VSTHost Only Getting Audio Out Of One Speaker When Recording

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When using VSTHost I cannot seem to my audio setup properly.
When I record vocals or try to playback these recorded vocals with its internal recorder and audio player the sound only comes out of the left speaker. If I use something like a virtual instrument, I DO get audio from BOTH speakers.

From my understanding I believe this is happening because VSTHost is thinking that my two channel audio interface is using both its channels. So even though I have only one mic plugged in, it is recording the mic as a "left" channel and recording silence in the "right" channel because it thinks I want to be using two channels.

Not saying this is VSTHosts fault, it is probably a setting that needs to be set for my audio interface, but I cannot seem to find anything that would allow me to change this. I have looked through "Devices" pulldown in the menu bar and I have looked at "Wave" "Asio Control Panel" and "Asio Channel Selection" options but don't see anything to change. I believe I also messed around with the "Wave Recorder Configuration" and changed the "Channels" to 1 instead of 2.

Does anyone have any ideas of what needs to be changed in order to be able to record with a single microphone and get audio out of both speakers?
Thank You

Is there no mono recording option?

@thecontrolcentre
Not sure, don't think I have come across it.

I think I looked in the pdf manual a while back but don't remember finding anything.
Hard to search online, because with a vague name like VSTHost, a lot of other info comes up as well.
Seems odd, I don't remember having this issue in the past, but I can't seem to figure this out.
Has anyone else ever experienced this issue?

Not sure why but all of a sudden I have audio coming out of both speakers now, didn't change anything just all of a sudden working.
"Wave Recorder Configuration" and changed the "Channels" to 1 instead of 2.
Just in case anyone ever comes across this in the future, I mentioned I tried this above which I don't believe has anything to do with this issue, in fact if you do this I think it makes the build in wave player will only playback out of one speaker.

Thank You

Ahh spoke too soon, still doesn't work.
I didn't realize I had a "mono" effect in my chain which made the sound come out of both left and right channels, but when that plugin is removed my audio goes back to only coming out of the left speaker.

No one else experiences anything like this, or has in the past and found a solution?
Odd I still can't find anything that allows me to just select my input 1 and ignore input 2.
All my audio interface ASIO settings windows are extremely basic, with not much to change.

I think you should be able to achieve what you want like this:

- Under Devices/Wave, select your input device

- Under Engine/Configure/Assign Input Channels, select your input device and set Engine Channels to 1

(Its -1 by default, which means 'Auto'.)

This should give you the left input channel on both output channels.

If for some reason that doesnt do the trick, try selecting the left output of your interface on both input channels with Engine Channels set to -1

@ENV1
I just figured this out last night and then I see you mentioned the same thing.
My issue was not fixed with this
Under Devices/Wave, select your input device
when selecting any ASIO type of driver it grays out the "Input" pull down

Same as what you said, I will just expand upon it for future members experiencing the same problem.
I was randomly searching through the Menu Bar items and found an option that looked promising.

Located in the "Engine" drop down in the Menu Bar,
Select "Configure"
Select "Assign Input Channels" tab
Set Engine Input 1 and 2 (or as many channels as your audio interface provides) to "1: Mic In A"
Which sends the audio signal from your Input 1 to both speakers.

Was focusing so much on the "Devices" drop down because it seemed like this was the place it would be, I kept overlooking this option.

Sound coming out of both my speakers, aaahhhhhh much better.
Thank You

Glad to hear its working.

And if you ever need to route stuff around between plugins, you can do that too:

- Click the little chain icon on the container of the receiving plugin

- The 'Chain after' window will open (also doubles as a crude mixer)

- In the Chain after window, click the little speaker icon above the dB readout

- The 'Assign Plugin Input Channels' window will open

There you can route the available outputs of the connected sending plugin(s) to any input available on the receiving plugin. This is especially useful for cases where you have multi-timbral plugins with many outputs such as drum machines and you want to send these outputs to different receiving plugins in order to set up a dedicated processing-chain for the Kick, Snare, Hats, etcetera.

@ENV1
Since you have been posting I have been wondering why your name has been so familiar and I couldn't think of why, and then it hit me you have helped me out with VSTHost stuff in the past, thank you for your continued help.
You and I had discussed our feelings about how VSTHost with a couple of key components could be a DAW someday, and then after that discussion a new release of VSTHost came out with a mixer.
Sadly I still don't use the mixer yet, this program would need other DAW like elements for me to make use of it, but still cool that the program is being updated. A friend of mine and I have a ton of ideas for this program, but hesitate to mention them just because it may not be the direction the creator of it is wanting to go. Either way though a great program, also Savihost has been a lifesaver just for quickly testing to see if plugins work.

