Canadian here: first album coming out...going to YT and BC..copyright in US or CA?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!

Both have affordable prices available..not sure which is best..library of congress or Canadian Intellectual property/SOCAN? Congress allows you to upload your songs..I can't be sure about Canada.

I am aware of automatic copyright and Bandcamp protection but the free for all for claims on youtube is really effing scary. ( I know it's better today but still quite imperfect).

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Since you seem to have done some work/research about this, how much does it costs to copyright a song/EP/album and what advantages does it bring ?

Cheers.

Hey from my limited understanding it costs around 100$ give or take for a "collection of songs" when copyright is registered at US library of congress.

Canadian rates look about the same but I can't figure out if/how to give them a copy of the work (could be this is a separate thing)

I am confused at this point. I am inclined to go for the US but wonder if this is appropriate for non-us folks (on top of that I would prefer sending my money to Canada instead).

OK. So what drives you to have your productions copyrighted ?

There are specific laws around copyright of music, and songs don't need to be registered for copyright as is the case for other creations. In fact (in the US anyway), a song is automatically copyrighted at the moment is is committed to a distributable medium because of those laws.

Going by memory here, so might be worth researching in case I have omitted any subtleties of those laws.

Thanks I am aware that my stuff probably doesnt need it still it is quite hard to enforce anything legally if it is not registered from my understanding.

Youtube my be the worst (bogus claims on music that can't be fought easily) although I am hearing that bandcamp could provide sufficient protection.

What is the biggest drive, loss of revenues or copying ideas from your productions ?

Biggest drive, from his writing, seems to be to protect his work as better as possible so he have less headaches down the line.

The moment you publish you have asserted your rights that this is your work (assuming you didn't nick it yourself or use C Minor lol).

As for actionability. Q: Who is going to nick your work? A: Only people who aren't worth the cost of suing.

On YT if you find you work being monetized, you call a copyright claim on their video. YT are aware of false claims. Show you published first. Sony made a claim on my Bach cover (the old dude is way dead), the claim was removed.

Publish on Bandcamp first as that is the place where people are most interested in art so winning on both fronts.

Save the $100 and spend it on promo instead.

:-)

Thanks. I think youtube is out of control and if my work gets any form of mileage there someone will claim it from me almost certain. Then it would be quite difficult to fight the claim. I will look at options not sure if Bandamp only is the way to go.

Here is an example (not me) of a youtuber which may or not be relevant to my case:

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/commen ... ne_of_the/

Looks like clickbait to me

yul wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:37 pm Thanks. I think youtube is out of control and if my work gets any form of mileage there someone will claim it from me almost certain. Then it would be quite difficult to fight the claim. I will look at options not sure if Bandamp only is the way to go.

Here is an example (not me) of a youtuber which may or not be relevant to my case:

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/commen ... ne_of_the/
hes doing remixes, which depending on how, is a whole different thing to original composition.

Great thanks for the clarification.

I have been putting my music online for 10+ years now and no dramas (other than some trolls saying I am doing it wrong - yet if I check their work, I find none, terrible or both. QED Trolls).

Stop worrying and start doing your thing. Do or not do. There is not obsessing over being stolen from. (or something like that)

:-)

Return to “Production Techniques”