Looking for a good Mixing Mastering Course

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I've been a musician since 1998 when I got my first guitar. I mainly have focused on composition of music instead of mixing, I barely ever do mixing and used to have this weird idea in my head that if my song didn't sound good with no EQ it wasn't even a good enough composition to mix and master. But since doing that I've kind of screwed my self on mixing and mastering.

I really want to learn it from the ground up. I basically have barely no ear for it now and need to retrain my ear.

My Favorite genre right now is Dreamwave, Chillwave, like Sigur Ros, M83. Those might be a little too dirty on the reverb side, I'd like to get as clean as mixes as possible, and possibly improve on using reverb.

I Own izotope 9 advanced through splices subscription, it has automatically increased my mixes a lot but I want to finally learn mixing and mastering. I own and only use FL Studio 20 now too.

Does anyone know any good courses that teach mixing and mastering from the ground up (that focus on how you get anything to sound good to the ear and not be harsh or boring. I've heard the saying you can polish a turd musically, and I'd like to be able to do that lol).

Thanks in advance CJ!

SAE has some great tutors and facilities. It definitely helps if you already have some experience so I think you could get a lot out of a sound engineering diploma course.

I have a lot of material about Mixing on my site and increasingly on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/BenedictRo ... subscriber

Maybe start with a Mix Walkthrough or two (viewing Playlists can help).
If you have a thing you want to have covered, ask in the comments (or a PM here or on Messenger)

Don't think that you started too far off the right idea. If the composition is rubbish, the mix won't do anything but make it shiny rubbish. That seems to be enough for some audiences but won't make anything that lasts or buys an audience as an Indie musician.

The ground up is: working composition, well performed. The mix is then simply selling the ideas of the music. Mastering to make it work in the delivery method. Remember at all times that recorded music is all illusion so the rules may not be what you expect.

Scene & Story delivered with Tone over Time.

:-)

Reference tracks - a fun and rewarding way to learn. Write your music - just have fun doing so and don't worry too much about your mix. Just write your music as you want to hear it. Then, pull up some reference tracks that are similar/you want to sound like. Basically try to get close to what you hear in the reference tracks with simple volume, balance and eq and reverb. This process will teach you a lot.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:51 am Reference tracks - a fun and rewarding way to learn. Write your music - just have fun doing so and don't worry too much about your mix. Just write your music as you want to hear it. Then, pull up some reference tracks that are similar/you want to sound like. Basically try to get close to what you hear in the reference tracks with simple volume, balance and eq and reverb. This process will teach you a lot.
Don't really know where to start with eq. This is mainly what i want to learn actually. What frequencies sound good/bad and how to fix that. But I'd like to learn from the best of the best.
Anyone know of a online course less than 100$ that is really good?

cj31387 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:22 pm
do_androids_dream wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:51 am Reference tracks - a fun and rewarding way to learn. Write your music - just have fun doing so and don't worry too much about your mix. Just write your music as you want to hear it. Then, pull up some reference tracks that are similar/you want to sound like. Basically try to get close to what you hear in the reference tracks with simple volume, balance and eq and reverb. This process will teach you a lot.
Don't really know where to start with eq. This is mainly what i want to learn actually. What frequencies sound good/bad and how to fix that. But I'd like to learn from the best of the best.
Anyone know of a online course less than 100$ that is really good?
It is always best to address each signal uniquely. In other words - EQ presets are pretty much useless. EQing by ear rather than eye helps to train the ears. If you can find the "golden ears" test, that can help to train your ears so you can hear individual frequencies and know roughly where they are before reaching for an EQ. The more you listen critically, the more you will improve but it does take a lot of hours of training - which continues after completing the golden ears program.

There are a number of ways in which you can employ EQ as well: Cleaning audio, adjusting tone, ducking audio, special effects, etc. So you'll need to learn different methods for each different task.

I would either start with adjusting tone or cleaning audio - learning the boost, sweep and cut method with peak filters. Eventually, you'll find that the range over which you're having to sweep the cutoff frequency will reduce as you pinpoint troublesome frequencies more efficiently.

I'm sure there are some good YouTube videos out there which can help you start these days.

I would suggest that you might want to spend a bit of time using YT search to take a look at some of the different channels that include information on mixing. I wouldn't focus too much on any particular genre, so much as trying to find a few people that click with you and seem to know what they are doing. In particular, look for tutorials where the video goes into *why* a particular choice was made. It's understanding that process of identifying an issue and knowing how to address it that is most important, and that isn't so much a genre specific thing.

That's not to say genre-specific mixing tutorials are a bad idea per se; just that most of the concepts are universally applicable. If you find yourself facing a *specific* problem or want to learn more about a specific trick, then a more specific search is in order. But for the most part, you want to get a broad idea of what to be looking out for to start off with.

Different people learn different ways and find different styles useful. That's why I'd suggest a little bit of exploration on your own part, to see what works for you. I would guess that this is already obvious to you from the way you've phrased your question, but you generally want to avoid the clickbait videos like "10 Secret Pro Tricks to Make Your Mix Sound Amazing". While some of them are actually better than the title and thumbnail suggest, an awful lot of them are not really teaching you anything but more like "download this plugin, dial in these settings, you are now pro". And as you probably already know, that's not really how it works :)

The Art of Mixing video posted above is very instructive and probably not a bad place to start.

The other thing I would recommend is sharing your tracks and asking for feedback. You'll hopefully get specific suggestions that are tailored to your music and pointers on what to look out for and what to address.

Agreed. The core principals of audio processing and mixing are transferable between all genres. All you have after that are genre specific processing tricks, which can mostly be worked out by ear when you know your gear.

Watch the Behind The Speakers channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClzweV ... bMt0OtR33w
That's one of the few guys who explains things correctly. I don't know about his course. He has something. But his channel was huge breakthrough for me(and I watched, read a lot of stuff before stumbled upon him).
The only problem is that he is for live music. I am in electronic. But I understood how to translate things he said.
P.S.
The only track I released with some knowledge I got from this channel at this moment is the new one(can be found on my soundcloud) - Exoplanet. Don't judge my skills under any older tracks.
Subscribe me. I need folowers.
SoundCloud / Youtube / some music

ya dont need a course! pretty much anyone can learn it and practically anyone does. Look at fiverr..full of amateur mixers charging 70 bucks to mix and master = no chance of us 'trained' engineers making anything. Over 7 thousand offering the same service on the same site. Too much supply, next to 0 demand.

Long story short, figure out why you wanna learn how to mix. If it's just to do your own material then great, if you wanna mix as a profession, forget about it, you'll make more as an uber driver or delivering pizzas part time.

You should check Andrew Zeleno on YT, he knows EVERYTHING about audio production, and he tells you WHY and HOW to do something. There are a lot of videos on YT.

NTO wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:36 pm Couple hours of YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY
Dear god, this mustache is mesmerizing. :o

badgrplayer wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:14 am
NTO wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:36 pm Couple hours of YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY
Dear god, this mustache is mesmerizing. :o
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Production Techniques”