[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

Digivolt wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:07 pm
They're pretty long audio stems for a remix I'm working on, otherwise I would use Impact.
I can keep them on the same channel if I have them in the same row on the sequencing window, but for logic/sanity I would ideally like the separate cuts on different rows but as soon as I move one of the samples down, S1 treats this as creating a new track so routed to entirely new track on mixer, I was kind of hoping there was a way to separate cuts on different rows while retaining the same track :help:

Is what I'm trying to do in case I've explained it wrong

I can work around it but I was just wondering if there is an option to do what I'd prefer over work arounds
Have you looked at using Event FX instead which you can find from the Inspector Panel (click on the button 'Enable' to see the drop down mixer channel for the Event FX, it's pretty easy to miss atm). This way you can assign VST effect plugins to each audio clip separately and move them onto another audio channel as usual or all lined up. If CPU issues arise, you can always render the FX to track, but you can also reverse the process, 'Restore' later so your plugins that you used will return again. I think this might be what you're after.. Event FX is pretty cool to have and use it quite often myself.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I'll have a look into Event FX to see if it's what I'm after thanks

Next noob question, is there a way to have the volume slopes snap to grid ?

Not currently, no. To your other questions:

Event FX: Using the Inspector for those is an outdated workflow. If you want a plugin on an audio event just hold Alt and drop it on the event. You can also open an Event FX chain without going to the Inspector by clicking the little icon. The default Audio Editing macro toolbar has a Render Event FX button on it and there's a Restore Event FX action that you can bind as well.

Audio on one channel: The better way is to simply use a bus. Keep your audio separated on tracks but if you want to control their collective output, assign them to a bus channel.

Digivolt wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:52 pm Next noob question, is there a way to have the volume slopes snap to grid ?

Natm, you could however you could use the 'Split at Grid' function (right mouse click and select from menu or use a macro). Then merge the sample as one again, once done editing, much faster than using the slice tool on a lot of sections each time, but if it's just one or two, you can set the Snap setting to quantise from the top bar so that the mouse locks onto each line as you pass over and slice to the grid manually. The other route is using automation and drawing your shapes that way, or else use a plugin like Volume Shaper from cableguys for example.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

How do I get audio bounced/transformed from impact XT ? Everytime I try it throws out an empty audio track

Digivolt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:36 am How do I get audio bounced/transformed from impact XT ? Everytime I try it throws out an empty audio track
Providing that you have note data within the event (note clip), for Impact XT, it's simply a matter of creating an audio track or using an existing one and dragging the event to it where it will transform it automatically.

If you are bouncing events from Impact XT using the shortcut key combo for rendering to a new track, then you need to ensure that Impact XT is selected from the dropdown where the mute, solo, monitor and record buttons are located. Because if they are are not and it's set to none, you won't be able to bounce anything you have recorded. Similarly, if the event is muted, then you will not see / hear any audio.

An alternative method is to actually record live to an audio track using Impact as an audio source which you'll find from the dropdown menu I described above, and selecting Impact XT from the instruments popout. Any audio you've created can then be dragged onto the display of Impact XT or the pads.

In essence, you need note data created on the arrangement which triggers the sample playback of Impact XT. You can't currently drag any audio directly from Impact XT to anywhere else from the instrument device, although you can right click and search from explorer from the pad to locate the actual source samples that way and drag from there, providing they are not contained within a soundset)

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:29 am Providing that you have note data within the event (note clip), for Impact XT, it's simply a matter of creating an audio track or using an existing one and dragging the event to it where it will transform it automatically.
What do you mean (note clip) ?

If I make new audio tracks to copy the events to, it means new channels with no inserts (having actual sensible routing options would solve this) as I already have tracks coming from Impact with inserts, so it means I now have double the tracks/inserts which is poor design no ?

I don't want more tracks, why can't ImpactXT transform like I would for say Massive ? where the midi data gets replaced with audio and it's kept on the same channel

As much as I like S1 this just seems utterly stupid that their own in house software won't play nicely like it does with 3rd party software

As an example

I create audio track, drop kick 1 into it, I now have 2 tracks on the arranger, and 2 channels on the mixer (1 with zero inserts so I have to screw about putting them back on from original channel), how is that user friendly or workflow friendly ?

Surely there's a better method to this ?

I've tried selecting all ImpactXT tracks and transform but it just won't work properly and misses rendering some tracks leaving them as midi and not audio, if I try to transform just one single track it throws up empty audio, surely this is a bug if there's no other way to transform and have it actually work as you would expect ?

It wouldn't be as bad if I could right click on a piece of audio and specifically say which channel in the mixer I want it to route through as then at least I wouldn't have 26 channels, with 13 now redundant because they're the old impact routed channels, but I can't which is another poor design choice, as much I like S1 this is really stupid

hmm maybe not :dog:

Support were originally very helpful now they're just being obtuse or stubborn or both, sent them a link to this vid explaining exactly step by step what my issue was with transform and how I found what the problem was and how I fixed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roqK6yVka5Q

Now I keep asking them if this is intentional by design or it's a bug and support keep asking for remote access (told them that's not happening) and won't watch the vid even though I've ELI5 to them... I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall.

If this is actual intended design where I have to manually assign the channels in inspector despite Impact having already assigned mixer channels in order to transform then it is really shitty design, Impact should automatically update the inspector settings when channels are assigned but it seems by default it just assigns everything as stereo 1, even though the assigned mixer channels are working, so when you come to transform or render it renders only stereo1 for all your tracks unless you have changed it manually beforehand to reflect the mixer channels you have assigned.

