Samplitude Pro X3 Suite sale $149.00 until Dec 20th

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks @Telecharge

But I meant do they offer sales throughout the year like other developers do. Say for example with Ableton you can usually get a 30% discount at some point, while Native instruments off 50% off, or presonus do 30 or 50% deals every so often.

So Magix offer anything comparable?

I’m guessing sound forge will be updated soon and for me to upgrade it would cost over 300 Australian. It would have to be a stellar upgrade to justify that. But, if it was 150, at some point, I would happily (most likely) do that.

I see. You're concerned if you buy this, Sound Forge Pro 12 will drop the next day. :D

Not sure what to tell you, but I had Sound Forge Studio 10 from a software bundle I purchased, and MAGIX peppered me with offers to upgrade to Studio v12.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sound Forge Pro 12 in 2018.

If anyone's interested I just randomly discovered that the 3rd-party skin editor for Samplitude is currently on sale at EUR10 instead of 25.

http://skins.birdline.gr/index.php?page=home

So the creation of psychedelic neon candy-striped eyebleed themes a la Reaper is now within your grasp.... ;)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: So the creation of psychedelic neon candy-striped eyebleed themes a la Reaper is now within your grasp.... ;)
Thanx for info....
But I was gonna wait for Acid_8 for that kinda thing :wink:

whyterabbyt wrote:If anyone's interested I just randomly discovered that the 3rd-party skin editor for Samplitude is currently on sale at EUR10 instead of 25.

http://skins.birdline.gr/index.php?page=home
I just picked this up, and I must say, if anyone is using the Birdline themes, the editor
is a must, seemingly minor changes lead to great improvement over the default
appearance IMHO. I was able to eliminate 99% of what I previously found disagreeable
about them. The Magix themes are likely still the best overall, however the editor
makes for much better alternatives if you happen to grow tired of the standard ones.

-Cheers

Good to know. Thanks, pekbro.

@telecharge
And now the wait for the new version is nearly over: SOUND FORGE Pro 12 will be released in Spring 2018.

How is Samplitude for virtual instruments? I don't deal with audio a lot but I use NI Komplete with a Komplete Kontrol keyboard. I don't do anything super-advanced. How does it compare to Studio One or Sonar for example?

From what I've seen, it seems more largely targeted at those working with audio.

not sure how it compares to sonar or studio one as ive never used them, but i use kontakt/reactor/absynth a lot within samplitude with no problems. the midi editor might not be the best in the world, but it has all the functions ive needed so far :shrug:

Thanks. For those who do a lot of work with virtual instruments, would you recommend it? I'm a hobbyist. . . not a pro.

Does it have a good browser / plugin management?

I have no idea what Soundforge and Spectralayers do so those would just be bonus items to learn later :)

it really depends what youre used to before, but i do as much with virtual instruments and fx as i do audio.
its not complicated but if youre used to one way of opening an instrument and this offers a different way, it may take a little getting used to. but its honestly very straight forward.
click on first plug in slot on a channel, choose instrument from drop down menu.

its a bargain tbh if the price is similar to the xmas sale, the additional bits are a pretty big bonus too, even if you don't use them yet.

rlared wrote:Thanks. For those who do a lot of work with virtual instruments, would you recommend it? I'm a hobbyist. . . not a pro.

I have no idea what Soundforge and Spectralayers do so those would just be bonus items to learn later :)
Back in October/November time I retired from Samplitude, after a few years almost daily use here was my balanced opinion. I produced, I mixed, I mastered. Mostly ITB,

As always YMMV.
Coxy wrote: Lots of stuff hidden away in the menus, which is cool, especially as most of us are geeks, you find Samplitude can do most of everything very well - it's all there somewhere.

I like the GUI, effective and accessible though I would say it does look dated now. It's utilitarian.

Audio editing options are second to none. As are the included FX. I found most of the analogue FX suite better than waves of comparable type. (delay vs delay eg) The algorithmic reverb too is very very good. Hell even the 'essential' FX are great.

The audio transparency is also second to none. Like really.

The loop and sample browser whilst plain looking again is very advance and offers filter and features beyond most other DAWS, as well as simple drag and drop into tracks and auto tempo matching which is great.

Things I didn't like where the stability vs other daws I've used.

The lagging performance on a fully loaded VST project and general lack of single minded vision or focus in development.

Lots of "we'll bolt this on here and put a right click menu option for it (sound forge) integrate this in here (melodyne) whilst putting a plaster over that bit there" type development. Which further exacerbates the general stability issues - in my experience. Seems the dev teams limited resource is concentrated on but struggles with keeping up with competition.

Would I buy it for the sale price had I not got pissed off with it and migrated away from it? Yes. Lots of daw for the money - probably the vest features vs cost ratio DAW out there at sale price.

Main applications it shines are
Audio tracking
Recording
Mixing
Mastering

Would I recommend it for anyone using VST projects exclusively ? Definitely not. That's it's sticking point, stability with high load VSTs. VST3 is even more problematic on it. Though VST3 has it's own inherent issues that don't help the issue.

Even when I moved to Studio one as my main daw I still used Samplitude as a mixing and mastering tool for my own and others projects. But that part of my life is closed off now.

