Question about production.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It s better add fx like chorus phaser etc after eq and dinamic things ? Another question: in the mixing process after limiting one tracks i can add other plug in? For example after limiting the bass.. I can use dinamic eq at the end of chain?

There are no rules, but, it can make a big difference what order effects are in.
You need to imagine what they are each doing, and if you want the next plug in the chain will do.
e.g. Do you want that phaser to 'ride' the dynamics that would come before it? Or, do you want the dynamics to act upon the static phaser effect.. etc...
ImageImageImageImage

Same for the the limiter? I can add other thing such as dinamic eq for make kick-bass better after limiting the bass ?

The question seems wrong. Because there is also difference if you put dynamic stuff before or after EQ. Also you talk about EQ and then about dynamic EQ. You need to be more clear.
But anyway, you can put anything after anything. It's just depends on what you want to achieve.
Subscribe me. I need folowers.
SoundCloud / Youtube / some music

as said, there are no rules.
just techniques for certain sounds.

knowing what you want to achieve is half the battle, the other knowing how to.

if you try combinations, over time you will learn more about what to expect from a certain fx order.

I agree with vurt - the easiest way to see the difference between effects in different places in the chain is to try it.

Limiter is ok, but you just have to watch headroom. Dont have your limiter mashing it to 0db and sending a super hot signal into whatever follows it.
ImageImageImageImage

I had this doubt about the limiter.. Because I always read that it must necessarily be the last process in the mixing phase.

Yea a lot of the time a limiter is being used like that but you can go easier and leave it at lower db levels on individual tracks. Maybe thats not called limiting? I dunno. It tightens things up before they go to the master. And I think it helps with loudness maximizing later too.
I dont usually use harsher compression settings on individual channels myself, but I know some people do almost by default at the end of every chain.
ImageImageImageImage

As I understand it "linear" effects including clean digital implementations of EQ, chorus and delay can be combined in any order and give the same result. Nonlinear effects like dynamics processing and saturation are very sensitive to ordering. Analog-modelled EQ etc will be slightly non-linear so there is a difference but not a big one.

Is that how I end up with three EQs on a track? :hihi:
ImageImageImageImage

I never use a limiter except when mastering. Mixing well isn’t necessarily about getting every instrument to the same perceived volume level.

cam roll wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:55 pm I had this doubt about the limiter.. Because I always read that it must necessarily be the last process in the mixing phase.
while this is true, it does not exclude them from being used elsewhere.
domt use them much creatively personally, but as an example as well as the one in last place for mastering, there may also be one on a drum bus. or on a vocal to catch any peaks.

cam roll wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:55 pm I had this doubt about the limiter.. Because I always read that it must necessarily be the last process in the mixing phase.
I use a limiter on a track if the peaks require it. Sometimes the difference between rms and peak is so big that it needs some squashing.

Drum sounds can often have a huge difference between peak and body so.. Limit the crap out of it if you want the body to be audible.

Processing audio is a methodical process that involves creativity in problem solving as much as creativity for the sake of entertainment. As many have suggested, there aren't really any rules beyond learning what each processor can do before applying that knowledge to the audio that you want to change. If the audio does not need to be changed, don't change it.

Limiters can be used in sound design as much as for controlling peak level. Again, it's about how things sound to you more than any real rules. The rules that you will want to pay attention to are wave theory, sampling theory and a little of acoustics and psychoacoustics. When it comes to processing effects, you'll want to learn how they work and what they do to establish how to best use them in compliance with the aforementioned subjects.

User and maintenance manuals can sometimes be surprisingly helpful.

Return to “Production Techniques”