Thank you for your recent post I did not know about this, I always thought those speaker icons were just mutes and I ignored them. I get what you are saying about them, but I will have to mess around with these routing options a bit more to fully understand what can be done with them.

You know all these cool tricks / settings that I seem to overlook.
Proud to say that my connection node boxes are bigger, because of you :)
Looked around to see what else could be changed, not greatly needed, but do you know of a way to change the line weight of the connection lines (make them thicker)?

Anyways thank you again for all your help.

Ah, its you! Now i remember our conversation too. :)

As to the connection lines; if their thickness can be changed then i was unable to find out how. As far as i can see there is nothing in the skin-script that provides any control over them, nor could i find any such thing in VSTHost.ini or anywhere else. So assuming that i didnt miss anything it would seem to me that these lines are not part of the user configurable items and hardcoded to be 1px thick.

And as to the Mixer that was added shortly after our last conversation; at first i was very excited about the fact that Hermann added this 'native' solution because its definitely way better than creating your own 'console' via a bunch of FreeG instances. But unfortunately the thrill didnt last very long. Once i went beyond playing around and started to use it more seriously it became clear very quickly that it needs quite a few things fixed before it is really ready for prime time. I wont go into all the details now because it would require rather long explanations as to how the problems manifest under what circumstances, but one example would be the fact that once the mixer has expanded to its maximum amount of slots, and you remove a plugin which had a lot of outputs, and there are other plugins attached to the slots that came after the ones that were occupied by the plugin that was removed, that same many-outputs-plugin cannot be re-attached to the mixer because the mixer will, for whatever reason, not re-assign the now-vacant slots to that plugin even though these slots are technically vacant. (Like i said, difficult to explain in just a few words.)

Anyway, suffice it to say that i ultimately went back to FreeG. I will however definitely go back to the mixer if/when its getting fixed because in and of itself it is a much better solution.

@ENV1
Ah, its you!
This is what most people say when they see me, but it is more like....
Ahhhhhhhhhh! It's You! :)

Thank You for your response, yeah I didn't think there was a way to change the connector line thickness, I searched around for it when you mentioned how to change the connector node box size but didn't find anything either.

I have not experienced that problem with the mixer, as I mentioned I don't really have a need for the mixer in this program yet, but good to know if I ever try it more in the future, hopefully this will be fixed. You remind me of a friend of mine, the way you analyze programs, he is very good at it as well, always finding things to improve upon / bugs. He had quite a few ideas about the mixer also, as well as other aspects of the program. Last I heard from him, he mentioned that he found that there is a forum for this program, which I did not know about.
Not sure if he ever did but he was thinking of mentioning some ideas there, have you ever checked out that forum?

@ENV1 or Anyone
Kind of a weird question, but is there a way to get both inputs to come out of both speakers, at the same time?
Input 1 = Microphone = Left and Right speaker
Input 2 = Guitar = Left and Right speaker

Thank You

The easiest way is probably to make the signal Mono. Im pretty sure ive seen plugins that were just a Stereo/Mono switch, so one of those right after the input module ought to do the trick.

As to the older question (sorry, must have overlooked it), i didnt know theres a forum. Im aware of Hermanns website though.

@ENV1
Thank You for your response, yeah I wasn't sure if there was some kind of internal method of doing this, could be a nice addition to add an extra option in the "Engine Input" drop down menu = "1: Mic A & B"

When trying to figure out how to get my audio to come out of both speakers, I mentioned that I thought I had figured it out and it just turned out that certain plugins were making my signal mono which made my problem appear to be fixed. I didn't want to have to use these certain plugins all the time to achieve this, but that is a great point you made that there are plugins that are specifically designed for this very purpose, I probably have about forty of them and never even thought about using them in this situation. :)
Thank You for mentioning this, I will give this a try.

Also, no problem on overlooking my last post, but yeah there is forum but it isn't all that easy to find so I am sure most don't know about it.

Thanks Again

@ENV1
Just a heads up, a new version of VSTHost is now available 1.56
(I have not tried it yet and I don't know what updates have been made)

What is going on, every time you and I unite a new version of VSTHost comes out.
If we keep our conversation going long enough we will have our desired VSTHost DAW in no time :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”