[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

apoclypse wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:40 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:45 am Don't know what that means, but I'm currently having a hard time with this program ( Yeah, I'm a sub, sue me ) for my number one. It's so complex. How do you actually Make music!!!!!!!!!!
Really? I've always found it to be the easiest of the "traditional" DAWs. What are you comparing it too?
For example:

Have 4 tracks you want to have FX to. You cannot group them to a bus or they will have the artifact of the FX showing through regardless of the bus setting. Make a bus "send" and you cannot effect the "sends" individually. This is EASY PEASY in Reason for example.

Hosts frustrate me. No matter which one it is, they have terrible inconsistencies that make me want to vomit.

Huh. Has anybody been able to install the Presonus Hub on a Win7 machine? I just now d/l'ed, and it insists that it wants Win10 under it. Trying to install in Compatibility Mode doesn't work.

Not a big deal if so, we don't need to have the dreary conversation about 'upgrading'. Just wondering if this is a temporary issue, or whether there's a workaround for installing the freebie VSTs, or wrapped plugs, or whatever they are.

reggie1979 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:09 amHave 4 tracks you want to have FX to. You cannot group them to a bus or they will have the artifact of the FX showing through regardless of the bus setting. Make a bus "send" and you cannot effect the "sends" individually. This is EASY PEASY in Reason for example.
That's how mixers work in the real world. A post fader send to FX doesn't change it's level with the bus level as they're two independent things. That's one of the uses for VCA's to have remote control over mixer channels for situations like that.

For the most part, producers are mostly not engineers so some really basic routing solutions escape them. For example, look at the image below. The three different levels of aux sends feed bus 2 that's grouped to the other bus, and bus 2 feeds the FX, which keeps the relative FX return levels intact without a VCA. When you pull the string bus down, the relative send levels collected in bus 2 go down as well.

I was surprised to see that hub was windows 10 only as well.

GreyLion wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:49 am Huh. Has anybody been able to install the Presonus Hub on a Win7 machine? I just now d/l'ed, and it insists that it wants Win10 under it. Trying to install in Compatibility Mode doesn't work.

Not a big deal if so, we don't need to have the dreary conversation about 'upgrading'. Just wondering if this is a temporary issue, or whether there's a workaround for installing the freebie VSTs, or wrapped plugs, or whatever they are.
Win 10 64 bit only is the new normal.
VST3 Only is starting to creep in as well.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Did they permanently reduce the price of the Fat Channel Collection as well or is there a sale going on? Currently showing for about ~€173 where as it used to be several hundred. That never made any sense to me when you can get similar compressors and EQ's from other developers for much cheaper, that also work in any DAW.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:37 pm Did they permanently reduce the price of the Fat Channel Collection as well or is there a sale going on? Currently showing for about ~€173 where as it used to be several hundred. That never made any sense to me when you can get similar compressors and EQ's from other developers for much cheaper, that also work in any DAW.
Not sure about the collection, but Fat Channel XT (which is what you get free with 4.6) is just €53.78 regular price.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

I don't know what Presonus are smoking, but if my monitors were on fire, I'd be kinda worried.... as for this new VST Hub being Windows 10 only and Studio One 4.6xx being the last for Win 7.. I guess there is an insensitive there to keep your seat on the choochoo train... If you've hung back and not started migrating to Win10 yet due to whether you've been apprehensive or unsure about the best way to go about it, then do check out this thread for some help in doing that....

An oh, just a little reminder that I've updated page 1 with a new set of video's produced by Presonus, that were posted on Dec 16th. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwqR4dGdQS0
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I totally understand dropping technical support for Win7 and even for 32-bit. I'm perfectly willing to troubleshoot problems without costing Presonus any money for support, and if I can't get something fixed, I'll move on to another program that does work.

But I don't see why they'd feel a need to deliberately lock out anyone still running Win7. It still has 35% of the overall market, so this feels less like a programming necessity than like their bean counters deciding that it would be cheaper to cut all ties with Win7 as opposed to any sales loss they might experience.

I think they're making a mistake, but it's their business. Like I said, no big deal. If they break S1 v5, I'll move on to another DAW. It's just not that special in a highly saturated market. I'm perfectly happy with my current OS, and it's less hassle for me than spending the time and energy to do a clean install of Win10 and reloading and configuring close to a thousand plugins. I don't know of anything technological that Win10 offers exclusively, that anyone would need to implement to make a DAW or plug run properly. Then again, I'm much less knowledgeable about Win10... :P

GreyLion wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:52 am I totally understand dropping technical support for Win7 and even for 32-bit. I'm perfectly willing to troubleshoot problems without costing Presonus any money for support, and if I can't get something fixed, I'll move on to another program that does work.

But I don't see why they'd feel a need to deliberately lock out anyone still running Win7. It still has 35% of the overall market, so this feels less like a programming necessity than like their bean counters deciding that it would be cheaper to cut all ties with Win7 as opposed to any sales loss they might experience.

I think they're making a mistake, but it's their business. Like I said, no big deal. If they break S1 v5, I'll move on to another DAW. It's just not that special in a highly saturated market. I'm perfectly happy with my current OS, and it's less hassle for me than spending the time and energy to do a clean install of Win10 and reloading and configuring close to a thousand plugins. I don't know of anything technological that Win10 offers exclusively, that anyone would need to implement to make a DAW or plug run properly. Then again, I'm much less knowledgeable about Win10... :P
I suspect there are reasons which come from the roots which not only lay in the security area but are also linked to that of the development software framework in which Studio One is built on. When changes are made to that then you have to update everything twice, which in this case creates potential and un-forseen problems both in the development and delivery process. Retaining legacy platforms means double the work, slower delivery of updates and the reliability of them.

When it comes to individual users, the reality is that they probably only use around 10 to 30 plugins to cover all the basses required, out of the hundreds they may have per song. Ideally, we use the most CPU efficient, powerful, easy to use plugins that sound great, and are able to rescale.

In my own case, it was a learning experience, and I ended up doing some cool things with Windows 7, I'd never done before. There's a lot of scraps of incomplete info scattered about on installing Windows 10, so I had to do a lot of legwork to compile this process. That was the most time consuming part but with the guide I posted, you should have Windows 10 up and running and a large bulk of your plugins installed within a few days rather than a few weeks. You may find older legacy plugins will fail to work, however this will pretty much be an optimisation exersize over what you need and don't need...going forward.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Eh. I don't disagree with any of that, Intrancer. Still more hassle than it's worth to me, with too many potential gotchas involved. I own not a single piece of software that insists that I upgrade to Win10. A few have withdrawn support fo Win7, but none of them break when loaded in Win7. If it becomes a tsunami, I'll recalculate. Just so much easier to dump S1 right now if they go down that road.

I don't feel a need to chew on this isssue much. Will just wait and see.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:37 pm Did they permanently reduce the price of the Fat Channel Collection as well or is there a sale going on? Currently showing for about ~€173 where as it used to be several hundred.
It appears they reduced the prices, yes. IIRC the individual plugins were $79 each before and now they're $29 and they don't appear to be on sale. It makes sense I suppose given that the potential market for them is much larger now. The entire bundle is $149 now which is a ridiculously low price for 8 modeled EQ's plus 8 modeled comps (not including the free ones). That breaks down to less than $10 each.

Speaking honestly as someone who's been using those plugins for quite some time now, you could literally only those Comps and EQ's, only ever using the Fat Channels and no other Comp or EQ plugins for more conventional work. For EDM and similar maybe not so much as I don't think you can sidechain into that channel strip.

It's a little late... but like many videos, thy do fly under the radar from time to time....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa-2dj7yt_8

Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”