there is other similar software better able to do that at lower screen sizes, and at a much lower cost.
Looks fine on my 2017 5K iMac 27”
Don’t understand what the problem is...

EnochLight wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:33 pm

There ya go.
What the...?!! :lol: Compared to version 3, no - version 10 is hardly recognizable as far as the sequencer goes. Clips are different, audio, pitch editor, multi-lane edit, Blocks, mixer, etc - literally the only thing that is the same is the rack (and rack devices). :tu:

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:55 pm The Reason on a 4K screen resolution problem is one that Props need to fix, but they can't. It would require the development of a complete new DAW and abandoning their legacy RE's on the way forward.
:roll:

This is false. You should probably stick to DAW's you know, Scotty. ;) :party:

EnochLight wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:32 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:55 pm The Reason on a 4K screen resolution problem is one that Props need to fix, but they can't. It would require the development of a complete new DAW and abandoning their legacy RE's on the way forward.

We'll see soon if it's false or not when Reason 11 is released

0degree wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:45 pm We'll see soon if it's false or not when Reason 11 is released
Why would version 11 be the metric?

EnochLight wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:11 pm
0degree wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:45 pm We'll see soon if it's false or not when Reason 11 is released
Why would version 11 be the metric?
Because it could give us some hints how big and complicated the problem actually is. If they need more than 1 version to deliver long awaited GUI update then I'd say it's rather a biggie

EnochLight wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Ha..ha, I was teaching people how to use Reason from 2001 - up to 2014 and using it regularly till that point, I've barely opened it in 4 years though and when I have it's been to play with it vie Rewire a couple of times and look how small everything is.

I'll make clearer what I said though...
When I said 'Can't', I really meant won't because that would break the current rack format (Rendering higher res RE's is possible to accommodate higher res screens as has been shown with that red and black thing they created but unworkable in the rack as it is). Putting the old rack in another wrapper like what they have done with VST's is a possibility... A VST rack instrument even... is another, but that just seems like more baggage...making it more bloated. Having RE developers go back and re-render RE's when they might as well just stick to developing VST's is another quagmire...

But anyway...I'm busy with other stuff, I've not eaten for 5 hours... so yeah... a new modern refreshed DAW is the way forward... I don't see that happening any time soon though, or perhaps ever... Hell they could give previous versions away of Reason away like they did with Rebirth... the first Propellerhead product I tested out way back in 2000... competition for CbB :D... if they did.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

All they need to do is draw higher resolution graphics that recreate the style of the original. They so far seem not to want to do this and I don’t understand why.

They lack the artists in-house? Then outsource the work and make sure the original high resolution art materials are part of the work provided to them so small changes are easier in future.

They don’t see the profit gain in paying artists for the work?

That last one is my guess. That’s why I refuse to upgrade past version 7 until they create a version with high PPI graphics. Everyone else keeps upgrading, so my GUI protest goes alone.

I suspect that they’ll eventually replace the beautiful but tiny bitmap graphics with resizable vector graphics that are ultimately ugly, lazy, flat garbage.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”