How to calibrate your ears for mixing?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, everyone! =)

I’ve been noticing more and more how what I hear before mixing affects my results. For example, if I listen to a heavy metal track full of guitars to “tune” my ears, the final mix of the tracking I’m working on tends to sound a bit harsher in the high mids. On the other side, if I listen to a good vibes acoustic song before mixing, my ears tend to tolerate less midrange harshness and I end up cutting more of that region.

So, how do you calibrate your ears before mixing to get a flatter result?

I don't know if I'd call it calibrating my ears. but I sometimes listen to commercial music in a similar style to what I'm mixing as a guideline or comparison.

Don't listen to (loud) music right before a mixing session, and learn how to use reference tracks.

Also, take regular breaks during longer mixing sessions.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Do your serious mixing in the morning, while your ears are fresh. Your ears will be much more tired in the evening, no matter how much you "calibrate" them.

And really get to know your speakers.

Googly Smythe wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 am Do your serious mixing in the morning, while your ears are fresh. Your ears will be much more tired in the evening, no matter how much you "calibrate" them.

Hi there! It seems a solid advice, could you please elaborate more on how to do that? Thanks!

Googly Smythe wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 am Do your serious mixing in the morning, while your ears are fresh. Your ears will be much more tired in the evening, no matter how much you "calibrate" them.

This. First thing in the morning: coffee, walk outside.. and mix.

You mix outside?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Hahah. If I could I would ;)

Re the OPs question: no “calibration” required but always always have a reference track loaded into the project.

what the f**k is this "morning" you speak of?

peakles wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:03 am

Hi there! It seems a solid advice, could you please elaborate more on how to do that? Thanks!
You get to know your speakers simply by listening to a lot of different recordings of varying quality (not just good!) and musical styles. And when I say listen, I mean listen with a critical ear. You'll soon get to know the characteristics of your speakers/room setup.

As for reference tracks, these are a good idea - if you can find a track that is close to what you're aiming for.

vurt wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:59 pm

:scared:

vurt wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:59 pm
Googly Smythe wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 am Do your serious mixing in the morning, ...
Yeah, that is clear: After working through the night,
the morning is dreading. And this time - you are
tired, fatigued and tend to see hallucinations -
this time is the best for mixing! :help:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:15 am You mix outside?
<taps head> Don't need room treatment if you're mixing outdoors.

Gamma-UT wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:55 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:15 am You mix outside?
<taps head> Don't need room treatment if you're mixing outdoors.
Mind blown. That’s next level man.

Return to “Production Techniques”