About doubling vocals by tracking them in stereo

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ADT Azurite

Maybe someone likes to try my Azurite ADT preset :D

If you don't have the free Azurite plugin, I've linked it to this topic so you can grab it.

Here's my preset:
azurite-adt.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:42 pm
planetearth wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:03 am And again, it's still not a "stereo" track, since true "stereo" requires different information in both channels. Having the exact, same audio information in both channels would make it a "dual-mono" signal, not a stereo one.
You are technically correct. However, normally we use the term 'stereo track' to designate the fact that there is separate information for left and right, regardless if that information is different or not. A stereo plugin doesn't care if it is processing the same signal on each side, the result is still two separate channels with information. From the perspective of a DAW there is no difference between stereo or dual-mono.
True. I was merely re-stating the technical difference, since the OP seemed to be a bit confused about the differences.

And yes, Azurite does offer some interesting effects for a free plug-in. I used it for ADT-type effects before grabbing Waves' Abbey Road ADT plug-in (and I still have Azurite installed, for other things). But anyone looking for something similar might find something in Azurite that can help.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:29 am True. I was merely re-stating the technical difference, since the OP seemed to be a bit confused about the differences.
Fair enough :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

[quote=crimsonwarlock post_id=7590688 time=1575092602 user_id=468]
[quote=Forgotten post_id=7589695 time=1575046328 user_id=439272]
However, you will never get the same effect as recording more than one take of the same voice singing a unison harmony due to the small differences between takes.
[/quote]

Actually, ADT does come pretty close, especially when compared inside a complete mix. Besides that, the tools are getting better. As I stated before I'm using Azurite which does a much better job then the 'normal' delay based ADT plugins (that I've tried and used before) because Azurite has a random mod feature that mimics human timing differences (when singing a double take) that comes pretty close.

Another thing is that with ADT your transients do line up pretty close by default, while doing double takes can involve some serious editing to get them to line up.... unless you are recording the Beach Boys or Steely Dan of course :D
[/quote]

It would be much appreciated if you could post the Azure preset. Thanks!

I ues either iZotope's Vocal Doubler, which I got free last year, or WA Production's Vocal Splitter, which does the same thing but with a couple of extra features. I'm not sure if you can get the iZotope one any more but the other one is here - https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/5817
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Kirby7 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:26 am It would be much appreciated if you could post the Azure preset. Thanks!
Already posted it, it's at first reply here the top of this page :D

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:05 pm

Now I'm aware that double-tracking things, even if you pan the individual tracks, increases the perceived volume of the part. Which may mean that I've sort of answered my own question here. Either way, I greatly appreciate any and all insight you can offer.
thats all it does, and is pretty pointless imo

if you want to thicken the sound, you really need multiple takes

if you keep it as mono, you can mulitrack and add fx to one (chorus etc) but you really can't beat a natural multi take

There are plugins which can 'upmix' a mono track to stereo, or stereo to surround. He may have used one of those. Unfortunately IDK much on the topic, vaguely recall that I've seen such in Cubase (coming with the DAW), and I think Voxengo and Waves have such plugins. But not sure.

And no, I'm not talking about doubling or ADT.

But if you're recording in stereo, this is not 'doubling'. Wrong term.

[quote=crimsonwarlock post_id=7612466 time=1576736640 user_id=468]
[quote=Kirby7 post_id=7612394 time=1576725966 user_id=175796]
It would be much appreciated if you could post the Azure preset. Thanks!
[/quote]

Already posted it, it's at first reply here the top of this page :D
[/quote]

Thanks!

I like double tracking with a different mic, except it ends up being almost triple tracking. I'll use a high-quality vocal mic which will remain mono, then thicken up the backing by double-tracking with another mic and processing these two channels.

Another great way to thicken up vocals is with a very short mono reverb.

crimsonwarlock wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:52 am Maybe someone likes to try my Azurite ADT preset :D

If you don't have the free Azurite plugin, I've linked it to this topic so you can grab it.

Here's my preset:
azurite-adt.zip
Thanks, crimson.

Return to “Production Techniques”