New Youtube channel - Loudness War with Warmonger

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello folks,

I observed there's a niche for a channel about electronic music production, that would be on point and go into technical details. So I'm launching my own :)

Now, the first actual episode is about spectrum analyzer:

https://youtu.be/384zDSRNru0

Tell me what you think? Is the sound quality fine? Is the message clear, or maybe overloaded with content?
Going to record more very soon.

...or should I give it up altogether and maybe try better luck at running a grocery? :roll:
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Great! Keep'em coming :tu:

well you are no pro tom, but i shall give it a look later 8)

Will check it out :tu:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

i've watched through the first video. your speech sounds like you were recording it on Skype through a dialup connection - LOADS of noise reduction artifacts (characteristic "underwater" sound) and general audio quality is very bad. please buy a proper mic :)

EDIT: i can see there's an actual mic there. well, either bring it closer, or check its orientation, or... well... do something!
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you for your feedback.
please buy a proper mic
I bought this (cheap) mic specifically for this podcast. Don't really know how good or bad it is, or how good it should be. Didn't record at home yet. Any recommendations?
LOADS of noise reduction artifacts
Yep, there's a whole chain of effects to improve the sound quality. When I talk quiter some endings may get cut.
Also, adaptive filter adds weird color to sound, but it's already better than when I started :v.

I was suprised that my mic outputs so much noise in lower frequencies, to kill them I need to do some strong filtering.

It's a condenser mic for podcast, with great opinions all over internet. I tried to plug it to phantom power, but that only made it lounder and didn't improve SNR.

But yes, for this price tag I could buy the mic stand alone :P
Your head can be made smaller. Stick it in the corner of the screen.
The big head was only for start. In second video I actually work with Ableton.
Screen that does not blind you. A nice gray compromise. Some will say it's too bright, some too dark. At least half the people will be happy!
This one quite suprised me. Been working with bright theme since forever, didn't expect it may be an issue for people. But yes, some folks were suprised by the fact in the past.
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Allright, I think the noise is the issue with PSU. That is, I don't have a ground pin in my wall outlet anywhere in this flat...

Recorded mic input with no processing:
https://soundcloud.com/djwarmonger/raw- ... ut/s-jeva0

Any tips on that?
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feedback: I lasted 5 seconds before I turned it off. There is some kind of horrible modulation happening on the sound that it was simply unlistenable. Sorry :shrug:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:29 am Feedback: I lasted 5 seconds before I turned it off. There is some kind of horrible modulation happening on the sound that it was simply unlistenable. Sorry :shrug:
indeed, for an audio related channel, the minimum i expect is clear audio.

Ok, I get it. Can you please help with mic issue?

DJ Warmonger wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:28 pm Ok, I get it. Can you please help with mic issue?
can you give us a little more info on the set up?
mic model and interface.
are you adding too much gain?

do you have any previous mic set up experience?
if not, read up on "proximity effect".
mic positioning picks up different freq ranges, due to wavelengths. could save you adding filtering and causing it to be unnatural sounding.

Thanks vurt.

Mic: https://en.tracer.eu/microphone-set-tracer-studio-pro
Interface: Komplete Audio 6 (older version)
https://www.amazon.com/Native-Instrumen ... B004YPRPJ6

Mic is connected to interface by XLR.
Interface is powered by shielded (but long) USB cable with ferrite.
are you adding too much gain?
Nope, only boost it in digital after filtering. The clip above is recorded with no processing at all.
mic positioning picks up different freq ranges, due to wavelengths
Tried moving mic around, it's a constant hum - not acoustic for sure.
Actually it's a periodic signal, maybe PC fan or some unknown source?
do you have any previous mic set up experience?
So far only recorded anything at anechoic chamber at university :roll: Now I'm on my own.

only on my phone at the min, the sc file is barely loud enough to hear your vocalisations let alone background hum.
ill have a listen on monitors later...

you suspect the psu, is there any way you can put some distance between the pc case and you/the mic/monitor.
it could be picking up em interference even if not picking it up acoustically?

also, what lighting are you using?
sometimes strip lights for example can cause a hum.

Return to “Production Techniques”