Acid Pro 8 Confirmed for 2018 Release

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACID Pro 8

unless it's been improved, media manager was a pita. i never used it anyway.
sony bollocks typically shitty software.

Oh, if anyone is low on root drive disk space, be sure to change the location of Acid’s temp directory under folders in the preferences prior to attempting to install the loop content or it will fill up fast.

It installs the content to C:\users\public documents\MAGIX\common\loop collection (or something to that effect)
...sry I am work atm.

Some other stuff will go under ACID in the C:\program data dir as well.

Cheers

I am tempted, as I cut my remixing teeth on Acid 5/6/7... I just would want to know that it's actually NEW MIDI handling, audio engine, plugin manager, etc. The plugin scanning/MIDI headaches have not been missed since I've been using REAPER.

Also, don't particularly care about "Lookit awl the kewl plugins n' loops n' stuff we bundled!" :wink:
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

I didn’t experience a single error with the plugin scan and 1500-ish Plugins.

my opinion thus far.
the interface is a shambles. terrible icons which don't seem to give the interface a cohesive feel. and there is no way to customize it apart form one or two colours.
in fact some of the gui seems to have bits missing like it is unfinished somehow.
there are some little tweaks here and there i've not seen and the bundled instruments aren't to bad. the DN1 synth is very nice. and there are some basic plugs that you would find in samplitude or sequoia. interestingly they have still bundled the old sony fx ( wave hammer is pretty good actually.. and some Dxi versions - does anyone still use DXi?)
so it seems to me that it has been rushed out a bit, so perhaps we wait a few versions for glitch free. i mean it's l;ovely to see the app return but nostalgia disguise the fact that it isn't such a huge improvement from version 7 ( which i still use)...
anyway, blah.

inkwarp wrote:so it seems to me that it has been rushed out a bit, so perhaps we wait a few versions for glitch free. i mean it's l;ovely to see the app return but nostalgia disguise the fact that it isn't such a huge improvement from version 7 ( which i still use)...
anyway, blah.
I was thinking the same thing. It's nice to see Acid is back. I hated when Sony sold their software to Magix. I was a huge fan of Sound Forge, Vegas, and Acid. I really thought that Magix had dropped the ball on all of those programs. As of right now, I don't really see what Acid brings to the table that's unique from just about ANY other modern day DAW. I mean, really, any DAW can load and manipulate loops. So what's so special about Acid now?

Okay, a few things.

It’s NOT a new interface. It’s a slightly tweaked interface with darker colors.

The soft synth routing is still great.

The MIDI is exactly the same, and it’s still kind of annoying that you can’t edit a MIDI clip by itself.

The Options still have several things which no longer apply.

At this point, the only difference I can honestly tell is that it says it’s 64-bit. It is running pretty fast on my machine.
Tom Smith
http://tomsmith.bandcamp.com - http://www.filkertom.com - http://www.thefump.com
Win10/64 - I5 3570K - 16 GB RAM - BIAB 2016 - Reaper 5 - Sound Forge Pro 9

Porting a large application like ACID from 32 to 64 bit is nothing to sneeze at,
a problem no doubt exacerbated by its age. Making too many design changes
at this stage, doesn't make a lot of sense from a project standpoint.
Changes lead to breakage, which tends to snowball into delay and cost.
Get it working and stable, that is the direction that makes sense. From
there, the direction is forward...

Which other DAW would you guyz recommend that handles loops with immediacy and accuracy as Acid?

surreal wrote:Which other DAW would you guyz recommend that handles loops with immediacy and accuracy as Acid?
I'd say loop handling in Reaper is considerably better. You can choose to sync to tempo or not. You can audition the loops at half or double speed. There's also a pitch change control. Plus you can choose just a section of a loop and load that into the project. Acid it was on its own when it first came out with regard to loop handling but it's no longer special in that respect like it used to be.
Last edited by Kraznet on Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

pekbro wrote:Oh, if anyone is low on root drive disk space, be sure to change the location of Acid’s temp directory under folders in the preferences prior to attempting to install the loop content or it will fill up fast.

It installs the content to C:\users\public documents\MAGIX\common\loop collection (or something to that effect)
...sry I am work atm.

Some other stuff will go under ACID in the C:\program data dir as well.

Cheers
Yes that is the correct location of the loops. C:\Users\Public\Documents\MAGIX\Common\Loop Collections. It took me a while to find them and you need to locate them in the Acid Explorer and save them as a favourite.

surreal wrote:Which other DAW would you guyz recommend that handles loops with immediacy and accuracy as Acid?
Ableton Live. Cubase. Studio One 3.

Which other DAW would you guyz recommend that handles loops with immediacy and accuracy as Acid?
most daws have similar ways to do this now.
it's part of the reason that Acid died. it got superceded.. ( that and Sony's uncanny ability to f**k up everything they touch software-wise)..
with an interface like that ( in version 8) i would be suprised if it gets a toe-hold in a saturated market.
edit. forgot to mention, if only they had developed the midi side; then they would have something with potential.
midi is the weakness in this app.

I pinged Magix/Acid support to ask if it would support MPE natively, and this was the response I received:

"Although we aren't sure if we support he standard MPE, ACID Pro 8 does recognize Polyphonic and Velocity changes in key imputes."

So....not quite a yes? Sort of a maybe?

Thoughts?

Acoustica Mixcraft. It's from the same people who used to worked at Sonic Foundry and developed Acid in its beginnings. With Mixcraft, unlike Reaper, you have both the simplicity of use with the easy handling of VST instruments and MIDI. It's really neat. With the Pro version of Mixcraft you have Melodyne integrated so you can see what are the notes being played in any loops. You can try the demo here:

https://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/

I don't work for them but I really enjoy Mixcraft. Reaper is more like a Swiss army knife; you can do a lot more than just songs with it. But the menus are overwhelming for people who just want to make tracks in a straightforward way. For sound devs like me Reaper is really useful.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”