NewSonicArts - Freestyle ...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Freestyle

newsonicarts wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:How do we uninstall the demo SoundPacks on Windows?
Just delete the SoundPack (.sndpak) file.

Is it possible to move the factory content/samples to another drive?
I did chose a location during install but this seems to only affect where the standalone is installed.

BR:
I found when double clicking one of the demo presets in Freestyle it causes it to crash. I had the full suite installed.

Occurred in both the release and beta versions of Freestyle.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

newsonicarts wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:How do we uninstall the demo SoundPacks on Windows?
Just delete the SoundPack (.sndpak) file.

Is it possible to move the factory content/samples to another drive?
I did chose a location during install but this seems to only affect where the standalone is installed.

BR:
I found when double clicking one of the demo presets in Freestyle it causes it to crash. I had the full suite installed.

Occurred in both the release and beta versions of Freestyle.

I'm trying out the demo. Can the event player play other timesignatures than 4/4? If the event player was more flexible I would buy Freestyle in a heartbeat.

Can the event player play other timesignatures than 4/4?
It's my reason for buying Freestyle, the event player. Once I saw the free hand it gave me playing a part I was sold.

Yeah, I'd like to see them expand time signatures.

fyi
The Computer Music magazine version allows you to load all the bundled VSTs that come with the mag

I think it would be valuable to have the option of floating all windows.

aka Nuance, Granite, Event Player, Mixer, etc.

Does it support VST3-plugins yet? My Roland Cloud Legendary plug-ins are not showing up in Freestyle. And unfortunately Roland does not provide the VST2-versions on the Mac...

I'm demoing on a Macbook using the internal sound card and it seems I cannot have both the audio input and output selected in the Setup dialogue..it's either/or not both? So when I go to the input tab and select Audio Inputs 1 and 2 it works (didn't know Freestyle has audio in!) but then if I go to the output tab and select the Audio Out 1 and 2 the inputs disappear.

kiezum wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:08 pm I'm trying out the demo. Can the event player play other timesignatures than 4/4? If the event player was more flexible I would buy Freestyle in a heartbeat.
Pleased to announce variable time-signatures are now supported in the latest Public Beta, v1.31 which is available now in the User Area.

This build also a lot of other fixes for other issues mentioned in this thread, including several crashes and VST scanning issues on OSX.

The next big improvements planned for the Event Player are to make it full screen, or split screen (as part of a general new view mode) plus multiple patterns. If there are any other requests be sure to share them.

I am also particuarly interested to hear what Kore 2 users are still missing from Freestyle, if anything.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

pinki wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:13 pm I'm demoing on a Macbook using the internal sound card and it seems I cannot have both the audio input and output selected in the Setup dialogue..it's either/or not both? So when I go to the input tab and select Audio Inputs 1 and 2 it works (didn't know Freestyle has audio in!) but then if I go to the output tab and select the Audio Out 1 and 2 the inputs disappear.
For this case you can setup an aggregate device in the OSX Audio settings dialog to bind them together.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:36 am I am also particuarly interested to hear what Kore 2 users are still missing from Freestyle, if anything.
Kore 2 had continuous morphing between eight different variations of the sound, and that was certainly a unique feature. Is this sort of set up possible using the crossfade module in Freesytle?

See 2:18 mark on the vid below

https://youtu.be/My4R0dEryQo?t=138

I am also particuarly interested to hear what Kore 2 users are still missing from Freestyle, if anything.
Oh me oh my where to start on the wonderful Kore2, the holy grail and NI's biggest mistake in dropping it.
Obviously morphing is huge but also the tagged browser was amazing. The methodology of creating categories and sub-categories was very smart and the searching was neat.
Buttons are sorely missing in Freestyle..it's not even possible to use a knob to turn a button on/off...unless I'm mistaken? (odd omission)
The whole 'Save Performance As Sound' paradigm was sheer genius in Kore..and of course the nesting therein. Very very clever.
Effects..Kore's audio and midi effects were stellar. Particular mention must go to the midi arpeggiator..a work of art and unequalled since in my opinion. I wrote whole pieces with it!
Kore had a midi file player which was well implemented and useful..does Freestyle? Not sure.

Freestyle has many things that Kore never had..I won't list/compare them as that was not the question..but midi recording/playback is huge. And snapshots..Kore had something but it was nowhere near as good.
(And many other things I really like about Freestyle)

Kore never had an audio player or recorder..and.. neither does Freestyle. It drove me nuts with Kore..and it does with Freestyle, except today I found a solution..Sound Siphon. Works well to record Freestyle when standalone.
Could Nuance have a 'latch' mode: then we have an instant audio player, easy solution and actually latch mode is super useful for many other things (drones etc)
Last edited by pinki on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

newsonicarts wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:12 am
pinki wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:13 pm I'm demoing on a Macbook using the internal sound card and it seems I cannot have both the audio input and output selected in the Setup dialogue..it's either/or not both? So when I go to the input tab and select Audio Inputs 1 and 2 it works (didn't know Freestyle has audio in!) but then if I go to the output tab and select the Audio Out 1 and 2 the inputs disappear.
For this case you can setup an aggregate device in the OSX Audio settings dialog to bind them together.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000
This is odd. I don't normally have to do this. In fact I've never had to create an aggregate device and it's generally not stable. Normally one just selects the input as the input and the output as the output!

pinki wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:25 pm This is odd. I don't normally have to do this. In fact I've never had to create an aggregate device and it's generally not stable. Normally one just selects the input as the input and the output as the output!
This is because most apps automatically create an aggregate device for the "Built In" devices programatically. The Apple Built-In devices appear to the system as separate drivers and even more strangely there is no official way for the developer to detect that they 'should' be linked (no common ID or such like), so the standard workaround is to search by the string "Built-In" and then programatically create an aggregate device on the fly. It sounds like an ugly hack and frankly it is, which is ultimately why we decided not to do it. Especially given that the primary use case for our apps is as a plugin, so the benefit vs cost of maintaining such a hack did not seem worth it (and even for the desktop standalone case, most users are using a pro-soundcard rather than built-in).

Freestyle does of course have a greater use-case as a standalone, so perhaps its something we could consider changing in the future but for now, we ask the user to create the aggregate device if they wish to use Built In with both in and outs.

It may be unstable for combining drivers from different vendors which have different clocks etc, but it is fine and required to merge the built in ones as they are designed to be aggregated (as explained, it is what the apps you are referring to are doing for you temporarily anyway)
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

OK James understood. I do normally have an external sound card but I'm demoing at the moment so sitting on the loo with my laptop is occurring...
And you are right..the scenario I have used aggregate devices in the past is with different manufacturers, so if it's stable internally then no problem.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”