General questions on Reaper

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would actually prefer the Cessna of DAW's. That's why I was using Mulab for a few years, it seemed simple at first, but I never really liked it. All the others I have tried so far were way too bloated for my needs.

fluffy_little_something wrote: I would actually prefer the Cessna of DAW's. That's why I was using Mulab for a few years, it seemed simple at first, but I never really liked it. All the others I have tried so far were way too bloated for my needs.
Even EnergyXT?

Its about as light-weight as it gets while not sacrificing automation, a proper mixer, etc.

(Its even modular!)

ENV1 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:27 pm
InLight-Tone wrote: Reaper is an overly-complicated headache of a DAW, but it's great if you want to endlessly tweak your setup and NEVER write any music. The perfect procrastination DAW. By the time you get a workable setup you could have.....
Cessna fliers often say similar things about the F-16

"Too complicated, too many controls to handle, too tough to get off the ground. With my Cessna i just hop in, hit the throttle, and im airborne".

Of course the F-16 is still a nice airframe, its just not for Cessna fliers.

:hihi:
I have a background in IT and spent quite a bit of time in Linux as well, but Reaper as a DAW is a nice premise but in my opinion, the developers need to work on Native infrastructure and not rely on scripts to do the major lifting...
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

ENV1 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:43 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: I would actually prefer the Cessna of DAW's. That's why I was using Mulab for a few years, it seemed simple at first, but I never really liked it. All the others I have tried so far were way too bloated for my needs.
Even EnergyXT?

Its about as light-weight as it gets while not sacrificing automation, a proper mixer, etc.

Last time I checked it was 32-bit only.
(Its even modular!)

andy4trance wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:24 pm Yes there is an auto arm option for your tracks, that "o" on the record button of the tracks becomes "A". Check Kenny Gioia's videos, or ask the nice people on the reaper forum.
There is nothing you can't personalize to your process in reaper. The only thing is to keep track and document your setups if you take large breaks from music making...
Have to bring that issue up again. I did find the "Automatic record-arm when track selected" option when right-clicking the red recording LED of the track, but I have not found an option to make that behavior the default for all tracks and all projects. Is there any?

Reaper is a great DAW but not compatible with some plugins.
There is a bug with stuck midi notes and plugins GUI refresh.

InLight-Tone wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:17 am Reaper is an overly-complicated headache of a DAW, but it's great if you want to endlessly tweak your setup and NEVER write any music. The perfect procrastination DAW. By the time you get a workable setup you could have put out another album's worth of tracks from Cubase, Studio One, Logic or Live, but hey you've got another 117 themes to try out first, but the one you like doesn't have long enough track names, so you have to go learn Walter to fix that, and buy Heda's scripts to add a butt ugly funky inspector that most DAW's come with out of the box, then learn to tweak that how you want it etc. etc.......
Agree it's easy to fall in this trap. Yesterday, I deleted dozens of themes I had tried and finally I use the Official one.

dupont wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:17 pm Reaper is a great DAW but not compatible with some plugins.
How does that show? Hard to imagine the stuck midi note problem when people use Reaper particularly because it handles massive projects so well.

And which plugins are not compatible?
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I just use one theme....

Default Commla 5 :wink:

Just like a scribble strip on an analog console,if the names are too long,use an abbreviation...

The biggest problems with Cessna pilots stepping into an F16,seems to be with the acceleration and also when they press the buttons marked "Cannon" and "Missile" :party:
No auto tune...

fluffy_little_something wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:23 pm
dupont wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:17 pm Reaper is a great DAW but not compatible with some plugins.
How does that show? Hard to imagine the stuck midi note problem when people use Reaper particularly because it handles massive projects so well.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=35196
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php ... tuck+notes
stuck notes with tyrell N6, reported many times
GUI refresh lazzy with microtonic plugin

digitalboytn wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:45 pm The biggest problems with Cessna pilots stepping into an F16,seems to be with the acceleration and also when they press the buttons marked "Cannon" and "Missile" :party:
So Cessna pilots should stay away from a F16! :dog:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

dupont wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:36 am
fluffy_little_something wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:23 pm

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=35196
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php ... tuck+notes
stuck notes with tyrell N6, reported many times
GUI refresh lazzy with microtonic plugin
OK.
The compatibility issue doesn't really matter to me as I am on Windows.
The stuck notes issue, strange that they don't fix it, it seems to be anything but new and they release updates regularly...

fluffy_little_something wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:34 pm I would actually prefer the Cessna of DAW's. That's why I was using Mulab for a few years, it seemed simple at first, but I never really liked it. All the others I have tried so far were way too bloated for my needs.
You should try Studio One at some point. IMO.

:hihi:

No joke. :) I find it's one of the least bloated DAW's. Actually, that's one of the reasons I like it so much.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”