AKAI VIP 3.0 released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VIP (Virtual Instrument Player)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:34 am
zzz00m wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:27 am VIP 3 is a nice, affordable, tool to have. If you can afford this, plus the NI NKS system, then you can have it all!

But if you are on a budget, VIP is a good start to wrangle a bunch of plugins under one application. I think that the patch browser in the desktop application is fantastic, and will let you search for patches and tags across all of your VIP compatible plugins. That really beats loading one plugin at a time and searching for a sound. I have over 20,000+ patches indexed in my VIP app. Easy to pull up all leads, or basses, or pads, across all instrument plugins with just one click!
On paper yes. It's also great if it already works with plugins you have. But new plugin maps are not coming, and the old ones are not supported. I asked support to help with 3-year old Chromaphone 2 map found on their own forum, but they didn't solve my issue.

I seriously consider picking NKS, as it actually supported platform with some future.
I like vip very much. People are complaining so much, saying the grass is greener on the other side. But its not.
I own the advance 61 and bought Komplete 12 ultimative ce.
I spend the last 3 month sorting 30k of my patches inside vip. And its a lot more versatile compared to kontrol. Auto import is really good for most plugins. I imported 10 synths or so.
No such thing with kontrol software.

What is better compared to kontrol
Rating
Tagging speed
Tagging structure
Exclude & include tags for patch searches.
Ability to chance factory tags! Because some are bonkers in both apps.
THIRD PARTY PATCH libraries. ( Ni made that more or less impossble )
Third party patches aren’t separated.
Mpe support for synths
Key split
Multi
Resize

Worse
Loading times of Ni plugins
Ni plugin premapping
No preview. Especially for drums.
Daw integration

VIP ain't perfect, but I would rather have it than not, imperfections and all.

The time that I save searching my 20,000+ patches that DO work with VIP is priceless. Plus it allows me to quickly audition and create multis by combining sounds from different synths that I would never happen upon otherwise. This alone adds a huge creative factor to the tool.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

NI once had Schmidts killer app of sound design, Control and DB named Kore(2) and instead of improving on its flaws, integrating it in their ever growing Maschine universe dialed back and closed their software down to their NI ecosystem. Maybe a clever business decision but not so much for their target. Unfortunately after years no one came even close to it with an all in one studio core solution.

TabSel wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:08 pm NI once had Schmidts killer app of sound design, Control and DB named Kore(2) and instead of improving on its flaws, integrating it in their ever growing Maschine universe dialed back and closed their software down to their NI ecosystem. Maybe a clever business decision but not so much for their target. Unfortunately after years no one came even close to it with an all in one studio core solution.
Dude, I am so pissed about that move from NI.
Kore 2 was literally perfect. Then they decided to dump it for God knows what reason. The thing is, that it still works, but crashes on scan with certain plugins, so I can't commit to it for this reason. It's only gonna get worse as time goes on, so there's that hope right down the drain. Effing blows.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Any news on development? My only requests would be different skins,(beautiful light theme maybe) and the ability to internally route MIDI from plugins (Cthulhu, Nora, etc..) other than that, VIP has been very good to me.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Haven't heard much lately. I don't get the impression it's abandonware, even though they don't seem to be selling the Alesis and M-Audio VIP hardware anymore (of course, the Akai Advance is still around). I'd like to see a little desktop control box, like Kore 2 had.

Different themes would be cool. I wonder if the colors are hackable in the config files. I did figure out how to drop images into the file structure so they show up in the browser (for plugins that otherwise show a generic plugin icon) ;)

For live use, I'd like to be able to switch a channel's "source" between a VST or an audio input (again, like Kore 2 had). That would introduces a LOT more features to support, and I don't know how that would work when VIP is a subhost, but damn that would make this even cooler as a standalone host. I know it's not trying to be Mainstage or Gig Performer, but one of VIP's advantages--because it's handling a limited set of use cases--is that it's SO much easier to get up and running than either of those tools.

And looking ahead, VST3 support would be nice, especially for Mac users who don't get VST2 versions of certain plugins (e.g. Steinberg's). That, too, is no easy task.

hopkihc wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:12 pm
And looking ahead, VST3 support would be nice, especially for Mac users who don't get VST2 versions of certain plugins (e.g. Steinberg's). That, too, is no easy task.
VST3 support is finally going to appear in the next point release for Ableton Live 10.1, which is in beta now.

I think Steinberg is cutting off VST2 developer support, so that may motivate some stragglers to get with the VST3 standard, which is all that Steinberg will officially support now.

Steinberg VST 2 SDK Support Ends In October 2018
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/ ... ober-2018/

hopkihc wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:12 pmI don't get the impression it's abandonware, even though they don't seem to be selling the Alesis and M-Audio VIP hardware anymore (of course, the Akai Advance is still around).
I actually think it is. Not the fault of Akai Pro, just the fact that nobody gives a crap about software like this. Same goes for sample librarians.

Orbit-50 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:38 pm
hopkihc wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:12 pmI don't get the impression it's abandonware, even though they don't seem to be selling the Alesis and M-Audio VIP hardware anymore (of course, the Akai Advance is still around).
I actually think it is. Not the fault of Akai Pro, just the fact that nobody gives a crap about software like this. Same goes for sample librarians.
Funny, I could care less about the library aspect of it, but I do like that it assigns 8+ knobs to my controller uniformly for all the plug ins. I don't mind mousing to write a patch, but it's nice to have the basics assigned beforehand in other DAWs besides Live.
I should use it more for that reason alone.

The new Komplete Kontrol allows this with 8 knobs as well, doesn't it?

I find that the librarian function in VIP is indispensable. Have 20,000+ presets at my fingertips now, searchable by tags. :D

What good are knobs, if I can't find the sound I want?

That, and the fact that multi-VST, multitumbral patches can be created and exist independent of your DAW.

The minute Komplete Kontrol allows for more than one VST at a time, I’ll take a more serious look at it.

I also don’t like the KK UI nearly as much. To each his own on that front.

KK is free now with Komplete Start > https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ete-start/

KK Constant updates, solid. no resizable UI, no layering.
VIP Slow development, takes way to much disk space.

Like a real decent beat slicer and decent hardware plugin controllers something decent is a long time coming :-(

machinesworking wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:58 am
Orbit-50 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:38 pm
Funny, I could care less about the library aspect of it, but I do like that it assigns 8+ knobs to my controller uniformly for all the plug ins. I don't mind mousing to write a patch, but it's nice to have the basics assigned beforehand in other DAWs besides Live.
I should use it more for that reason alone.
Goes to show you that there's always two sides to the coin. I could care less about the controller assignments because there's no one software that can get it right for me, (I've been after this for years, and recently gave up on that dream) and also the fact that I'm controlling different things all the time so I end up doing it on the fly in whatever DAW I'm using at the moment anyway. My biggest thing is the librarian, because it's so great being able to conglomerate all of your patches, whether they be 3rd party, or user presets, under one roof. So far, nothing does it as good as VIP at the moment.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”