AKAI VIP 3.0 released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VIP (Virtual Instrument Player)

I've just discovered a complimentary license for this in my AKAI account, seems interesting. The interface doesn't feel quite as sleek as Komplete Kontrol so i doubt it will replace that for NI products but maybe for everything else - i'm particularly interested in the whole chord progression functionality this has.

I've tried loading a bunch of instruments and noticed a few that don't have maps - most notably Spire, Fathom and Rapture Pro. Are there any maps for these i can import into it? I'm also having a problem loading Z3TA+ 2 presets, it comes up with an error message of some sort, has anyone else encountered this?

mutantdog wrote:
I've tried loading a bunch of instruments and noticed a few that don't have maps - most notably Spire, Fathom and Rapture Pro. Are there any maps for these i can import into it? I'm also having a problem loading Z3TA+ 2 presets, it comes up with an error message of some sort, has anyone else encountered this?
You can create and save your own user plugin maps, if you can manually import each preset from the plugin. http://www.akaipro.com/support/kb/artic ... plugin-map
http://community.akaipro.com/akai_profe ... yours-here

VIP works for many, but not all plugins. Not really the fault of the VIP developers if a plugin isn't programmed to send patch info to the host correctly. VIP can accommodate a wide diversity of plugins, but is not 100% universal. I have a couple plugins that won't send a single patch to VIP, while others will send the patch, but not the patch name (imports a duplicate "default"), meaning I have to rename that patch after I import it from that plugin.

And Z3TA+2 is a known issue. There is not currently a factory map for that, and there is for the original z3ta+ classic. But since Cakewalk used the same ID for both, VIP gets confused with the patch maps for them. Scroll down to Akai employee Cory's post here: http://community.akaipro.com/akai_profe ... plugin-map

But overall I'd say that VIP is more useful than not having it. I'm enjoying having 10s of thousands of patches at my fingertips that I would have had to search each plugin for individually. If you are OCD, it might irritate you, but if you can settle for 90% good, then go for it! :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:VIP works for many, but not all plugins. Not really the fault of the VIP developers if a plugin isn't programmed to send patch info to the host correctly.
Thank you, finally someone gets it !

Big Tick wrote:
zzz00m wrote:VIP works for many, but not all plugins. Not really the fault of the VIP developers if a plugin isn't programmed to send patch info to the host correctly.
Thank you, finally someone gets it !
Ha! Yep. It's quite a different approach than what NI took with NKS (Native Kontrol Standard) and the Komplete Kontrol system. NI tossed the ball directly to the plugin developers who wanted to participate.
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... plete/nks/

Akai was probably crazy to attempt what they did, so it is amazing that it works as well as it does! :D

zzz00m wrote: Ha! Yep. It's quite a different approach than what NI took with NKS (Native Kontrol Standard) and the Komplete Kontrol system. NI tossed the ball directly to the plugin developers who wanted to participate.

Akai was probably crazy to attempt what they did, so it is amazing that it works as well as it does! :D
Thanks. I'm the crazy one I'm afraid. But I never understood why developers who couldn't be arsed to implement things like getProgramName(), that have been in the VST standard since 1999, would all of a sudden flock to support NKS.

Big Tick wrote:
zzz00m wrote: Ha! Yep. It's quite a different approach than what NI took with NKS (Native Kontrol Standard) and the Komplete Kontrol system. NI tossed the ball directly to the plugin developers who wanted to participate.

Thanks. I'm the crazy one I'm afraid.
Well there is the good kind of crazy... and the bad kind.

We don't mind the good kind... keeps the world moving forward... like the Wright Brothers, Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, Mozart, Bob Moog, Donald Buchla, Linus Torvalds, Tim Berners-Lee, Guido van Rossum, and many others did ... :D

Hey Big Tick, I just want to say that I think VIP is a great utility for soft synth users!

zzz00m wrote:You can set a VIP multi to autoload when VIP starts up by right-clicking on the multi name in the list, and select "Set as autoload". Using one multi will limit you to the eight instrument slots in one multi. These slots are easily selected when using the VIP enabled keyboard.
Yes but I didn't find a way to turn any plugins loaded with a multi on/off. I assume that if I would like to load pianoteq, diva, kord odyssey etc plus some reverbs in one multi that would be no playable. Is there a way to surf through different multis (or slots in a set) with MIDI commands?
zzz00m wrote:Not sure I would risk a headless Windows PC for a live performance. Windows sometimes pops up with something you must click away, and that could be a nuisance. So are blue screens of death. That does happen sometimes... As well would a VIP crash.
I have done this couple years ago with XP and it went brilliant! The thing is to commit the whole OS to the one and only tast and turn off anything that's not necessary.

chris.r wrote:
Yes but I didn't find a way to turn any plugins loaded with a multi on/off. I assume that if I would like to load pianoteq, diva, kord odyssey etc plus some reverbs in one multi that would be no playable. Is there a way to surf through different multis (or slots in a set) with MIDI commands?
If you are not using a VIP enabled keyboard with the dedicated LCD screen, knobs, and buttons, you will most likely need to use a PC mouse/keyboard to control the VIP software UI. I am not aware of these functions being mapped to MIDI CC.

You can put these multis in a setlist, then step through the setlist using midi program changes.

Big Tick wrote:You can put these multis in a setlist, then step through the setlist using midi program changes.
That would be brilliant! Can I make VIP3 autoload with my own set list? So far I know I can only make autoload just a multi.

Btw what's "VIP enabled keyboard"?

chris.r wrote:
Big Tick wrote:You can put these multis in a setlist, then step through the setlist using midi program changes.
That would be brilliant! Can I make VIP3 autoload with my own set list? So far I know I can only make autoload just a multi.
That is a good question. I have no idea how to initially load a setlist without first clicking in the UI in VIP, or selecting the setlist menu from the VIP display in my keyboard.

You can't autoload a setlist, but this is definitely worthy of a feature request to Akai.

Thanks Big Tick, I'll definitely take the chance on it, I saw that feature request in the menu :)

In the meantime I had an idea why Akai didn't come up with a Vip enabled audio interface yet? That would be your ultimate vip control station to play our beloved vst plugins from a slick box and just one usb cable, all the other keyboards you could simply connect to it's MIDI inputs or integrated usb hub... never stop dreaming

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”