Magic 128bpm!?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aloysius wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:29 pm
Forgotten wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:34 pm So, what about A432Hz?
An invention of the NWO. Apparently it causes erectile dysfunction.

i can confirm that, ive had an erection for 9 days now :cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

This thread is funny.

I was reading about Larry Levan a while ago. He produced a club mix of Taana Gardner's "Heartbeat" and kept playing it even though it emptied dance floors. 100 BPM was just too slow for the post-disco crowd.

yellowmix wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:53 pm This thread is funny.

I was reading about Larry Levan a while ago. He produced a club mix of Taana Gardner's "Heartbeat" and kept playing it even though it emptied dance floors. 100 BPM was just too slow for the post-disco crowd.
With mid tempo trending amongst the younger crowd now.. interesting to see how the times change.

Perhaps heart beat resonance has some kind of wacky validity to it. I'd like to ask wizard Steve Duda, I'm sure he's got some tricky reasons 128 bpm works on a psychological level for EDM. Aside from the mathematical reasons of 4/4, subdivisions, 32/64 bar chord progressions and all the rest of it.

Maybe just a case of the pioneers blazing the trail and everyone dancing in their footsteps along to the BPM so they can have an easier time DJing.

96bpm : 2*3*4 and that 4 to the floor

qoyl wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:42 am
yellowmix wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:53 pm This thread is funny.

With mid tempo trending amongst the younger crowd now.. interesting to see how the times change.

Perhaps heart beat resonance has some kind of wacky validity to it. I'd like to ask wizard Steve Duda, I'm sure he's got some tricky reasons 128 bpm works on a psychological level for EDM. Aside from the mathematical reasons of 4/4, subdivisions, 32/64 bar chord progressions and all the rest of it.

Maybe just a case of the pioneers blazing the trail and everyone dancing in their footsteps along to the BPM so they can have an easier time DJing.
its something to do with division in to hertz, commonly associated with theta state, the trance state.
there are many different tempii along the curve, but they will all be multiplied by the corresponding hertz.

If you look up dance tutorial videos on YouTube, take a look at the motions, then listen to the tempo of the genre of music. For example, juke and footwork developed from house music, but are faster at around 140-160. Similarly the dance moves draw from that lineage, but look at this footwork dance which is then slowed down, it doesn't look right if you imagine music at that tempo: https://youtu.be/0iQYF7QvAdY?t=25 (jump to 25 seconds if you are playing embedded)

I don't think you can separate the music from the physical and aesthetic aspects of the dance. For four-on-the-floor dance music, hovering around 120+ BPM allows people with no dance skill to participate while still looking exciting enough when skilled people do it.

Not to say dance to slower tempo music isn't exciting, but it matches the music's type of energy. I think it's interesting that acoustic disco in the 1970s was generally reached 120 BPM then sped up into the 1980s as electronic instruments became more commonplace, spawning things like Hi-NRG. Here, the musicians were often coming from soul and funk backgrounds which was already sped up 20-30% for disco.

Music technology's reached a point where human ability to dance to it is maxed out. Breakcore runs at 300BPM+ and people were confused how to dance to it, ultimately resorting to waving just their arms or moving their feet at half speed: https://www.reddit.com/r/breakcore/comm ... breakcore/

It's because of god.
I5-8600K, 16 GB, Presonus Audiobox USB 96, Fl Studio, Reason 11, Studio One 5 Artist.

I've made and listened a lot of music in this tempo, especially 4to4 stuff and just on instinct I'd say 128 bpm is where the music starts to feel a bit faster than you, which is a rush. So 128 is exciting but not too fast so normies can groove to it. If you make minimal techno at slower tempos you can feel that because it's usually just a kick and hat driving forward. 124-126 bpm is sort of a neutral range.. and below that it really starts to drag and become more hypnotic than exciting... which can be cool. I do a lot of tracks in the low 120 range because there's something off and unsettling about it.

lwj wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:22 pm I'd say 12 bpm is where the music starts to feel a bit faster than you, which is a rush.
That's more like it.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:18 am This is a typical heart rate of people dancing.
Are most people really that unhealthy?

:lol:

Unaspected wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:16 pm
DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:18 am This is a typical heart rate of people dancing.
:hihi:

From my experiments could say that 128 is point of equilibrium,not too fast nor too slow - i've done a lot of trials with 124-138bpm speed and even slow change,slower or faster like 129 or 127 can ruin the perfect balance of melody and speed some dance tracks have,may not be scientifically proved or universal rule but to my ears it's magical dance number,kumbaya :):):)

Unaspected wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:16 pm
well amphetamine isnt one of your five a day normally...

Return to “Production Techniques”