In my experience customer services are at best inept, at worst don't give a shit. And that's replicated up the support chain. However I acknowledge the long standings like Kraz will offer their own opinion to the contrary.

There you are, probably the most balanced viewpoint you'll get today on that as a former buyer/user for over 2 years.
I now use Logic on Mac. In retrospect now some time has passed I can say this.

I do miss Samplitude, it had good utility and usability to it and it worked how I worked which was logically - which ironically I don't always find with my current DAW Logic Pro X - but I wouldn't (couldn't) go back to Sampltude by choice.

It's plugin management is not great(actually poor imo). However it's loop browser is solid and more customisable than the latest version of Logics, I heavily miss the Samplitude loop browser.

After using Logic since migrating OS and DAWS I still maintain Audio processing and management in Samplitude is second to none. Way beyond Logics in capacity and ease.

However for my use on heavy ITB stuff it's stability was dire, I have had 1 crash on logic since using it in place of Samplitude from December onwards. 1 !! All the same VSTi's and VST's. Same audio interface. Same Midi controllers. Samplitude I'd on average get 1 every two hour on heavy VST projects.

When I used it for mixing audio stems or mastering however the crash rate reduced dramatically to sometimes not at all for a day. It seems the high load VSTi stuff was always a problem for it.

But yes, I do miss what it brought to the table. Samplitude - Gone but not forgotten...
Last edited by Coxy on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

perhaps if you tell us what you feel is missing in your current set up we can give you a better idea if samplitude is the answer?

Nothing is really wrong with my current setup. I just love new toys :D

Coxy wrote:
rlared wrote:Thanks. For those who do a lot of work with virtual instruments, would you recommend it? I'm a hobbyist. . . not a pro.

Back in October/November time I retired from Samplitude, after a few years almost daily use here was my balanced opinion. I produced, I mixed, I mastered. Mostly ITB,

As always YMMV.
Coxy wrote: Lots of stuff hidden away in the menus, which is cool, especially as most of us are geeks, you find Samplitude can do most of everything very well - it's all there somewhere.

I like the GUI, effective and accessible though I would say it does look dated now. It's utilitarian.

Audio editing options are second to none. As are the included FX. I found most of the analogue FX suite better than waves of comparable type. (delay vs delay eg) The algorithmic reverb too is very very good. Hell even the 'essential' FX are great.

The audio transparency is also second to none. Like really.

The loop and sample browser whilst plain looking again is very advance and offers filter and features beyond most other DAWS, as well as simple drag and drop into tracks and auto tempo matching which is great.

Things I didn't like where the stability vs other daws I've used.

The lagging performance on a fully loaded VST project and general lack of single minded vision or focus in development.

Lots of "we'll bolt this on here and put a right click menu option for it (sound forge) integrate this in here (melodyne) whilst putting a plaster over that bit there" type development. Which further exacerbates the general stability issues - in my experience. Seems the dev teams limited resource is concentrated on but struggles with keeping up with competition.

Would I buy it for the sale price had I not got pissed off with it and migrated away from it? Yes. Lots of daw for the money - probably the vest features vs cost ratio DAW out there at sale price.

Main applications it shines are
Audio tracking
Recording
Mixing
Mastering

Would I recommend it for anyone using VST projects exclusively ? Definitely not. That's it's sticking point, stability with high load VSTs. VST3 is even more problematic on it. Though VST3 has it's own inherent issues that don't help the issue.

Even when I moved to Studio one as my main daw I still used Samplitude as a mixing and mastering tool for my own and others projects. But that part of my life is closed off now.

In my experience customer services are at best inept, at worst don't give a shit. And that's replicated up the support chain. However I acknowledge the long standings like Kraz will offer their own opinion to the contrary.

There you are, probably the most balanced viewpoint you'll get today on that as a former buyer/user for over 2 years.
I now use Logic on Mac. In retrospect now some time has passed I can say this.

I do miss Samplitude, it had good utility and usability to it and it worked how I worked which was logically - which ironically I don't always find with my current DAW Logic Pro X - but I wouldn't (couldn't) go back to Sampltude by choice.

It's plugin management is not great(actually poor imo). However it's loop browser is solid and more customisable than the latest version of Logics, I heavily miss the Samplitude loop browser.

After using Logic since migrating OS and DAWS I still maintain Audio processing and management in Samplitude is second to none. Way beyond Logics in capacity and ease.

However for my use on heavy ITB stuff it's stability was dire, I have had 1 crash on logic since using it in place of Samplitude from December onwards. 1 !! All the same VSTi's and VST's. Same audio interface. Same Midi controllers. Samplitude I'd on average get 1 every two hour on heavy VST projects.

When I used it for mixing audio stems or mastering however the crash rate reduced dramatically to sometimes not at all for a day. It seems the high load VSTi stuff was always a problem for it.

But yes, I do miss what it brought to the table. Samplitude - Gone but not forgotten...
Thanks for the awesome review! One thing I don't have much tolerance for is crashing. . . not with so many options out there that don't crash.

I don't edit audio all that much at the moment. I did watch some videos and the MIDI features seem to be pretty good overall.

Tough decision!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”