[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

BezO wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:12 pm -More colors for tracks/channels, and a color wheel order to the options
jamcat wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:05 am This. You should be able to create your own custom color palette.
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.p ... e25888329e

Somebody made this

antic604 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:48 pm
bundoo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:03 pm every couple of pages ill remind presonus to implement tape pitch time stretch functionality in the next update

please
Isn't it possible to disable time-stretching for given track / event? Then resizing it shoud result in tape-like behaviour, i.e. if you make the event longer, the pitch should get lower (at work now, so can't verify this).
No, please do not start any rumours (check first, then post). The stretching algorithms are one of the big weaknesses of Studio One. The Elastique integration is very bad and has some of the worst phase smearing. Audio quantization is also by far the worst that a DAW has to offer. I gave up and put Studio One aside for years.
THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:43 pm
bundoo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:03 pm every couple of pages ill remind presonus to implement tape pitch time stretch functionality in the next update

please
Unless you have made a request vie their Answers page and have people vote for it, it really won't make it onto their radar of priority, and even then.. the probability of what you are requesting, is akin to a stab in the dark because there are so many requests. Repeating your request in this thread every couple of pages would be futile and really ineffective besides doing nothing but unnecessarily cluttering this thread, when Presonus themselves may not even be monitoring it. Putting it on Answers will enable you to gauge the popularity of your request in a more meaningful way among others as well...so that would be a better course to take... Just be aware that it may take a year or two depending on what Presonus have planned before your request is fulfilled. Think of it like a line graph that Presonus follow... as release versions are released.

https://answers.presonus.com/questions/ ... e-requests
https://answers.presonus.com/7607/tape- ... stretching
It's there for several years now and also has a pretty good ranking. However this forum/blog voting thing is just messed up. Nobody knows how to use it that's why I would assume(!) these rankings do not represent the average Studio One DAW user. I guess out of necessity they misused some free blog code as a voting tool. Just totally unfriendly. You can see when even eager Studio One forum users don't even know about highly ranked function requests (as you guys) or do not even know that this platform exists...

Anyway, as I said I gave up. Bad stretching, strange automation and broken audio rendering for years.
No wonder, there are hardly any professional Studio One users (by professional I mean people who earn 10+ hours a day working on a DAW without creating Tutorials for entertainment).

tedannemann wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:44 pm No wonder, there are hardly any professional Studio One users (by professional I mean people who earn 10+ hours a day working on a DAW without creating Tutorials for entertainment).
Drumsound & Bassline Smith swear by it and they seem to be doing pretty well.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Kongru wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:50 pm
tedannemann wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:44 pm No wonder, there are hardly any professional Studio One users (by professional I mean people who earn 10+ hours a day working on a DAW without creating Tutorials for entertainment).
Drumsound & Bassline Smith swear by it and they seem to be doing pretty well.
True, but Andy is still using Cubase as well as Live. Headhunterz is doing also well on making a living with Studio One. Bjorn Akesson, Bass Modulators (still Logic as well) could also be mentioned. Well, for the fact that the software already exists for 10 years, I find the professional application (billboard, mastering, broadcasting, film music etc.) very poor...

tedannemann wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:44 pm ...The stretching algorithms are one of the big weaknesses of Studio One. The Elastique integration is very bad and has some of the worst phase smearing.

https://answers.presonus.com/7607/tape- ... stretching
It's there for several years now and also has a pretty good ranking. ...
These are 2 sadly very true points against S1 for me too...

I often here people rave about how good timestretching in S1 works...

Not for me though... especially for drumloops with hihats with a sharp attack it´s absolutely unuseable... sounds nearly like little echoes of the Hihat attack which ruins the complete sound and as Presonus forgot to make slicing useable this isn´t an (native) option neither...

Reaper uses the same elastique algos and sound much much better on this task... for slicing they have even the possibility to render a trigger midi clip but they forgot to include an instrument to use for slicing... :lol:

These two should join together... S1 got the instruments and Reaper got the midi clip to trigger them... :hug: :tu:

I ask myself anyway why the big boys still don´t have any slice algos for fitting drumloops to project tempo...
Ableton got it´s "Beat" mode, FL Studio got even 2 modes "slice map" and "slice stretch", Bitwig got it´s slice mode but all the big ones still rely on elastique algos for such a simple task... and often fail... this is neither CPU efficient nor does it sound good in most cases

Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:11 pmI ask myself anyway why the big boys still don´t have any slice algos for fitting drumloops to project tempo...
Ableton got it´s "Beat" mode, FL Studio got even 2 modes "slice map" and "slice stretch", Bitwig got it´s slice mode but all the big ones still rely on elastique algos for such a simple task... and often fail... this is neither CPU efficient nor does it sound good in most cases
True, however the competition is way ahead in terms of stretching/shifting. Ableton Live has indeed several options for stretching rhythmical elements including the Beat Mode. FL Studio has a vast amount of algorithms including „Slice Stretch“. Logic Flex Time has several great sounding options including the „Slicing“ and also „Rhythmic“ algorithms. Pro Tools does offer several options including „Rhythmic“ as well as the Beat Detective. Bitwig currently has in my ears the best developed algorithms including the „Slice“ mode, which just sounds good. Cubase has a turntable mode at least (but also nothing useful for rhythmical elements). And in a few months Universal Audio’s Luna will offer the new developed „Razor Blade“ algorithm, which they advertise as a game changer (we’ll hear).

