Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is now free!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SONAR SONAR Platinum SONAR X3 Producer

Just saw the news on SOS:

Cakewalk Sonar is now free!! https://www.soundonsound.com/news/sonar ... lk-bandlab

I'm going to download it right away! :hyper: :phones:

Edit: direct url for download: https://cakewalk.bandlab.com/
Last edited by SampleScience on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's available via BandLab Assistant

https://www.bandlab.com/download/assistant/windows

Their site is slow, wonder if its due to everyone clambering to download it
Amazon: why not use an alternative

What's the catch though?

Quite an interesting move! What's their business model?
A well-behaved signature.

chk071 wrote:What's the catch though?
They are likely doing it to stop existing customers abandoning ship, and to gain new users trying it out, then somepoint down the road, they'll likely launch a paid upgrade to get it back to generating revenue - they'll need some at some point if they plan on continuing to develop it, which their messaging suggests that are.

It won't stop the current version working though.

Also, no bundled third-party stuff, due to licensing costs. Other than that, it's a great deal.

Doesnt seem to be any choice of download location or indication of how big the download will be
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Uhmm what is the download size?

PS there's also an Android version:

https://bandlab.en.aptoide.com

PPS it's a different app though.
Last edited by Woodgardens on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wait...What???
Can't say I exactly saw this coming...

There has gotta be some catch coming eventually...Right?
Nothing is really "Free" nowadays.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Spencer Maddox wrote:Wait...What???

We will see in some time what happens with it. I suppose they are going to sell instruments and effects (z3ta, dimension...) in it and create an online project storage within Sonar, using the Bandlab account and everything.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Nothing is really "Free" nowadays.
Well, we all don't work for free either, do we?

The "catch" in this case could be simply to get a lot of new customers, or, as has been pointed, stop people from hopping on to other DAW's. Might be a tad too late for that though. And, the future of Cakewalk as it is also seems a bit unclear.

Woodgardens wrote:Uhmm what is the download size?
The Version without additional content is around 700MB...
Lenovo_L412_i5-520m_@_2.4GHz|8GB_RAM|120GB_SSD|128GB_extMemory|Win_7|Live_9.7.7|volca_sample|Novation_Launchpad_Mk2-Launch Control_XL_Mk2-Audiohub_2x4-Circuit|Kaoss_Pad_Mini_2S|Allen&Heath_ZEDi-10|various_PlugIns|Tab_A6|Mazetools_Soniface

How much it used to cost? I think about EUR 300 or so? I guess many of the license owners feel very happy now :hihi:

Anyway, i think it's the first full-blown uncrippled free DAW in the world. :party: (i gather that it has no difference from the former paid version except that it doesn't have the third-party plugins)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Jorgeelalto wrote:
Spencer Maddox wrote:Wait...What???

We will see in some time what happens with it. I suppose they are going to sell instruments and effects (z3ta, dimension...) in it and create an online project storage within Sonar, using the Bandlab account and everything.
Hmm...
So similar to what FL does?
Not the Same of course since FL Itself costs money but in the terms that You can Buy the extra Plugins individually such as Harmor or Sytris or Maximus.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

@ganym3d

Thanks for the info!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”