Korg Gadget for Mac now available

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gadget

okay i have play the 7 vids available ..it seems gadget is not for me , i was not amaze by what i've heard...
Zebra ² is the same price and could do more.

Personally, this is a worthwhile purchase for me. It will help me port my Gadget songs from iOS to Logic on my Mac. I'd rather use the actual synths with MIDI than export raw wave tracks that cannot be modified. Just the other day I realized I no longer wanted one track to have reverb on it and that means I have to re-export it from Gadget and then from my iPad Pro to my Mac. Bit slow to do.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Personally, this is a worthwhile purchase for me. It will help me port my Gadget songs from iOS to Logic on my Mac. I'd rather use the actual synths with MIDI than export raw wave tracks that cannot be modified. Just the other day I realized I no longer wanted one track to have reverb on it and that means I have to re-export it from Gadget and then from my iPad Pro to my Mac. Bit slow to do.
sure it will be faster , but the main feeling i have is that the gadget are not so tweakable , i mean I look the video on youtube and it seems the control are really simple.I don't the synth it emulate because i'm not 'old' in music production , only 12 year with daw and 20 year with guitar , but i expected more emulation.Even if it seems simplified the green synth (i don't remember the name) seems pretty interesting , maybe they will release each gadget as individual vst in the futur?...

ok people i must admit , i was wrong.

When i had ask for advice , it was because I do have a choice to do beetwen Korg Gadget and a soundbank.

I purchased the soundbank , installed it , tweak it during some hour , but nothing feet to my need.I see on the website of the sounbank seller : if you don't like it , you have 14 days to ask for refund.I ask for refund , i was refunded.

And I finally purchased gadget yesterday,i play with it today and i am surprised , not by the DAW (i don't care of the daw , i want only VST!)

Everything single Gadget have a little something but the one i really enjoys is Dublin

and special mention to Brussels , Tokyo & Chicago (AMAZING BASS MACHINE!!)

The only thing i did not try yet are the FX.
Last edited by hivkorn on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hivkorn wrote:ok people i must admit , i was wrong.
And I finally purchased gadget yesterday,i play with it today and i am surprised , not by the DAW (i don't care of the daw , i want only VST!)
:-)

It's a good way to be wrong (enjoying a product you didn't think would be enjoyable).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

yep ! I love this kind of surprise ;)

every gadget is a "do 1 thing , but do it very good"

I can imagine recording a whole EP with only the VST include in gadget. :tu:

Don't waste your time , take it while it's on intro price !

Glad you got into it :) It's strength is what appears to be it's downside as you said they are focused instruments, I think it makes designing on the fly very easy. Don't discount the DAW either though, for exactly the same reasons it's very quick to work in and a lot of fun, plus it also supports Ableton Link.

Try Automating the effect types in Rosario and Zurich, it's amazing, plus in Gadget DAW if you freeze a plugin the WAV is instantly available in the import/Freeze folder for loading. Rosario is a gem, probably my favorite at the moment.

yep i was fooled by the ' not enough control ' aspect of the gadget , but in the end , it is where it is very good , I hate synth where you have to tweak a lot of thing to make a simple BIP , ( softube modular not included :D ) , Korg was very smart to give to possibility to bypass the FX on each gadget , each of them have a really good sound and used with a daw like bitwig who include a lot of modulator it is pure madness!

fmr wrote: There aren't a lot that cost nearly $199. The majority is priced between $69 and $99 and the most evolved are usually priced between $129 and $149. Very few go above that, and the ones that go have to offer something "really" special (and usually offer special launching prices that allow us to buy them
This is all a bunch of bollocks, really. Most popular softsynths cost around 170 - 200 dollars. Sylenth 1 and Spire, for example, land right in that range. Popular NI synths also cost upwards of 200. Same for Xils. Same for Gforce. I could go on...Saying the majority cost 69 to 99 with "very few" above 149 is just wildly ignorant, no idea how you've come to these figures.

for 199, getting thirty gadgets seems like a completely fair price.

as for whether they are toys or "streamlined function" or whatever terms people are using in here, that's all wildly subjective and I'm sure opinions will vary greatly. But re: price points of popular soft synths on the market, that's not subjective at all.

The proof os in the eating, very few people are talking about Gadget for Mac for a reason, price is one of the factors in that, but not the only factor.
Duh

mholloway wrote:
fmr wrote: There aren't a lot that cost nearly $199. The majority is priced between $69 and $99 and the most evolved are usually priced between $129 and $149. Very few go above that, and the ones that go have to offer something "really" special (and usually offer special launching prices that allow us to buy them
This is all a bunch of bollocks, really. Most popular softsynths cost around 170 - 200 dollars. Sylenth 1 and Spire, for example, land right in that range. Popular NI synths also cost upwards of 200. Same for Xils. Same for Gforce. I could go on...Saying the majority cost 69 to 99 with "very few" above 149 is just wildly ignorant, no idea how you've come to these figures.

as for whether they are toys or "streamlined function" or whatever terms people are using in here, that's all wildly subjective and I'm sure opinions will vary greatly. But re: price points of popular soft synths on the market, that's not subjective at all.
I have all the synths you mentioned and I didn't spend more than $99 on ANY of them. If I bought them on sales, on pre-launch or whatever I don't remember, but I remember very well I didn't, because that's a mark I established for myself. For example, Spire cost me $69 - go figure.

