Sononym sample management/browser

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sononym

This is the most interesting audio music software in years. Im blown away.

For our Windows 10 users:

We've become aware that some Windows 10 installations are affected by a recent security update.
It seems that a file that usually comes with all Windows installations got removed - the file is called vcomp140.dll and should be located in the Windows/system32 folder.
When this file is not present, Sononym will not be able to index files.

We will prepare a version of the software that doesn't require this file, but until then you could also download the file from Microsoft, it's part of the Visual C++ Redistributable package for Visual Studio: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48145

pinki wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:54 pm This is the most interesting audio music software in years. Im blown away.
Thanks - much appreciated!
Last edited by danoise on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

50% Black Friday Deal announced:

https://www.sononym.net/blog/black-friday-2018/

danoise wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:02 pm We've become aware that some Windows 10 installations are affected by a recent security update.
Happy to announce that an update has arrived that fixes this issue:
https://www.sononym.net/blog/new-release-1.0.3/

The update contains other improvements too. Here's the quick changelog:

Bugfixes
* Fixed: possible crash while exploring folders with special characters (all platforms).
* Fixed: drag-and-drop behaviour when dragging file out of the application and immediately dragging back in.
* Fixed: export behavior for collections should never schedule more than one export.
* Fixed: similarity search from the waveform player didn’t work with files from a collection.
* Fixed: similarity search from a collection could fail when the file originated from an unmounted library.
* Fixed: sometimes, the explore tab could show content from the home folder instead of the selected location.
* Fixed (Windows): fixed an issue that could render file indexing inoperative on some installations.

Tweaks & Improvements:

* Improved pitch detection
* Automatic check for updates

Great updates. Really enjoying the increase in productivity since I've been using Sononym.

Lots of thoughtful things. Like not giving non-loops a BPM. Other sample managers do and it creates more work to sort through.

The search criteria is fantastic. And there's nice inspiration with the random play, which can then launch a similarity (or dissimilarity) search.

Looking forward to rx2 support in particular!

Second on Rex support

Another nice option would be to hear last sample again when flicking through on random

sometimes im flicking through and press next when the last sample played was actually quite nice

Good idea! In that case, a history/log view might be a better workflow than devoting a menu item just 1 item. But I can see shortcuts for "go back 1".

Needs an ability to override their category assignment when it gets it wrong, which it does quite a lot

Also some sort of customisation of categories and tagging would be great

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:41 pm Needs an ability to override their category assignment when it gets it wrong, which it does quite a lot
Yup, I recall that being requested in perhaps another thread but seconding or thirding that. I do appreciate that it knows when it's a less firm guess and greys it as a secondary category. The state of technology here is amazing.
Also some sort of customisation of categories and tagging would be great
That would be fantastic. It would be bringing the AI to the masses by letting them train the software by giving it a personal corpus. But this could get hairy. You could easily wreck a database you developed over years by making mistakes in what you're feeding it.

Yeah but if it makes mistakes, which it does, it is already introducing errors into the database, automatically. It's already messing up my own system, e.g. I have sounds sorted into subfolders, one is a subfolder of ambient drones but it is insisting the lower pitched ones like a didgeridoo are basses! I'd like to be able to tell it no, these are all ambient drones.

Without anything teaching it otherwise those errors will just continue to be compounded. Being able to correct it, as one would with similar AI like OCR and speech recognition should teach it to increase accuracy, at least in relation to your preferences.

I would see tagging as separate from that, an extra level of personalisation enabling more refined description of sounds by the person that knows them best, you.

Syncing Synonym (therefore stretching/slicing should be integrated) to your DAW would be the knees bees (e.g. Rewire) and support of MIDI files, of course.

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:58 am Yeah but if it makes mistakes, which it does, it is already introducing errors into the database, automatically. It's already messing up my own system, e.g. I have sounds sorted into subfolders, one is a subfolder of ambient drones but it is insisting the lower pitched ones like a didgeridoo are basses! I'd like to be able to tell it no, these are all ambient drones.
How it is messing up an existing system? None of the sample databases are moving files around.

I suspect what you really want is a version of Samplism with some level of audio auto-detection (as Samplism only tags based on names). Samplism lets you tag to your heart's content. Sononym seems to be more about discovering sounds that are similar to each other without paying attention to their actual sources. If something "a bit plinky" turns up a bass, I'd be surprised - but maybe not and maybe it fits with what I want. How the software tags it isn't hugely important in that context. FWIW I bought both Samplism and Sononym because they are tackling different requirements.

Sononym is also attacking a really complicated problem so it's going to make mistakes at these early stages.

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:53 am
aMUSEd wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:58 am Yeah but if it makes mistakes, which it does, it is already introducing errors into the database, automatically. It's already messing up my own system, e.g. I have sounds sorted into subfolders, one is a subfolder of ambient drones but it is insisting the lower pitched ones like a didgeridoo are basses! I'd like to be able to tell it no, these are all ambient drones.

Sononym is also attacking a really complicated problem so it's going to make mistakes at these early stages.
Yes I realise it's early days, which is why I bought it regardless as it shows promise.

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:53 am
How it is messing up an existing system? None of the sample databases are moving files around.

It's not moving stuff around but it is cutting across how I've already organised samples, I would prefer an AI tool that works collaboratively with the user than just does its own thing and ignores my own organisation and categories.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”