The biggest mixing secret you've always wondered

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's as simple as that you need to tweak as f*ck to get your mix sound good by the way.

Tweak that f#ckin mix ...

Nope! Stop tweaking!

Oi! I said, "Stop!".

But seriously taken... Anyone ever found a chain in your DAW, that finally got you that good sound you was after?
I have been trying to find it in Reason from the beginning of 2002 and while I actually got s*it sounding close to good, I just got even closer just few days ago. I know that mixing is the key and mastering comes later but I think that mastering section in Reason also seems very important to glue stuff together and finalizing a decent mixdown.

deep'n'dark wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:11 pm But seriously taken... Anyone ever found a chain in your DAW, that finally got you that good sound you was after?
I have been trying to find it in Reason from the beginning of 2002 and while I actually got s*it sounding close to good, I just got even closer just few days ago. I know that mixing is the key and mastering comes later but I think that mastering section in Reason also seems very important to glue stuff together and finalizing a decent mixdown.
You can apply "glue" in the mix as well. It depends on how you choose to process the sounds.

There aren't any secrets. Just understand how the processors work and approach program material methodically.

Reverb on send → sidechain compressor→ parallel = a type of glue.

Ableton’s reverb works pretty good for this.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:42 pm Nope! Stop tweaking!

Story

Story

In case you missed it Story

That is Stor Ree

If you are tweaking then you are wasting time, hoping something good arrives. You might get lucky, more likely you will have a track that sounds like tweak soup. You need to find the Story and then work out how to make the Balance reflect that. That is the Secret.

I do a Mix Walkthrough thing on YouTube when I find track I like something about but were not mixed well. This may help. I am always open to finding the next track I want to cover (hint if I just did House I don't want more House for the next one - send it over but be patient).

https://youtu.be/xPA1tPHcOm4

:-)

dont do it without turning the monitors on.

vurt wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:53 pm dont do it without turning the monitors on.
You're not tweaking hard enough. If you are you can hear the sound coming through the wall.
peter-griffin-meth.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

my hair does currently look like that.
my chin does not look like balls though.

Without the beard? :P

who knows? :lol:

Thought as much :lol:

Return to “Production Techniques”