Giga format to others

Official support for: precisionsound.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I note that some sounds are only available in Giga format. What is the easiest, most efficient way to convert these to Kontakt or even wav formats?
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

The easiest way is to import the giga file in Kontakt. Kontakt reads gigafiles.

precisionsound wrote:The easiest way is to import the giga file in Kontakt. Kontakt reads gigafiles.
And then saved as...?
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

After importing you save the sound as an .nki file. You get a .nki and a folder with the WAV files.

Does this conversion affect the quality of the sample at all?

No the quality is the same. At least to the ears. :)

I would like to point out that conversions between formats may have to be fixed by hand.
Lately, I've been converting a bunch of Giga, EXS24 & Kontakt files to Soundfonts.
Results are unpredictable, whatever the tool used (Awave Studio, SoundFaction Alive, CDXtract, Translator).
Sometimes, it works but...

Either samples are not converted correctly (white noise heard, stereo lost), or volume envelopes are wrong (sounds reduced to a "click").
In these cases, the soundfont must be fixed by hand or, in extreme cases, completely rebuilt.
Example: the Weltmeister accordion.

Conclusion : it's easier to purchase the native format you're using, unless you can use a tool to edit the soundfont and have the time to do so... :wink:

In many cases you must do it by hand, correct stuff manually.
Our SoundFont programs works fine in EXS24, HALion, and Kontakt. But I do not recommend Gigasampler.
Weltmeister accordion is programmed for HALion, Kontakt and I definitely do not recommend anyone to try to make a conversion to SoundFonts in this case. :)
We have altered all the attacks in the programs, there is release samples and that kind of stuff that’s not supported by the SoundFont standard.

I have used the Weltmeister accordion samples to make my personal soundfont from scratch and it sounds very good, very natural. No regrets, really.
Hopefully, the loop points defined in the samples are imported successfully (in this case, into Awave Studio). I've just had to define the mappings and the velocity layers.

I have purchased several soundfonts at Precision Sound so far and I'm very satisfied by the quality. Congratulations !

As I've mentioned in another topic, I'm looking for a true orchestral harp. So, if you have some time to spend... :wink:

In the meantime, I'm gonna rush at the new Bolivian panpipes today... :D

Extreme Sample Converter is a steal at the price.

It converts pretty much anything, and has a lot of other facilities besides click-click-conversion :wink:
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Thanks for the advice.

I've already had the opportunity to try "Extreme Sample Converter" to convert a file not converted properly by other tools, but it does not work better.

As far as I know, no tool does the job perfectly. Automatic conversions are always approximate.

Return to “Precisionsound”