[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

I wish Presonus gave those "addons" plugins for free or with affordable price. Seems like their built-in effects won't be expanded anymore. Not sure If I'm going to upgrade to v5. There must be a veeery solid reason for that. For me the main reason to upgrade from v3 to v4 was a customized GUI.

Igro wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:01 pm I wish Presonus gave those "addons" plugins for free or with affordable price. Seems like their built-in effects won't be expanded anymore. Not sure If I'm going to upgrade to v5. There must be a veeery solid reason for that. For me the main reason to upgrade from v3 to v4 was a customized GUI.
Not sure what addon's you are meaning..but having not looked at Presonus's shop in several months, I did find some interesting new things there I've not seen before...it's all a bit more 3D like..

In fact...it really does give me an idea of just were the future of DAWs may go. Audio clips which rather than look and function predominately on the 2D plane, will rather be controllable in 3D space of the clip itself and not just limited to be processed within a plugin. This would open the doors to 3D positional aspects of sound and the level of EQ and many other effects, right within the DAW itself. Studio One does have Event FX which is is sort of similar but the idea I have having seen this, takes the concept to a whole new level. Right now Studio One allows you to lock clips/events in place so they don't move, and because they are locked, you could for example take advantage of that aspect and be able to manipulate the sound data within as mentioned above without moving them... I think this would open up new doors to ways in which to create surround sound sound tracks for films as well in a creative visual way, but differently. Presonus does have the really cool, unique thing called .musicloops which has a mired of different things associated to it now... so the doors are open.. to take this further... 3D.musicloops anyone...? :)

https://shop.presonus.com/Mastering-The-Mix-BASSROOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KSQ51EjoYQ
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

How well does SO integrate with hardware synths and effects?

Doc Brown wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:21 am How well does SO integrate with hardware synths and effects?
That's a broad question, it would help if you were more specific..
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Doc Brown wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:21 am How well does SO integrate with hardware synths and effects?
External effects? Very well. External synths? Very basic. You can basically create a MIDI track and send basic MIDI data back and forth. No external instrument plugins with latency compensation or device panels or transmitting/saving presets like you can in Cubase.

Marcus H. seems to always be working with good sounding music. :tu: All the clever DAW features in the world won't matter much if the music is bland or lifeless. Here's a "Saturday morning stem mix". I do this a couple times a month just to work with some better material. I get burned out by working with and listening to so many virtual instrument tracks so it's an occasional welcome change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXAhWZktSkc

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:36 am
Yeah, pretty vague sorry. I mean hooking up mainly hardware synths and SO having some kind of automatic latency compensation for aligning everything to the grid.

Doc Brown wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:01 pm
Yeah, pretty vague sorry. I mean hooking up mainly hardware synths and SO having some kind of automatic latency compensation for aligning everything to the grid.

I have a few external synthesizer keyboards attached to my Focusright Pro 14 audio interface and sometimes record directly into Studio One such as for embellishing drums, percussions and synth lines and have not encountered any issues in this area during my 5 years with SO. There is more information here vie these links which may answer any questions you may have to follow.

Automatic Delay Compensation

Studio One automatically compensates for the time delay that results from some VST and AU processing. This lets you avoid having to manually realign Tracks to compensate for that delay, and keeps all Tracks perfectly in sync regardless of the number of virtual plug-ins and effects you run. For more information on this topic, refer to the Automatic Plug-In Delay Compensation section....

Automatic Plug-In Delay Compensation

Some plug-in effects inherently have some delay, or latency. It takes a certain amount of time for these plug-ins to process the audio routed to them, which means the resulting output audio is slightly delayed. This especially applies to dynamics processor plug-ins that feature a look-ahead function, such as the included Compressor.

In Studio One, this delay is managed with plug-in delay compensation through the entire audio path. There are no settings to manage, as this feature is completely automatic. The sync and timing of every Audio Channel in your Song are automatically maintained, no matter what processing is being used.

The current total plug-in delay time is displayed in the left-side Transport, below the current sample rate.

https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/M ... _Delay.htm

In addition to that...the way you set this up if you don't know already...
Monitoring an External Instrument

To monitor and record the hardware audio output of an external instrument, one or more Audio Tracks need to be created to receive that output. This means that your external instrument needs to be physically connected to one or more inputs on your audio interface. Thus, monitoring an external instrument involves the following:

The Output of an Instrument Track is routed to the external instrument, which has been set up to receive MIDI input from Studio One.
The Instrument Track is monitor-enabled.
One or more Audio Tracks have been created and configured to use the Input Channels to which the external instrument’s audio output is connected.
The Audio Tracks are monitor-enabled.

With the above conditions met, you can play your Keyboard and see the Instrument Track meter moving. You will also see the related Audio Track meters moving, as well as hear the live audio input from the external instrument.

For a run down in using Low Latency Monitoring, Sound On Sound magazine has an in depth article about it here...

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ow-latency

Doc Brown wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:01 pm
It's not doing anything beyond creating a MIDI track to send data out, and a separate audio track to receive the audio in. For all Studio One knows, those are two completely different tracks that have nothing to do with each other. There's nothing, to my knowledge, like Cubase's External Instrument functionality. It's definitely a weak point in Studio One, which is very basic when it comes to working with hardware synths. Traditional MIDI has taken a backseat in S1 to date and that's one example of how.

You don't need an audio track for a hardware instrument return. Insert Pipeline on a Bus channel for the return. It brings in the audio without monitoring an audio input and you have one instrument track and one mixer channel. To print it render a stem of the bus

What does the TPR from the thread title mean? I searched this thread but didn't find anything. A google search came up with "Total Physical Response" or "Translocated Promoter Region". I can only think of "Tedious Presonus Ramble" but I feel that's gonna be far from the truth. Can anyone enlighten me?

Eclectus wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:08 pm What does the TPR from the thread title mean? I searched this thread but didn't find anything. A google search came up with "Total Physical Response" or "Translocated Promoter Region". I can only think of "Tedious Presonus Ramble" but I feel that's gonna be far from the truth. Can anyone enlighten me?
The answer you're looking for is that of the first three words of the very first post... ignorance can often come back and bite you. For reference, you should have searched... TPR Studio One. It's top in all search engines.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:14 pm
Eclectus wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:08 pm What does the TPR from the thread title mean? I searched this thread but didn't find anything. A google search came up with "Total Physical Response" or "Translocated Promoter Region". I can only think of "Tedious Presonus Ramble" but I feel that's gonna be far from the truth. Can anyone enlighten me?
The answer you're looking for is that of the first three words of the very first post... ignorance can often come back and bite you. For reference, you should have searched... TPR Studio One. It's top in all search engines.
If I google TPR Studio One, the first answers are a random page from this thread (not helpful), The Production Room A/V Recording Studio (not helpful), TPR CBD (yeah, I don't know) and TPR: The Source : NPR. I've never heard of the acronym TPR and obviously google has neither. Anyway, my "ignorance" has now "come back to bite me" and I guess I should be grateful to get off so easily. It will never happen again, I swear mama, I swear. Oh and next time I start a thread, I'll try to acronymise (is that a thing) the first three words of the OT, and add lots of brackets and dashes to make the title look like a formulaic maze from a kafkaian bureaucratic hell. Perhaps I too, can then show people how ignorant they are!

Look at the O P in the 1st page of this thread and the very first three words and there is your answer .....

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”