Bars&Pipes

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone remember this old Amiga sequencer?

From what I understand, it is a modular MIDI sequencer, with very powerful tools. Sounds like it has some high & low level MIDI tools, something like energyXT & Plogue Bidule. Anyone used it, or can provide comments/experiences?

I recently just downloaded WinUAE, the Amiga emulator, and the Bars&Pipes (now freeware, see here and here) files to see if I could get it running. I haven't found any Amiga ROMS yet though (need these to run WinUAE, so have yet to attempt.

I hear running it on an old Amiga you get rock-solid timing like an Atari. I am into alternative sequencers, and I wouldn't mind buying an old Amiga, if it is worthwhile (can't imagine timing on PC running an emulator is any good).

It may be a huge hassle & learning curve with not much to gain, and much music making time lost, but a different way of working might be inspiring.

I found it hard to work with because it is a linear sequencer.You can't loop sections.To make a loop you have to copy the MIDI information along the timeline instead of just setting a couple of markers.
IIRC, there is a lot of stopping and starting to do edits which also put me off.
I was always more of an Octamed guy.

Hello! I actually bought that sequencer back then. It is still unmatched in features. Incredible modular midi!!!! (hundreds of midi plugins!!!) + master track with tempo and chords changes... really I can only dream of having that today!!!! I am thinking of plugging back my amigas to run it....

Has anyone run this with WinUAE yet? I love trying out old skool things like thid being the geek that I am.

I tried Cubase on an Atari emulator but it suprisingly took a high amount of CPU

I haven't yet, searching for Amiga ROMS. I owned a few Amigas back in the day.. so I don't feel back about grabbing ROM or two. :) If anyone wants to help me out.. :)

This is the best MIDI sequencer ever made and yes, Amiga was unmatched clock related. I used it to record guide tracks on my records, back then.

another great Amiga sequencer I used was Dr. T's KCS program. Both were way ahead in their days.

forgot...went back to my old floppies and found deluxe music construction set and soundscape. Really enjoyed all of them
Last edited by fster on Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

I've mentioned it a few times on here in how it was one of many music creation programs that I used back in the 1990's. It was at least for midi, one of the most powerful programs of it's kind.. I acquired them vie that of magazine cover disks back then and still have them locked in a case that resides in my loft amoung many others like Octamed 4 / 5 and 6 & Sound Studio my favourite I used to create music, a few other soundtracker programs like Fast Tracker, Dr T's Tiger Cub sequencer which isn't too dissimilar to Daws of today in traditional midi sequencing, and Algomusic (not really a music sequencer but a cool generative dance music creator program). Besides that there was sample manipulation programs like Aural illusions and Audio Master.. and there was even a a TB 303 Emulator program... which was pretty cruddy to look at but pretty fun.

I still play the old Amiga games on my standard A1200 like Settlers, Ruff & Tumble, Disposable Hero and Super Stardust AGA... on odd occasions...

Someone posted a video of Bar & Pipes which is interesting to look back on... interesting things like midi note echo effects and a bunch of other things that you could attach onto the tracks..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd23kqMYPDs
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

fster wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:05 pm another great Amiga sequencer I used was Dr. T's KCS program. Both were way ahead in their days.
they were actually part of their days really - what has happened since then is the rise of a huge commercial market that has channeled innovation into fairly mainstream commercial ideas of music. you need to go into something like Max or PureData or one of the music programming environments to find things like KCS now.
But even mainstream programs like Reaper or Live or Bitwig can do all sorts of complex interesting musics that we only dreamt of getting our computers to do back in the 80s or 90s

This sequencer is currently available for the Icaros Desktop

http://arosalive.blogspot.com/2018/01/b ... alive.html

Bars&Pipes was ported to AROS, (the
Amiga Reasearch Operating System) in 2018,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AROS_Rese ... ing_System

and AROS is the core of Icaros Desktop, which can run Native on a pc,
using 1 cpu core, and 4 gig ram, or hosted as a sandboxed app in linux.

http://vmwaros.blogspot.com/p/versions-comparison.html

http://vmwaros.blogspot.com/2019/06/ica ... ga-ng.html

http://vmwaros.blogspot.com/p/screenshots.html

12-year old thread rises from the dead!

Definitely not dead, just old. New developements,
or developements outside the mainstream are still
of interest to a few people. There are about 5000
known users of either original Amiga computers, new
PPC or Power based computers using Amiga OS4,
users of emulation software, or users of offshoots
like Icaros/AROS. Also the Morphos userbase
has quite a few running Amiga software on many
PPC Macs, both laptops and desktops. Considering
Amiga OS was for computers with 7 to 40 mhz cpu's,
things run quite well on new, or upgraded classic hardware.

If we can score a week or two of heavy snow here,
I may have to dabble with Icaros, and the bootable
'Amiga Forever' emulation ($40 or so, I think)

(winuae is a free emu, , if you have or buy Amiga ROMs)

I have an XG rompler that
should be fine with Bars&Pipes.
Cheers

Some of you are showing their age.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

And some just show their grammar.

The biggest and most egregious issue stopping me using my own Amiga 1200 units is the lack of a screen. Using it on a TV with composite video out is shit. There just aren’t any modern displays that synch at 15hz. I’ve gone through the list at the 15hz monitor wiki and cannot find a single one anywhere.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”