Logic Pro 11 will be releasing later this year ? ?, are we expecting any major upgrades 10.5 ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

It's getting crazy these days with copyright claims on You Tube, now they went after drum loops and saw some people had strikes from using drum patterns from specialized drum vst's even, next are one shot samples I guess, are they gonna ban drum&bass soon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

When uploading music to youtube, you have to click a box saying that you're not using any sounds or loops that are "freely" available in garage band or logic

I've never seen it and I've uploaded hundreds of my vids. I've read all of the material regarding takedown. Maybe you're on a suspects list. :)

If Warners/BMG can claim ownership of my use of a shot clip from an old movie, why not the Amen Break? One guy made that once upon a time, the people sticking it in a DnB track are appropriating something where mechanical rights obtain.
They're all lucky they weren't sued.

(I claimed Fair Use as the duration is not really substantial and is not competing with the original; and prevailed.)

Precedence for a major settlement from a lawsuit of a sample is of course the bass line for U Can't Touch This, directly copped from Super Freak by Rick James.

Actually, it may have been specifically for "Youtube Music" and not regular youtube. So that's a tad more specific.

It's crazy really, so they release&licence song in which their artist used factory EZ Drummer drum pattern and now they own factory EZ Drummer pattern and can strike anyone else that used same EZ Drummer factory pattern... This went little too far...

Well, a Youtube takedown of that specifically will tend to have been instigated by EZ Drummer... I don't know who you mean by 'they', there; YT doing takedowns of tracks with the reasoning 'MIDI files owned by EZ Drummer' is another thing than for any other entity to claim ownership; however in my situation other entities claimed ownership of the film clip (and folded each time by my mere dispute of; they have 3 wks to respond, never did).

Forgotten wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:42 pm
Sascha Franck wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:34 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:27 pm Oddly, many of mine are due to the 32-bit nature of installers but without any error from the rest of the files for the installed application.
And that might become quite a significant issue for some of us. Some plugins are in fact 64bit and working fine within Logic but their installers are 32bit only. So on a fresh install, you'd have to wave them a bye-bye.
Can't imagine that developers are going to let their products die on one platform just because of that though (or at least I hope not).
That’s exactly what Cakewalk did.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

mrj1nx wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:04 pm Here's a bit of a left field concern. When uploading music to youtube, you have to click a box saying that you're not using any sounds or loops that are "freely" available in garage band or logic. I don't know exactly what this means in practice, but the essential question becomes, can a producer use anything that comes with logic then? Or is all of it off limits. This is not clearly stated in that youtube upload page. Anyone else dug deeper on this one?
It says that? I never saw that when uploading, or anything specifically related to Logic or GB. And the only google search backtracks right to your post.

Yes you can use everything of it. It might happen that if someone used a full song loop partially and claimed copyright that youtube content detectors will trigger but you can dispute that.

mrj1nx wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:04 pm Here's a bit of a left field concern. When uploading music to youtube, you have to click a box saying that you're not using any sounds or loops that are "freely" available in garage band or logic.
I have never seen such a box. Can you point me to a reproduceable procedure resulting in that box?
Apart from that, I'm sure it's nonsense. The sounds and loops coming with GB/Logic are explicitely copyright free ones. And well, if they really meant it that way, they would have to take Rihannas "Umbrella" down instantly as the beat is a pretty much unaltered GB loop.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

jancivil wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:23 am Well, a Youtube takedown of that specifically will tend to have been instigated by EZ Drummer... I don't know who you mean by 'they', there; YT doing takedowns of tracks with the reasoning 'MIDI files owned by EZ Drummer' is another thing than for any other entity to claim ownership
EZ Drummer isn't claiming anything, 'they'-copyright owner-label-publisher of song where that EZ Drummer pattern is used is claiming their right on it, don't know what is confusing you, publisher now owns that pattern because it's released in one of their songs, algorithm scans labels catalog and find the match (in this case that EZ Drummer pattern as audio recording), they don't want to monetize even, they want take down, but craziest thing is that label now owns EZ Drummer pattern that tons of people used in their music and as time goes by it will get worse...

Sascha Franck wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:03 pm they would have to take Rihannas "Umbrella" down instantly as the beat is a pretty much unaltered GB loop.
Publisher who released Umbrella now owns that loop and can claim rights on it, because it's part of their release, that's what's up really and that's what's happening these days, algorithm find it based on their catalog and anyone that used same loop get's notice for take down.

So you will loose dispute of course over some major publisher and I seriously doubt even Apple will go on court after some old loops either, but they will find another smart way to ensure their future, folks that are really screwed are ones that used those old loops... so if Apple or Warner claim their right, it's the same, you will loose dispute and you will be forced to take it down so you don't get a strike.

Google services are run by mindless algorithms and Google think this is good. Fools.

Anyway: What does all this have to do with the subject? YouTube is one place to put your stuff. Eventually it will make itself irrelevant. It might take a while, but they’re clearly going to see to fulfilling that prophecy. It’s a shit product. Don’t depend on it for income.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:50 pm
jancivil wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:23 am Well, a Youtube takedown of that specifically will tend to have been instigated by EZ Drummer... I don't know who you mean by 'they', there; YT doing takedowns of tracks with the reasoning 'MIDI files owned by EZ Drummer' is another thing than for any other entity to claim ownership
EZ Drummer isn't claiming anything, 'they'-copyright owner-label-publisher of song where that EZ Drummer pattern is used is claiming their right on it, don't know what is confusing you, publisher now owns that pattern because it's released in one of their songs, algorithm scans labels catalog and find the match (in this case that EZ Drummer pattern as audio recording), they don't want to monetize even, they want take down, but craziest thing is that label now owns EZ Drummer pattern that tons of people used in their music and as time goes by it will get worse...
What's "confusing" me? :dog: I'm writing clear sentences, you really are not.

Has this been decided in court or do you simply accept that an entity "owns" a rhythmic pattern merely because they asserted it at Youtube? You're confused about the meaning of ownership. A mere rhythmic pattern cannot be copyrighted in the real world. If some publisher has claimed ownership, it won't hold up in a court of law.

You seem a little unhinged here.

I'M never going to run into a problem because my music is original. I wouldn't rely on unadulterated EZ Drummer patterns that some loser publisher is avid to control in the first place. Get a life, seriously.

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:08 pm Publisher who released Umbrella now owns that loop and can claim rights on it, because it's part of their release, that's what's up really and that's what's happening these days, algorithm find it based on their catalog and anyone that used same loop get's notice for take down.
No, the publisher doesn't own that loop at all. It's still a copyright free loop. The reason your stuff might be taken down is the algorithm being triggered by that loop. But that doesn't mean anything apart from the algorithm not working properly.
Besides, grooves can't be copyrighted. Only melodies, lyrics and partially harmonic progressions can.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Explain that to people who needs to go to court or take down their music from You Tube. I'm out.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”