Space Rock Masterclass - from DAW to Tape + VST Giveaway

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Space Rock Masterclass - from the DAW to tape
This video includes a FX VST plugin giveaway - just watch it!
This is a project for sharing ideas, sounds, techniques, plugins,… I tried to be simple but creative and informative, exploring crazy methods and techniques: no compressors, crazy effects chains, using analogue gear, mixing to tape, using tube preamps,…
It started as a small VST plugin test and it evolved to a full tutorial - from my brain to the Master in tape.
This project took more than two months to finish and stole all my spare time so give it a go!
:tu:
This is part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Au3wsH3-Y

Here is the part 2/2 of the Masterclass (from DAW to Tape).
Get Modulation Delay 2 for free just by watching this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhuq5O7mps0

EDIT: After deleting the original part 2 (due to a stupid copyright claim by Sony), here is the re-upload:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2SawroWbMk
Last edited by ourafilmes on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nic overall sound. Shades of A Flock of Seagulls - which is good with me.

:-)

Hi. Thanks.
Yes, I refer that in video 1- intro is very similar to "I run" by AFOS (single version).
Cheers!

Haven't had a chance to see all the video(s) yet but thanks for the drum samples. So far I thought the vocal was very sibilant and I couldn't understand a word the vocalist was singing. Good sound otherwise and you seem to have put a lot of work into the video presentation etc.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Cheers!
Thanks but... you don´t understand the lyrics? I thought they were super clear... :?
That is intriguing me... Is it her or the sound I put around her?

Vocal style and fx imho.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Cheers

I'll be honest and say I found diction a real problem too. I assume she has an accent (which isn't a problem as I love a lot of Euro acts with thick accents, like Front 242, aha and The Twins) but the issue is with her projection and diction. The reverb obfuscates more but isn't the cause.

BTQ I like your t-shirt

Hi. Please be honest! Write what you feel! Thanks for that!

She isn´t a pro obviously. And yes, apart for being portuguese (with our own accent LOL), she lacks a bit of confidence and sometimes that reflects in the tone, timing and/or diction. Most of times, I have to push her and make lots of takes untilI get something "workable"...

But I also have to defend her a bit and say that, as stated in the video:
a) this is a real world video: no hidden pro stuff, no script, you see good and bad stuff,...
b) I put her on real pressure by taking her to the studio for 30 minutes (including tube preamps warmup LOL) and recording all takes on video and audio - she did no practise or did know the song previously. What you see/hear is what happened.
c) I wanted to simulate what is happening with most other people: they are recording people that doesn´t do that for a living. Remember that "in the old days" there were people living on a studio as a musician. They would do it at first take and say: that only that??? I recorded some singers before in conditions like this and it was a piece of cake! And in movies... recording ADR... man, old actors just do it 3 or 4 times live and boom... you don´t need plugins to fix that recording (timewise). They don´t believe in machines to do their work. They are amazing. But this was the opposite situation.

To finish, please note that we are old school, inspired in the 80s, hate auto-tune stuff (we firmly believe that that route makes you a better artist and less of a robot) and tried to work with lots of limitations. Of course, we are not working 100% 80s style but very inspired in that era.

That T-shirt... pfff... is absolutely killer my friend. Although a dinosaur, I am not from 1978 and I bought 2: 1 for my brother´s anniversary (he is from 78 and he loved it) and 1 for me because it is that cool. And it makes me younger at other peolples eyes... LOL!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Australia (you are right on the the side of the world from me)!!!

ourafilmes wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:11 pm Hi. Please be honest...
Cool approach. Makes everything a lot more interesting.

Thanks for sharing it.

Logic Platinum? why?

Logic is the best. I use it since 1998! It "speaks directly" with Logic 9 in the Mac! If it works fine, why change? To learn a new DAW? BTW, I also drive the same car since 1993... Unlike nowadays cars, it is a "fully analogue" machine where I am at 100% of control. And it sounds amazing! I am a strange guy, I know...

ourafilmes wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:11 pm That T-shirt... pfff... is absolutely killer my friend. Although a dinosaur, I am not from 1978 and I bought 2: 1 for my brother´s anniversary (he is from 78 and he loved it) and 1 for me because it is that cool. And it makes me younger at other peolples eyes... LOL!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Australia (you are right on the the side of the world from me)!!!
I understand about the singer (hence not making it a thing at first). Everything you said is obvious in her performance (and video). It doesn't kill the track at all so she did fine.

As for AutoTune and excessive processing, I am right with you. It leads to nothing of any lasting value. I'd rather hear someone with passion but questionable technique than someone with AutoTune to cover a lack of any passion or technique.

Thanks. We were talking the other evening about exactly what is on the opposite side of the globe from Oz. I said Spain (which is of course not Portugal, lest we have a war). Winner.

Well, depending on where you are placed in Australia, you could be in the opposite side of Portugal, Spain or even the Atlantic Ocean... You are a huge country!
Cheers!

Return to “Production Techniques”