OTOH Gadget costs $199 ON A LAUNCH SALE, because the regular price is established to be $299. I can't believe you are comparing Spire to ANY synth that comes with Gadget :hihi:

Regarding the "most popular" NI synths, I bought Komplete ages ago, so, it's just a matter of keeping ip updated. And if I buy the update on sales, it costs me $99. Now, compare the value of Komplete with the value of Gadget, and you will get a close idea of how outrageously expensive this last one is :roll:

Reaktor alone has more things in it than thw whole Gadget stuff. Anything you have in Gadget, you can find in the Reaktor library or the User library (and a lot more). THAT is what I call good value.

Gadget doesn't worth more than $99 - regular, IMO. Selling it by $199 as a launch offer, and planning it to be sold by $299 afterwards is just to laugh aboout. Korg simply splitted what could have been packaged in a single unity by like five units, and a package that could have contained like five or six instruments (tops) end up with 30 crippled ones. But anyway, I wasted too much time with this already. If you are happy to pat $199 for crippled versions of synths, when you have freeware that does (way) more and costs nothing, it's up to you. :shrug: I'm out
Last edited by fmr on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
mholloway wrote:

I have all the synths you mentioned and I didn't spend more than $99 on ANY of them. If I bought them on sales, on pre-launch or whatever I don't remember, but I remember very well I didn't, because that's a mark I established for myself. For example, Spire cost me $69 - go figure.

OTOH Gadget costs $199 ON A LAUNCH SALE, because the regular price is established to be $399. I can't believe you are comparing Spire to ANY synth that comes with Gadget :hihi:

Regarding the "most popular" NI synths, I bought Komplete ages ago, so, it's just a matter of keeping ip updated. And if I buy the update on sales, it costs me $99. Now, compare the value of Komplete with the value of Gadget, and you will get a close idea of how outrageously expensive this last one is :roll:

Reaktor alone has more things in it than thw whole Gadget stuff. Anything you have in Gadget, you can find in the Reaktor library or the User library (and a lot more). THAT is what I call good value.

Gadget doesn't worth more than $99 - regular, IMO. Selling it by $199 as a launch offer, and planning it to be sold by $399 afterwards is just to laugh aboout. Korg simply splitted what could have been packaged in a single unity by like five units, and a package that could have contained like five or six instruments (tops) end up with 30 crippled ones. But anyway, I wasted too much time with this already. If you are happy to pat $199 for crippled versions of synths, when you have freeware that does (way) more and costs nothing, it's up to you. :shrug: I'm out
Of course you have your meaning but spreading wrong info doesn't help.
Again i wonder where you get the $399. I can see $299! So could you link me to where you get that from!

Cinebient wrote:Of course you have your meaning but spreading wrong info doesn't help.
Again i wonder where you get the $399. I can see $299! So could you link me to where you get that from!
Sorry, my bad. It's $299 indeed. I edited the original post. Thanks for correcting. It's doesn't change my line of thinking, though :wink:

And I'm not alone. Here's a quote from a site I read: "For comparison, Apple’s own high-end audio studio Logic Pro X costs $199.99, while Ableton Live’s standard version costs $449. Korg Gadget is arguably one of the best studios for touchscreens, but it remains to be seen how that translates to desktop."

I wil not even mention the number and quality of the instruments builT-in in Logic Pro X.

http://www.factmag.com/2017/02/08/korg- ... ease-date/
Last edited by fmr on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Cinebient wrote:Of course you have your meaning but spreading wrong info doesn't help.
Sorry, my bad. It's $299 indeed. Thanks for correcting. It's doesn't change my line of thinking, though :wink:

here's a quote from a site I read: "For comparison, Apple’s own high-end audio studio Logic Pro X costs $199.99, while Ableton Live’s standard version costs $449. Korg Gadget is arguably one of the best studios for touchscreens, but it remains to be seen how that translates to desktop."

http://www.factmag.com/2017/02/08/korg- ... ease-date/
No problem :wink:
I really can understand both sides and beeing somewhere between this.
I think i wait until a next sale and use my iOS version until then. Already bought too much this year :o
I still would much prefer an updated KLC over Gadget!

Cinebient wrote: I still would much prefer an updated KLC over Gadget!
^^^ THIS ^^^ :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”