Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VIP (Virtual Instrument Player)

Hi all,

Akai has released version 3.0 of their VIP Software:

http://www.akaipro.com/products/new-products/vip
http://www.akaipro.com/pages/vip3.0-release-notes

If you're owning one of the following keyboards, you can get VIP 3.0 free of charge from your AKAI/M-Audio User Account:

Akai Advance
Akai MPK2 Series
Akai MPK88
Akai MPKmini
Akai APCkey25

M-Audio CTRL49
M-Audio Code Series
M-Audio Oxygen Series
M-Audio Axiom air mini 32

I was looking for MPK mini. This might make me pull the trigger!

Make sure you get (have already got) an iLok:)

More seriously, if I had bought some hardware with its supporting software and the manufacturer released some updates with such a change in protection I would be a tad annoyed.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

A trial version would be nice. Looks like it's cheaper for me to buy an M-Audio Axiom air mini 32 than buy the software alone.

DarkStar wrote:Make sure you get (have already got) an iLok:)

More seriously, if I had bought some hardware with its supporting software and the manufacturer released some updates with such a change in protection I would be a tad annoyed.
- you only need the License Manager, no need for a hardware iLok
- all the instruments and effects, that have been included with Akai/M-Audio Hardware for some time now, already required iLok. So chances are most of the userbase is already using iLok anyway
- it also makes sense for inmusic to have a unified licensing scheme for all their individual software companies

On a personal note: as an owner of an M-Audio Code 25 I was happy to see that I was eligible for a free license, increasing the value of my purchase, whereas the old VIP 2.0 wasn't even available for my keyboard :tu: I've been also using the whole range of AIR instruments for quite some time now and never had a single issue with iLok. And as I now have a pretty diverse collection of plugins, authorising most of my stuff with one click via iLok is a breeze and I prefer this method compared to installing a separate software licensing software from each and every manufacturer.
jasco wrote:A trial version would be nice. Looks like it's cheaper for me to buy an M-Audio Axiom air mini 32 than buy the software alone.
You can get a 7 Day trial at pluginboutique.com :tu:

krabbencutter wrote:
You can get a 7 Day trial at pluginboutique.com :tu:
Good spot - cheers!

ILok?

Gross. I'll pass and go with Komplete Kontrol and hold the iLok nonsense.

krabbencutter wrote:Akai MPKmini
Looks like I am included then :)

Doc Brown wrote:ILok?

If you don't use any form of iLok (soft or hard) you will be missing out on some of the best software available...(I don't mean VIP3, but soundtoys, eventide, UVI etc)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Please, let's not turn this thread into another iLOK battle :pray:

Doc Brown wrote:ILok?

Have a look at this:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=490833
:party:
Numanoid wrote:Please, let's not turn this thread into another iLOK battle :pray:
:tu:

No battle for me. I just don't care. I just find it absurd that essentially a midi keyboard is locked down by software / hardware. It seems like an ultra foolish business plan but to each his own. Again, doesn't really matter as I will be going with the Komplete Kontrol mkii and not be tethered to any software or dongle just to play my keyboard. :tu:

Doc Brown wrote:No battle for me. I just don't care. I just find it absurd that essentially a midi keyboard is locked down by software / hardware. It seems like an ultra foolish business plan but to each his own. Again, doesn't really matter as I will be going with the Komplete Kontrol mkii and not be tethered to any software or dongle just to play my keyboard. :tu:
I think the point is AKAI VIP is not tethered to hardware or a dongle (ilok is also a software authorisation to the PC, same as NI's own method).
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

The ilok method on this is silent unless you want to benefit from a free account to move your licences no special hardware is required.
Software Brand Manager

inMusic Brands
AIR | Akai Professional | Alesis | ▲lto Professional | Denon DJ | Denon Professional | ION Audio | M-Audio | Marantz Professional | MixMeister | Numark | SONiVOX
Email. sbangs@inmusicbrands.com

So when I purchased my M-Audio Oxygen a while back it did not come with VIP.

I logged into my M-Audio account last night and saw that VIP 3 was listed as a download under my products !
Very cool of M-Audio/AKAI/inMusic ! :clap:

I mean they could have offered it for sale with a discount (which was honestly what I expected), but to include it totally free on previous purchases was very cool indeed !

Thank you M-Audio/AKAI ! :tu:

- Jay

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”