Presonus Reveal Their New Drum Machine Controller - The ATOM

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Probably one of the most unoriginal names (Intel anyone...) you could give a device besides having some irritating cogitations to.... we have this..and whilst not explicitly restricted to Studio One...it does give a clear indication of a president of what Studio One 4.0 was going to be focused on direction wise...

Also given Native Instruments and particularly Akai, Roland, Yamaha and even Casio's long history in this area... it does look like some unusual oddity given the companys history of hardware...

What do you think... given the market of drum / controllers... already out there... not forgetting the Ableton push me over segment ?

I dunno...for me it reminds me of some toy I had in the early 1980's....

https://www.presonus.com/products/ATOM

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I am personally amazed they managed to produce a lengthy 4-page website with a video that together contain no information on how to use The ATOM.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

FWIW, I've bought both Push-2 and Machine mk3 twice.
Like aspects of both controllers... but hate that they're crippled when used outside Live and Machine.
It would be nice to have a finger-drum controller that's small, expressive, inexpensive... that isn't all but useless in 3rd-party DAWs.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

THE INTRANCER wrote:Probably one of the most unoriginal names (Intel anyone...) you could give a device besides having some irritating cogitations to.... we have this..and whilst not explicitly restricted to Studio One...it does give a clear indication of a president of what Studio One 4.0 was going to be focused on direction wise...

Also given Native Instruments and particularly Akai, Roland, Yamaha and even Casio's long history in this area... it does look like some unusual oddity given the companys history of hardware...

What do you think... given the market of drum / controllers... already out there... not forgetting the Ableton push me over segment ?

It's not the most creative or clever name, that's for sure. I would have much preferred something along the lines of triggerport, drumport, etc, something that played off the faderport name, since it would make a great companion.

As for functionality, it seems like a small portable midi device that can be very useful and time saving when it comes to working with Impact within Studio One. I'm sure it can be totally configured for other DAWs too, but it probably shines inside it's mothership.

It doesn't look that much like a retro device to me because of the velocity and pressure sensitive pads, polyphonic aftertouch, endless rotary encoders, USB Midi and RGB colored pads.

The price is a bit steep at $149 in my opinion, it's more like a $99-$129 device to me. But without test driving it, it's really hard to say it's true impact (pun) on one's work flow.

Jim Roseberry wrote: It would be nice to have a finger-drum controller that's small, expressive, inexpensive... that isn't all but useless in 3rd-party DAWs.
I just bought a really powerful one I'm in love with. Super responsive, super control over every aspect, 200 bucks. Keith McMillen BopPad.
4 quadrants, pressure sensitive, control anything with it. Just touch it if you've set it up that way. As opposed to pads, just a surface.

Jim Roseberry wrote: It would be nice to have a finger-drum controller that's small, expressive, inexpensive... that isn't all but useless in 3rd-party DAWs.
Seaboard block and light pad block work nicely for this

Sweetwater have a sale $149 USD

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... controller

Pretty reasonable.

My suspicion is that there'll soon be a keyboard to follow.

Presonus' big problem is that Studio One doesn't support Native Instruments new S-range keyboards or controllers.

Their specs clash.

So Atom looks like Presonus's attempt to outmanoeuvre NI by introducing their own controller.

If this is the Big Plan, and Atom sells in enough quantity, then it makes sense to follow up with a keyboard range.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Wow.

Such innovation.

So fresh, so new, so........ :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Actually, the tight S1 integration is innovative.

The last decade has been spent with controllers that didn't quite work as promised.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Presonus build quality is hardly renowned for its durability. Bearing in mind this meant to be hit ? Push is built like a tank.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I thought it was going to be an index finger emulation or a pair of sticks. Never would have guessed what they came up with. So innovative. Groundbreaking stuff. They seem to be really on top of their game.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

learnkeys wrote:
The price is a bit steep at $149 in my opinion, it's more like a $99-$129 device to me. But without test driving it, it's really hard to say it's true impact (pun) on one's work flow.
Well it does include the crippled version of Studio One, with that being SO4 Artist, with it and that's around £85 from the Presonus shop...Sweetwater has it for $149 US which equates to £114...for both the controller and software.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... controller

That for some, does make it quite competitive as a package and controller bundle of sorts.... (my personal views on version 4 aside).

Speaking of aside's ...I just hope it doesn't contain this chip :D...and in which the controller name is derived from https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/0 ... 18_months/
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote:Probably one of the most unoriginal names (Intel anyone...) you could give a device besides having some irritating cogitations to.... we have this..and whilst not explicitly restricted to Studio One...it does give a clear indication of a president of what Studio One 4.0 was going to be focused on direction wise...

https://www.presonus.com/products/ATOM

With the recent problems or issues you have with Studio One. Plus this controller, which you clearly don't iike why are you posting this, and why do you care they are coming out with this?

Cuz, yo, important opinion is important.

beatmangler443 wrote: With the recent problems or issues you have with Studio One. Plus this controller, which you clearly don't iike why are you posting this, and why do you care they are coming out with this?

It's called communication.... sorta like walking up to a group of people and talking.. but with text because that's the common and accepted communication medium we have here on forums to express our opinions on things... Regarding Presonus though... the hardware development is of interest to myself because I use the most expensive version of the software it's focused around, that being the Pro version of 2.6 & 3.56.. and for what will be coming up to be in a couple of months, 4 years... and that doesn't include other Presonus focused peripherals...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”