Anyway, I would still use the workaround with Melodyne in Studio One (there's a rhythmic algorithm) but it doesn't sound that well compared to the others and after all these years Studio One still can't get effects to bounce correctly (areas are swallowed/shifted) so it's useless. Studio One can't even stretch a simple foor-on-the-floor kick by a few BPM without immediately ruining the sound. That's such a pity and I hope that this topic will finally get a higher priority, now that Universal Audio is in the starting blocks with two new, almost artifact-free algorithms developed in-house.

I don´t know... are there requests for better timestretching in their answer database??
I know of the request for a tapestyle mode though...

I find S1's timestretch is really limited and they don't seem to care. No repitch mode, no slice mode, etc. They are using the same algorithms as everyone else but they can't seem to make it work properly or sound good and it's been that way since at least 2.x.

I'm hoping they address that in the next version.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:51 pm no slice mode,
That's really crazy. Even Tracktion Waveform has this implemented to auto slice a loop in their sampler and export the corresponding MIDI clip to a track. You'd think with the ATOM pad there would be a slice function.

apoclypse wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:51 pm I find S1's timestretch is really limited and they don't seem to care. No repitch mode, no slice mode, etc. They are using the same algorithms as everyone else but they can't seem to make it work properly or sound good and it's been that way since at least 2.x.

If you want something close to a slice mode go to the audio bends tool-under action select slice or you can use split to grid. Just assign a macro for slicing with with what I just said done. You don't see the difference in the timestretching with 4.6? They made improvements in that area. I use loops sometimes, samples for remixes and can see the difference.

charmcitymusic wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:52 pm
apoclypse wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:51 pm I find S1's timestretch is really limited and they don't seem to care. No repitch mode, no slice mode, etc. They are using the same algorithms as everyone else but they can't seem to make it work properly or sound good and it's been that way since at least 2.x.

If you want something close to a slice mode go to the audio bends tool-under action select slice or you can use split to grid. Just assign a macro for slicing with with what I just said done. You don't see the difference in the timestretching with 4.6? They made improvements in that area. I use loops sometimes, samples for remixes and can see the difference.
Yes using audio bend and let it slice is the only workaround as far as native solutions are prefered...
Nevertheless goes this hand in hand with a lot manual work as the internal transient detection detects just bs here... I have to adjust nearly every bend marker manually...
So this is absolutely not done with just a macro...

I personally don´t see any improvements in terms of timestretch with 4.6... was anything about timestretching noted in the changelog???

Steve Bolivar wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:33 pm
apoclypse wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:51 pm no slice mode,
That's really crazy. Even Tracktion Waveform has this implemented to auto slice a loop in their sampler and export the corresponding MIDI clip to a track. You'd think with the ATOM pad there would be a slice function.
Studio one got that as well and they implemented this quite neat workflow wise...
Sadly:
1) is the internal transient detection for automatic slicing quite weak and misses many transients or simply sets them wrong
2) creates this process no midi clip with the trigger notes... so in best case this can be used for chopping and rearranging but not to have a sliced drumloop instead of a timestretched clip...

As I mentioned in the posting before... this all needs a lot of manual work to have it done properly...

Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:20 pm

Yes using audio bend and let it slice is the only workaround as far as native solutions are prefered...
Nevertheless goes this hand in hand with a lot manual work as the internal transient detection detects just bs here... I have to adjust nearly every bend marker manually...

I personally don´t see any improvements in terms of timestretch with 4.6... was anything about timestretching noted in the changelog???
The audio bend tool is based on the same Elastique engine, the transient detection is pretty inaccurate and bouncing audio bend edited audio files result in hefty errors. Anyway, can you tell me more about these improvements in 4.6. I don't know anything about them and would like to test out these improvements.

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

tedannemann wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:27 pm
Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:20 pm

The audio bend tool is based on the same Elastique engine, the transient detection is pretty inaccurate and bouncing audio bend edited audio files result in hefty errors. Anyway, can you tell me more about these improvements in 4.6. I don't know anything about them and would like to test out these improvements.
I only use bend markers for slicing the audio without using any timestretch...

You quoted the wrong person in terms of improvements though... 8)
charmcitymusic was posting about that...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”