Acid Pro 8 Confirmed for 2018 Release

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACID Pro 8

Hi all. So I found something interesting while surfing.
https://www.facebook.com/MAGIX/posts/10154636258447579
It appears that, very quietly, Magix is infact working on a new version of the Old Acid Pro Program.
Honestly I never used Acid. It was a bit before my time (I started making music in 2013) but I know it has some major historical significance in the history of Music software. And Many people I have met rave about how unique it was.
What do you all make of this. And specifically What would you want to see them implement in it?
It has a lot of catching up to do that is for sure...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

i was a user from the get-go.
it didn't have midi so i used cakewalk to take care of that side of things.
then sony bought it and it started going donwhill fast. the midi implimentation was poor causing what had been a really stable program to become a crash-fest. it was allowed to fade away. which was sad. but most software since has some form of time-stretching on the fly so; it can't compete with something like Ableton Live which is far more advanced.. so now that magix have bought it i am curious to see what they could do with it. as i say the midi side being reworked may make it a fair prospect. i cannot imagine it would attract much interest in it's current form.

I wish Magix would bring Sound Forge up to date so I could at least use my 64bit plugins inside it. I ditched Acid Pro for Live a long time ago ... no interest in going back to it.

[quote="thecontrolcentre"]I ditched Acid Pro for Live a long time ago ... no interest in going back to it.[/quote

i have a feeling you are not alone...
regarding soundforge, i cannot imagine what they could add to it with a new version..? My own guess is that it will get integrated into Sam/Sequoia...

thecontrolcentre wrote:I wish Magix would bring Sound Forge up to date so I could at least use my 64bit plugins inside it. I ditched Acid Pro for Live a long time ago ... no interest in going back to it.
Magix recently introduced SF_Audio 12 (the cut down SF) with Quote NEW! 64-Bit architecture endQuote
So I think we can reckon on a 64 full SF version soon.
New features in SF_Audio not in SF..
Crossfade editing... Slice Editing..Soft Cut..Video remuxing.. and VST3 compatibility
It will be interesting to see if they add more.

Spencer Maddox wrote: And Many people I have met rave about how unique it was.
At the time in 1998 it was unique in it's ability to time stretch and pitch shift... there was nothing (that I knew of) that could do this the way Acid could... it was so simple and intuitive.
One could bring in loops of different BPM and sync them... cut loops into components and manipulate them with ease.
It also had stretch markers, allowing shifting of sections/beats .. a bit like Lives Warp markers.
It was cool back then!

toonertik wrote:
Spencer Maddox wrote: And Many people I have met rave about how unique it was.
At the time in 1998 it was unique in it's ability to time stretch and pitch shift... there was nothing (that I knew of) that could do this the way Acid could... it was so simple and intuitive.
One could bring in loops of different BPM and sync them... cut loops into components and manipulate them with ease.
It also had stretch markers, allowing shifting of sections/beats .. a bit like Lives Warp markers.
It was cool back then!
So I've heard. It was really ahead of its time. Such a shame that the project became mismanaged and ultimately abandoned...
And I would have to imagine there is not much of a user base left. Although Magix has committed resources and programmers to making a new version I suppose so I guess there is something there at the least to convince them. Mabye they are trying to fit it into their already cluttered Audio Software Lineup as kind of a mid level between MusicMaker and Samplitude Pro X3?
Traktion came back from abandonment and developed a moderate User-base again. Mabye Acid has a chance. I guess we will have to see.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Acid was my main platform when it was released. You could drop samples, repitch, stretch, and slice them, with tempo and key embedded (hence, the now-standard "ACIDized" WAV files). There was no other product that could do the same in one package. Plus the workflow was excellent for sample-based production. Recycle had been around for a while, so I had a ton of sample sources (but Acid couldn't load recycle files). So you could, and I have, ignored MIDI entirely to make a song. It also had ReWire so for a time I brought in Reason to do MIDI-type stuff, then they added MIDI in Acid, so I could score it there and trigger Reason like you would a VSTi.

But the turning point was Sony acquiring Sonic Foundry. MIDI wasn't terribly good, the product deteriorated, other products adopted its features, and here we are 20 years later.

What could Magix do? All the features are standard in DAWs today and then some. So not only do they have to bring it up to current standards, they need to bring back that workflow magic that made it so useable in the first place. Or maybe they can forget the pro audio users and target the more casual market as a lower-cost easy-to-use sample manipulation DAW.

Spencer Maddox wrote:Hi all. So I found something interesting while surfing.
https://www.facebook.com/MAGIX/posts/10154636258447579
It appears that, very quietly, Magix is infact working on a new version of the Old Acid Pro Program.
Honestly I never used Acid. It was a bit before my time (I started making music in 2013) but I know it has some major historical significance in the history of Music software. And Many people I have met rave about how unique it was.
What do you all make of this. And specifically What would you want to see them implement in it?
It has a lot of catching up to do that is for sure...

I'll be getting it
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I remember people was saying Beatmapper useful. Some daws can't still do this.

thecontrolcentre wrote:I wish Magix would bring Sound Forge up to date so I could at least use my 64bit plugins inside it.
I use DDMF's Metaplugin to use 64bit plugins in Soundforge. And it's now on sale (50% discount).

kiezum wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:I wish Magix would bring Sound Forge up to date so I could at least use my 64bit plugins inside it.
I use DDMF's Metaplugin to use 64bit plugins in Soundforge. And it's now on sale (50% discount).
Cheers. I'll have a look ...

inkwarp wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:I ditched Acid Pro for Live a long time ago ... no interest in going back to it.
regarding soundforge, i cannot imagine what they could add to it with a new version..? My own guess is that it will get integrated into Sam/Sequoia...
For start, they have to make it 64-bit. And they could fuse Sound Forge and Spectralayers in a single application, full 64-bit, for example (it makes more sense, IMO, than integrate Sound Forge in Samplitude).

And improve VST support (even Samplitude needs to improve on VST support, IMO). And create a channel strip, like Wavelab has, with the FX inserts, instead of the current convoluted method. And add the FX that are in Samplitude (the Analog Suite, the Vintage Suite, the Reverb, etc.)

IMO, it makes no sense having two audio editors, when spectral editing is becoming more and more integrated in the competitors (like Wavelab, for example).
Fernando (FMR)

I still maintain a copy of Acid just for compatibility with old projects. It was a great tool when it was first introduced. Aside from all the looping and timestretching bells and whistles, it had one really huge competitive advantage. At the time, most DAW-like programs streamed all the audio tracks from disk. That meant that you were pretty limited in the number of simultaneously long audio tracks you could have in your music. Acid was more like a sampler, in that all the loops, even long ones, were loaded into RAM. That meant that as long as you had enough memory, there was no practical limit to the number of concurrent audio streams.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I used the original Acid, then versions 3 , 4 and finally as my main DAW for a couple of years, 7 Pro, which I had to leave once I discovered Kontakt libraries and why 64 bit matters. Fix that, the midi and the crashing, and add comping, I'd swoop back, heck yeah (depending on the price)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”