Bitwig vs Logic

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Logic all the way (for me).

pdxindy wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:So many guys sing the praising chorus of Bitwig. I‘m on LogicPro for years and I‘m happy with it. Just out of curiosity: what would Bitwig give me that Logic doesn‘t have?
For me it is Bitwig AND Logic.

I like Bitwig for its modulation system. I can quickly put an LFO, Envelope, Sequencer, etc on most any parameter of any of the included synths and effects plus any plugins too. The modulation system is polyphonic for Bitwig synths and it also can do audio rate modulation. Bitwig is akin to a modular system. It is a fast and fun sandbox to explore ideas in. For me, it is what I always wished Live would be...

I also enjoy the straightforward workflow of Bitwig... and as others have mentioned, it has the Clip Launcher.
This, and Bitwig’s MPE support, are the reasons I jumped ship from Live. If you have an MPE controller, Bitwig rules, especially now with it’s support for sending MPE to hardware synths. I’m not sure how, or if, Logic handles that.

I think that in modern times, all commercial DAWs are good. I think it more comes down to how you like to work. There’s a lot of things I miss about Live, but I was really getting into using my Rise and in the end, I figured it was a compromise I could make.

But, I’m starting to think that there isn’t a single tool that will make me happy for all uses. Sometimes I want something that behaves like a musical instrument (Live, Bitwig) and sometimes I want something that’s more composition oriented.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Bitwig's modulation adds so much... Take RePro-1... a gorgeous sounding mono synth with fairly limited modulation. It becomes a modulation monster in Bitwig! :love:

Do you mind telling what you miss about Live that is absent in BWS? I am in between and although BWS seems more advanced, the ever more popularity of Live makes me curious.
Thanks
A.
zerocrossing wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:So many guys sing the praising chorus of Bitwig. I‘m on LogicPro for years and I‘m happy with it. Just out of curiosity: what would Bitwig give me that Logic doesn‘t have?
For me it is Bitwig AND Logic.

I like Bitwig for its modulation system. I can quickly put an LFO, Envelope, Sequencer, etc on most any parameter of any of the included synths and effects plus any plugins too. The modulation system is polyphonic for Bitwig synths and it also can do audio rate modulation. Bitwig is akin to a modular system. It is a fast and fun sandbox to explore ideas in. For me, it is what I always wished Live would be...

I also enjoy the straightforward workflow of Bitwig... and as others have mentioned, it has the Clip Launcher.
This, and Bitwig’s MPE support, are the reasons I jumped ship from Live. If you have an MPE controller, Bitwig rules, especially now with it’s support for sending MPE to hardware synths. I’m not sure how, or if, Logic handles that.

I think that in modern times, all commercial DAWs are good. I think it more comes down to how you like to work. There’s a lot of things I miss about Live, but I was really getting into using my Rise and in the end, I figured it was a compromise I could make.

But, I’m starting to think that there isn’t a single tool that will make me happy for all uses. Sometimes I want something that behaves like a musical instrument (Live, Bitwig) and sometimes I want something that’s more composition oriented.

Personally, I don't use 1% of Bitwig's modular capabilities and still find it really useful as a DAW and hope it will develop further in non-modular way/linear workflow catching up.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Perhaps someday LogicPro will be updated with MPE support and Alchemy will become their MPE flagship…
:love:

Let me dream!

martinjuenke wrote:Perhaps someday LogicPro will be updated with MPE support and Alchemy will become their MPE flagship…
:love:

Let me dream!
Logic already supports MPE and so does Alchemy!

pdxindy wrote:Logic already supports MPE and so does Alchemy!
As I understood from your postings on forum, Logic have better MPE support than Bitwig, is that right?
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
As I understood from your postings on forum, Logic have better MPE support than Bitwig, is that right?
Now I‘m confused! That means that Bitwig has no real advantage compaired with Logic? :help:

martinjuenke wrote:
Zexila wrote:
Now I‘m confused! That means that Bitwig has no real advantage compaired with Logic? :help:
Not sure we are reading the same thread :scared:

Zexila wrote:
Not any more... As of Bitwig 2.4, Bitwig records midi channel data so it works very well...

Logic is still more flexible in some regards... but it no longer particularly matters since Bitwig 2.4

Where Bitwig is decidedly better is in editing MPE note data. Bitwig converts the pitchbend data to their own format. In Logic, the pitchbend data is not part of the note and it is not scaled to semitones. In Bitwig each note has its own pitch graph that is in semitones scale. So it is very clear to view and easily edited to bend a note up say 7 semitones or an octave.

martinjuenke wrote:
Zexila wrote:
If you want to edit MPE pitchbend data, Bitwig is much better than Logic.

Also, Bitwig has its amazing modulation system... Logic cannot touch that.
Bitwig has the clip launcher. Nothing like that in Logic.

And so on...

pdxindy wrote:
Zexila wrote:
Not any more... As of Bitwig 2.4, Bitwig records midi channel data so it works very well...

Logic is still more flexible in some regards... but it no longer particularly matters since Bitwig 2.4

Where Bitwig is decidedly better is in editing MPE note data. Bitwig converts the pitchbend data to their own format. In Logic, the pitchbend data is not part of the note and it is not scaled to semitones. In Bitwig each note has its own pitch graph that is in semitones scale. So it is very clear to view and easily edited to bend a note up say 7 semitones or an octave.
Thanks for answering this. :hug:

Logic is more similar to that of Studio One, and the toss up between those two really comes down to specific workflow's, balance of features and accessibility, but perhaps more importantly... stability..the regularity of any maintenance... then there's the cost of ownership....

The focus of them, are both strong for large track film scoring purposes... A couple of years ago I was working with a 180 track project in a single window in Studio One 3 and that's on a 1080P monitor with relative ease...Trying to do that in Bitwig Studio would be a nightmare to manage in comparison, even if it does support folder tracks. Bitwig Studio because of the way it's been designed, much like Reason, isn't as CPU friendly with so many potential cogs running in the background so isn't really as effective in handling big projects beyond that of 40 to 60 tracks I don't think..

Bitwig Studio is more of a highly advanced modulation based VST capable DAW, in a similar way that Reason is, only more contained and accessible. Bitwig sufferers in the same way that Reaper does when it comes to it's browser, although less ugly and a bit more organised, and this is down to thumbnails. Logic is able to give reference to thumbnails on the tracks themselves through the image browser, it is more of a manual process you will need to setup yourself however. Studio One is different in that reference image thumbnails of instruments / effects are handled vie the browser and snapshots are taken from any active plugin themselves. Bitwig Studio only has reference to everything vie text.

Bitwig Studio was more of a direct descendant of Ableton, for live stage / club use, this is where they go off in a different tangent to other DAW's like Logic and Studio One with more emphasis in creative on the fly experimentation.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote:Trying to do that in Bitwig Studio would be a nightmare to manage in comparison, even if it does support folder tracks.
I don't know if you are aware (I wasn't till recently), there's neat thing with group tracks where you can access every group in full arrangement view, not just collapsing folders like you would do in Cubase/Logic X, which IMO gives whole organization thing another level of usefulness suddenly, especially if you start nesting groups in groups and so on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”