Digivolt wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:16 pm Support were originally very helpful now they're just being obtuse or stubborn or both, sent them a link to this vid explaining exactly step by step what my issue was with transform and how I found what the problem was and how I fixed it

Now I keep asking them if this is intentional by design or it's a bug and support keep asking for remote access (told them that's not happening) and won't watch the vid even though I've ELI5 to them... I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall.

If this is actual intended design where I have to manually assign the channels in inspector despite Impact having already assigned mixer channels in order to transform then it is really shitty design, Impact should automatically update the inspector settings when channels are assigned but it seems by default it just assigns everything as stereo 1, even though the assigned mixer channels are working, so when you come to transform or render it renders only stereo1 for all your tracks unless you have changed it manually beforehand to reflect the mixer channels you have assigned.
Personally, I've never felt the need to get that deep with Impact XT in assigning separate tracks. I open up the pattern programmer, holding ALT plus double clicking to make an event, and making a pattern and either leaving it at that so everything is on one channel. If I want to bounce down I simply bounce to a new track CTRL+Alt+B and make a few edits, then maybe add some effects. In fact I barely used Impact at all previously before version 4 because I didn't like it's design, but now it's my go to device for making back beats and percussion with the new programming features of the sequencers.

Behaviours in Studio One and other programs are typically inherited from earlier revisions and need to be consistent, not only that, choice of behaviour needs to be chosen between one and two evils. As a developer, you want the most commonly used function to have a priority over another. There is with DAWs a typical workaround path to do things, if the thing you think is obvious doesn't work as you expect it to.

For me with Impact XT, I'd really wish there was a 'reset button', so all the solo and mutes I've made on the device would be reset, then I wouldn't have to select each little letter individually. That's more of an annoying aspect for me of the device itself, but it's somewhat negated by the presence of the new sequence programming abilities..It's a legacy device that's been updated a bit, but not to the fullest just yet...

Digivolt wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:16 pm Support were originally very helpful now they're just being obtuse or stubborn or both, sent them a link to this vid explaining exactly step by step what my issue was with transform and how I found what the problem was and how I fixed it

Afaik... this isn´t a bug... this is a 100% user error imho...
Transform to audio is a command to turn an existing instrument track into bounced audio and works per track...

Therefor you have to have an instrument track for every drumsound you want to have transformed...
This includes proper routing... which includes not only to have it routed to the correct instrument but to the correct output in the case of a multi out instrument before you transform anything...

If the track you want to transform is routed to the wrong output you cannot expect to bounce properly and explode pitch is a midi command and not suitable to pick the correct Instrument output for you...

Trancit wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:25 pm If the track you want to transform is routed to the wrong output you cannot expect to bounce properly and explode pitch is a midi command and not suitable to pick the correct Instrument output for you...
It's illogical though, the pads on impact are assigned to separate mixer channels, they're all playing different sounds on the different mixer channels they're assigned to, logic would dictate that if a user wished to transform audio he would want those settings he's already set once within impact.

But for some arbitrary reason the user has to do this assignment all over again in the inspector, it's counter productive to workflow if you have to repeat yourself and IMO really shoddy design that Impact doesn't have the permission to automatically update inspector based on what the user assigns within impact to the mixer channels

Digivolt wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:51 pm It's illogical though, the pads on impact are assigned to separate mixer channels, they're all playing different sounds on the different mixer channels they're assigned to, logic would dictate that if a user wished to transform audio he would want those settings he's already set once within impact.
And what when logic fails respectively logic isn´t logic anymore...
There might be times when you are right... but there might be times when the user wants something complete different...
Yes you have to make your hands dirty... but with that you gain the control what happens when...

Second: Impact XT is a normal plugin... I doubt, that S1 knows about what is routed to what inside of the plugin... Impact can tell S1 about the number of outputs and how midi notes/pads are named inside of the plugin but I highly doubt that a plugin can tell the host which midi note/pad is routed to which output...

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:57 pm

Personally, I've never felt the need to get that deep with Impact XT in assigning separate tracks. I open up the pattern programmer, holding ALT plus double clicking to make an event, and making a pattern and either leaving it at that so everything is on one channel. If I want to bounce down I simply bounce to a new track CTRL+Alt+B and make a few edits, then maybe add some effects. In fact I barely used Impact at all previously before version 4 because I didn't like it's design, but now it's my go to device for making back beats and percussion with the new programming features of the sequencers.

Behaviours in Studio One and other programs are typically inherited from earlier revisions and need to be consistent, not only that, choice of behaviour needs to be chosen between one and two evils. As a developer, you want the most commonly used function to have a priority over another. There is with DAWs a typical workaround path to do things, if the thing you think is obvious doesn't work as you expect it to.

For me with Impact XT, I'd really wish there was a 'reset button', so all the solo and mutes I've made on the device would be reset, then I wouldn't have to select each little letter individually. That's more of an annoying aspect for me of the device itself, but it's somewhat negated by the presence of the new sequence programming abilities..It's a legacy device that's been updated a bit, but not to the fullest just yet...
I'm kind of on the fence on whether this is a bug or user error. For one why are you exploding to pitch at all? The only reason I would do that is if I'n going bounce the audio manually which you can do as well as opposed to transform (explode to pitch select all created tracks and bounce in place). Otherwise you should keep the midi on the first track and then use Transform to Audio and let it create the tracks for you. Yes S1 will also transform pads that don't have anything on them as long as they have a track created on the Console Mixer, it's a quirk of S1.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”