Sononym sample management/browser

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sononym

bundoo wrote:maybe a bit cheeky but a discount for renoise users would be a sweetener
I might be in for a KVR group buy, if such a thing was happening (i'm not a Renoise user)

danoise wrote:> One thing id love is a random shuffle mode on sample results list

There's a weighted random select action (with shortcut) if you want to pick samples by throwing dice :)

It's "weighted" in the sense that when you're sorting by category or doing a similarity search, the topmost results are the most interesting/relevant so these results will be given priority.
Can you explain how this works? Cheers

Not a very responsive company. I have sent feedback and questions without and confirmation of follow up... Not a good sign.

bundoo wrote:Can you explain how this works? Cheers
It's simple enough - say that you have a couple hundred search results in front of you, sorted by their filename? Pushing the random shortcut will take you to a random sample within that list.

But if you had enabled a category filter (say, Snares) the most relevant results are displayed at the top.
And when this is true, the random will subtly change behavior: now, Sononym will still pick a the random result from somewhere between the top and bottom but with a preference towards results that appear near the top of the list - this is what "weighted" refers to.

The same is true when displaying similar sounds, as this is also a mode where results near the top are considered more relevant.
Last edited by danoise on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Scotty wrote:Not a very responsive company. I have sent feedback and questions without and confirmation of follow up... Not a good sign.
Could you perhaps PM me your email address? We try to answer each and every email personally, and I'm not aware of any unanswered messages.

danoise wrote:
bundoo wrote:Can you explain how this works? Cheers
It's simple enough - say that you have a couple hundred search results in front of you, sorted by their filename? Pushing the random shortcut will take you to a random sample within that list.

But if you had enabled a category filter (say, Snares) the most relevant results are displayed at the top.
And when this is true, the random will subtly change behavior: now, Sononym will still pick a the random result from somewhere between the top and bottom but with a preference towards results that appear near the top of the list - this is what "weighted" refers to.

The same is true when displaying similar sounds, as this is also a mode where results near the top are considered more relevant.
Thanks but can't find the shortcut:

https://www.sononym.net/docs/manual/shortcuts/

Oops. You're right - it's not listed in the docs. Will add it ASAP :tu:
Edit: documentation pages now includes the missing shortcuts.

But when you launch Sononym, look in the Playback menu (Playback > Play Random File)
On Windows, it's CTRL + Shift + Space
Last edited by danoise on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

that works thanks

We just released v1.0.2 with general improvements to stability and performance.
This should be particularly noticeable on MacOS, where some "random" crashes were being reported.

Note that this update can be installed on top of the previous one - all configuration files, libraries etc. will not be affected.

https://www.sononym.net/download/

This is great btw

Making a new album with basically Sononym and Renoise

Suggestion: right click on sample / add to new renoise instrument

Integrate the two!!!!!!!!

Also the play 'random' sample command should also have the option to be purely random and not 'most interesting'...as we all know sometimes the least interesting is the most interesting! Maybe I'm not quite as clever as your explanation demands...just want pure random if possible.

bundoo wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:00 am Making a new album with basically Sononym and Renoise
Sweet :party:

As for Renoise integration, I'm putting some final touches on a "Sononym tool". Will post it over in the XRNX development topic later. And I wish it was that easy to integrate other DAWs too - Renoise scripting is frigging awesome, with samples being front and center.
bundoo wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:00 am just want pure random if possible.
Well that's easy. Just reset all filters and press the random shortcut.
No sorting, no weighting - just a random result from a pool of XX samples :)

danoise wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:55 am I'm putting some final touches on a "Sononym tool". Will post it over in the XRNX development topic later.
http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topi ... n-preview/

Did I mention that Renoise scripting is awesome :hyper:

Personally I would like to see a right click send to new renoise instrument or replace currently selected instrument option in Sononym. I'm not really interested in auditioning from renoise.

@bundoo: sounds a bit like "spot-to-timeline" in audiofinder, if you know that feature? Didn't do it this way, because that's basically a button that doesn't yet exist in Sononym. Not that it's impossible to add, but we'd have to make sure that it could be made to work with more DAWs than our rather niche (admit it) tracker software.

That said, I'm a big fan of replacing sounds while listening in context. That's something that would usually be limited to plugins, as they can sit somewhere on a track and can receive effects and whatnot.
But it's better than this IMO because you're pushing the sample to the actual project - not just "hosting" the sample, as would be the case for a plugin sampler...using many instances of a plugin is bound to become messy at some later stage.

Ideally I would want to support both possibilities, something that can "push" samples into the daw/host (what you're asking for) and functionality like what the sononymph tool offers. And to support this in as many DAWs as possible.

I suppose my requirements are niche within niche.

A simple front end of Sononym (with just categories) in renoise would be nice. Just dont want to have to switch windows. So I can randomise sample search results or use your audition in place flow....then import to selected or new instrument.

One way would be to have an empty instrument or sample slot...then nympth doesnt reference a file for similarities and instead accesses either a category or random...which can then be auditioned according to time division

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”