General questions on Reaper

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:Actually, I do use that menu in order to add new tracks.
Of course. As I said.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Was just looking at the change log of the latest version and wondering about the number of bug fixes. Why were (and probably are) there still so many bugs in such late versions?

Anyway, is it possible to automatically make Reaper put the GUI window of the selected track to the front? It is a bit confusing when one has half a dozen GUI windows of the same synth open :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:06 pm Was just looking at the change log of the latest version and wondering about the number of bug fixes. Why were (and probably are) there still so many bugs in such late versions?
Because Reaper developers know how to make right bugs. Reaper bugs are well designed, they don't appear randomly out of nowhere. They are isolated, usually easily repeatable, explainable and because of that easily fixable. So they can fix a lot of them.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:06 pm Was just looking at the change log of the latest version and wondering about the number of bug fixes. Why were (and probably are) there still so many bugs in such late versions?

Anyway, is it possible to automatically make Reaper put the GUI window of the selected track to the front? It is a bit confusing when one has half a dozen GUI windows of the same synth open :hihi:
go to preferences >plugins and check "only allow one fx chain window open at a time", then check "open track fx window on track selection change"

Thanks a lot :)

ruslan.st wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:59 pm
Because Reaper developers know how to make right bugs. Reaper bugs are well designed, they don't appear randomly out of nowhere. They are isolated, usually easily repeatable, explainable and because of that easily fixable. So they can fix a lot of them.
Wow. So they make bugs just for fixing them? Like raising partridges for freeing them and hunting them later? That way they can have a long list of bug fixes every release. That is clever! :tu:

Why does Reaper sometimes launch the previous project and sometimes an empty project? Seems a bit inconsistent...

fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:23 pm Why does Reaper sometimes launch the previous project and sometimes an empty project? Seems a bit inconsistent...
If you hold shift when starting it will not load the previous project...

Reaper is an overly-complicated headache of a DAW, but it's great if you want to endlessly tweak your setup and NEVER write any music. The perfect procrastination DAW. By the time you get a workable setup you could have put out another album's worth of tracks from Cubase, Studio One, Logic or Live, but hey you've got another 117 themes to try out first, but the one you like doesn't have long enough track names, so you have to go learn Walter to fix that, and buy Heda's scripts to add a butt ugly funky inspector that most DAW's come with out of the box, then learn to tweak that how you want it etc. etc.......
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

InLight-Tone wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:17 am Reaper is an overly-complicated headache of a DAW, but it's great if you want to endlessly tweak your setup and NEVER write any music. The perfect procrastination DAW.
This is complete and utter BS !
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:47 am
InLight-Tone wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:17 am Reaper is an overly-complicated headache of a DAW, but it's great if you want to endlessly tweak your setup and NEVER write any music. The perfect procrastination DAW.
This is complete and utter BS !
No that's my experience 3 times over. I paid my dues and I want my LIFE back!!!

Reaper becomes overly-complicated if you install too many 3rd party extensions, scripts, actions, themes. Then all that 3rd party crap, most of which is lower quality than Reaper itself, drains too much attention to maintain and organize.
Default Reaper is very good, functional and not so complicated. There are some inconsistencies in default setup, but nothing critical.

https://blog.native-instruments.com/loi ... n-massive/

Here's an example of a pro who uses Reaper because it can handle all of the data that he needs to compile for Playstation game sounds...

He also speaks about having a deadline - like most pros......

So I guess he uses Reaper so that he can spend all of his time tweaking the program and getting a headache ?

No...It must be because his budget is so small that they can only afford Reaper ? :lol:

But that doesn't seem to be the case at all...

So maybe he chooses to use Reaper as the heart & soul of his workflow just because he wants to ?

"Loïc Couthier is the supervising sound designer within the Creative Services Group of PlayStation Europe in London. "

"As our DAW we use Reaper, because it is very powerful in managing huge sessions with a high number of assets ready for iteration and export."

So Mr In Light Tone...

Alas...your headaches with Reaper are probably just a result of "user error"...

Like most complaints about software on these forums :wink:
No auto tune...

It's hardly user error and that guy is doing sound design. Sure Reaper is great for that but I do complex midi orchestrations and the midi editing in Reaper sucks. Sure you can add on Julian Sadars scripts to work with midi CC's but they are finicky at best, like driving a go kart on the freeway...

InLight-Tone wrote: Reaper is an overly-complicated headache of a DAW, but it's great if you want to endlessly tweak your setup and NEVER write any music. The perfect procrastination DAW. By the time you get a workable setup you could have.....
Cessna fliers often say similar things about the F-16

"Too complicated, too many controls to handle, too tough to get off the ground. With my Cessna i just hop in, hit the throttle, and im airborne".

Of course the F-16 is still a nice airframe, its just not for Cessna fliers.

:hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”