I'm too perfectionist and spend 6 months - 1 year in avarage to complete songs. Am I alone? Hey,

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As far as you being alone, I can't answer that question. I don't know how long other people take to finish a song nor do I care to find out. Personally, I don't know how anybody can take so long to finish one song. Life is so short. If I did a song every year, I'd be dead before I finished a whole album.

I can do a song a day if I have to. If I really nit pick over a song, it takes me about 7 days. Longer than that, I can't even imagine.

But, to each his own. If somebody wants to spend a year on a song, it's not for me to say whether it's right or wrong. That's between them and their conscience. I only know that I would never take that long on a piece of music.

NEVER.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:54 pm NEVER.
Aimed at me? :wink:

I don't disagree, I just think there are other ways to look at art than an assembly line that produces acceptable product. Many other ways. But having a work ethic is fantastic, and if producing acceptable product satisfies you, then that's great. Really.

"Have no fear of perfection --you'll never reach it." -Salvador Dali

datroof wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:12 am
wagtunes wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:54 pm NEVER.
Aimed at me? :wink:

I don't disagree, I just think there are other ways to look at art than an assembly line that produces acceptable product. Many other ways. But having a work ethic is fantastic, and if producing acceptable product satisfies you, then that's great. Really.
No, it was a direct answer to the OP's question so aimed at nobody but him. Actually, not really "aimed" at anybody. Just stating a fact. I would never spend a year doing one song. But I am not judging anybody who does. Again, to each his own. Whatever works for you.

BUT...If anybody wants to stop spending so much time on one song, the solution is simple. Just don't do it. We have total control of how long we choose to work on something, especially if it's just for fun. Now, if you do this for a living and on a deadline, maybe not so much. I could take 20 years on a song if I want to. I simply choose not to.

It's really that simple.

If i got a clear goal like a intro for game or a deadline on a contest i need nearly to nothing time
But if i work on something which steals my heart I need endless time.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:44 am
No, it was a direct answer to the OP's question so aimed at nobody but him. Actually, not really "aimed" at anybody. Just stating a fact. I would never spend a year doing one song. But I am not judging anybody who does. Again, to each his own. Whatever works for you.

BUT...If anybody wants to stop spending so much time on one song, the solution is simple. Just don't do it. We have total control of how long we choose to work on something, especially if it's just for fun. Now, if you do this for a living and on a deadline, maybe not so much. I could take 20 years on a song if I want to. I simply choose not to.

It's really that simple.
Learning how to work without relying on your muse is part of being a professional. But I happen to like my muse, so I'm careful not to lose touch with her. I think that's the risk in being too regimented in your approach. If you lose touch with your creativity, then you may as well be repairing mufflers.
Last edited by datroof on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polomo123 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:10 am If i got a clear goal like a intro for game or a deadline on a contest i need nearly to nothing time
But if i work on something which steals my heart I need endless time.
+1, I can relate. I think it's important to learn to recognize that feeling - of something stealing your heart - and how to (gently) set it aside, if necessary.
Last edited by datroof on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

datroof wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:18 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:44 am

It's really that simple.
Learning how to work without relying on your muse is part of being a professional. But I happen to like my muse, so I'm careful not to lose touch with her. I think that's the risk in being too regimented in your approach. If you lose touch with your creativity, then you may as well be repairing mufflers.
When I don't feel creative I just don't do anything. Fortunately for me, those times in my life have been very few and far between. I had one period between 2003 and 2008 when I stopped writing altogether. But that was it. Outside of those 5 years, I've been going non stop since 1977.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:33 pm
datroof wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:18 pm Learning how to work without relying on your muse is part of being a professional. But I happen to like my muse, so I'm careful not to lose touch with her. I think that's the risk in being too regimented in your approach. If you lose touch with your creativity, then you may as well be repairing mufflers.
When I don't feel creative I just don't do anything. Fortunately for me, those times in my life have been very few and far between. I had one period between 2003 and 2008 when I stopped writing altogether. But that was it. Outside of those 5 years, I've been going non stop since 1977.
That's great to hear! I wish you continued creativity and success.

It’s important to set deadlines / constraints so that work doesn’t continually expand to time allotted. As you get more and more under your belt, it’s should become easier and come faster. I know that when I’m making songs by myself it takes lot longer.

I didn’t scroll back to get more detail, but if you’re only spending an hour a week on a song, it’s going to take a while.

As for a song being done, there are examples of hit songs taking 3 years to finish e.g. writers of “I Can’t Make You Love Me”.

You just need more cowbell. That’s the solution to finishing songs for me.
To the stars through desire.

You don't have to make everything in your life a job or a competition. There's nothing wrong with having a hobby. Not everyone is lucky enough to have one.

That last sentence is prime fodder for the quoted out of context thread but whatever ...
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:24 pm You don't have to make everything in your life a job or a competition. There's nothing wrong with having a hobby. Not everyone is lucky enough to have one.

That last sentence is prime fodder for the quoted out of context thread but whatever ...
take some time on the journey to smell the roses, converse with the birds, no hurry no worry :)

+1

:tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Production Techniques”