Help with Pianoroll keys to get Guitar VST to play the right Chord shapes?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Windows 10 64 bit
Cubase Artist 8
Studio one 4

I am trying to recreate the both the chords and more specifically the correct chord shape of the original four bars in my audio example below. No matter what I do I am not getting anywhere close to the chords sounding like those in the audio example below.

In the audio example the first four bars are the Original and the last 4 bars are where I have managed to get in my DAW.

What I am asking help with is getting the chords or notes right and the tone I can work on later.

I am trying this in Shreddage Stratus as it sounds the closest in tone but I have also tried Music Labs RealStrat and Ample Sound AGF but apart from the chords sounding wrong, they won't play low enough to match the example which sounds to me as if there needs to be another lower octave?

I am not stuck on using Shreddage, I will try any other Guitar VSTi if it will do the job.

So here is what I can tell you.
I purchased the sheet music for the original song by digital download from the publishers and for this 4 chord guitar part I am trying to emulate it gives the following.

For Guitar
Bar 1. Dmaj Bar 2. Bmin Bar 3. Emag Bar 4. Amaj

For Piano
Bar 1. B-D-F# Bar 2. D-F#-A Bar 3. A-C#-E Bar 4. B-C#-E

I have tried these and, to me, they do not sound close, I have tried rearranging the notes within the chords, augmented or expanded them in the hope it would coax Shreddage to play what I need but no luck.

I have included a screen shot of my piano roll for the sound clip of MY recreation so you can see where I am at.

I am stuck in a rut and any help would be brilliant?

First 4 bars = Original. Last 4 bars = my effort
https://soundcloud.com/kennyjaymes/guit ... le/s-rwpv0

My current Piano Roll

Hi NTO. Thanks for your reply and sorry for not responding until now but I have been rather unwell. I'm afraid that video (although good) does not help me as I have tried everything it shows and more but like I say I can not get the chords I produce to sound the same chord as those being played in the original.

event2020 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:24 pm I purchased the sheet music for the original song by digital download from the publishers and for this 4 chord guitar part I am trying to emulate it gives the following.

For Guitar
Bar 1. Dmaj Bar 2. Bmin Bar 3. Emag Bar 4. Amaj

For Piano
Bar 1. B-D-F# Bar 2. D-F#-A Bar 3. A-C#-E Bar 4. B-C#-E
I think you have some of your guitar chords wrong here.

Bar 1. Dmaj = D-A-D-F#

Bar 2. Bmin = B-F#-B-D-F#

Bar 3. Emaj = E-B-E-G#-B-E

Bar 4. Amaj = A-E-A-C#-E

You have to remember that most guitar chords can easily be inversions and have duplicate notes that aren't necessarily present in piano chords.

Return to “Production Techniques”