What octave to place sub bass

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Im making a dance track that uses a bassline with most of the notes being in D and the highest note is in F ( all within the same octave ) and im wondering where is it best to place the sub bass? I dont have a great setup so cant really monitor the very low end which is why im asking.

Going with the note D, is it best to use D1 @ 36hz or D2 @ 73hz ? At D1 i can barely hear/feel a sub and at D2 i can hear it well but it seems a bit too high in the spectrum for sub bass imo.

What would others do? and whats the highest and lowest frequency you would use sub bass?

Without proper monitoring its pretty much guesswork, and setting levels will be difficult. If it sounds too high then drop it by an octave, but without a sub monitor it may become inaudible. My advice is get a sub and/or some good headphones.

Agreed. If you can’t hear it you can’t mix it, so it might sound like crap - it will be guesswork without being able to hear.

Good headphones would be a good investment.

what they said. you wouldn't try mixing without any monitors at all, why try mixing things you cant hear?
sort out the monitoring, sub or phones :l

I wouldn't go below 40 Hz to be honest, it sounds just wrong. If you play in key D at 73 Hz, you might want to mix in some fundamental at 2/3 frequency just to keep the bottom end low and fat.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Why not post that kick&bass combo so we can judge it better, sometimes your kick have enough sub frequencies so your bass could just fill in occasionally, in your case maybe having that F kicking in at 43hz as lowest bass note occasionally isn't bad idea at all, than having kick at G/G#, that rest of the bass at higher spectrum, if you kick have longer tail, you can't fit much anyways.

Sk1nZ wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:35 pm whats the highest and lowest frequency you would use sub bass?
For reference, lowest note on a base guitar is an E at 41.2 Hz. It's being used all the time, although not always just as a pure sine like usual for sub bass. You can try to use a patch with a bit of higher harmonics on top of the fundamental sine. For example use a triangular waveform and close the filter somewhat.

Minor third higher is the G at 49 Hz. For Europeans quite close to 50Hz mains hum. American 60 Hz mains hum is right inbetween Bb and B.

Your D just below the E should be 36.7 Hz. Pretty normal, but quite low. You could try transposing the whole song to D# or E, just see whether that clears up stuff a bit.

I would never go below the C of 32 Hz.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

thanks for the replies

finally got around to testing it on a few systems and 36hz is much better than 73hz for this track, 73 was too high, 36 is great when you can hear/feel it

Return to “Production Techniques”