replicating low end in this track

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, I’m trying to create a new age track similar to this one here, and have a quick question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjg3jvvPY08&t=183s

What’s going on in the ultra low end; is that a didgeridoo on it’s own, or is it accompanied by a synthetic bass layered underneath? Any other observations on how it’s mixed?

To my ears, it seems to either be a wide stereo track, or two separate instruments playing at once, and panned to the extremes...

I have a bunch of samples from an ethnic library but I can’t seem to replicate that sound

Did you listen to the track with a Low Pass Filter closing at 80Hz or even 60Hz?

Could it be the didgeridoo drone supported by a subharmonic synth? I'm not sure.

Later in the track some of the drum hits going that deep too. Perhaps ducking the sub bass octave?

Hi Frank

These New Age things are funny. They present as tho they are so organic but in reality, they are totally Workstation or DAW-done. It doesn't really matter I guess but it is a bit of flummery.

There is a synth, probably a Pad, that is "owning" the bottom end. I would never use a Didge to do that as they are far too "all over the place" and prone to "standing waves" whereas that synth sound is nice and reliable.

I think that it is a pretty light low-end compared to the average modern mix and so as a result that pad has little competition. This also allows those drums to seem very dynamic and LOUD.

Happy to listen to what you have. Or even pop it in my Mix Walkthrough series if that helps.

:-)

Benedict wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:52 am Hi Frank

These New Age things are funny. They present as tho they are so organic but in reality, they are totally Workstation or DAW-done. It doesn't really matter I guess but it is a bit of flummery.

There is a synth, probably a Pad, that is "owning" the bottom end. I would never use a Didge to do that as they are far too "all over the place" and prone to "standing waves" whereas that synth sound is nice and reliable.

I think that it is a pretty light low-end compared to the average modern mix and so as a result that pad has little competition. This also allows those drums to seem very dynamic and LOUD.

Happy to listen to what you have. Or even pop it in my Mix Walkthrough series if that helps.

:-)
Thanks benedict...that makes sense; I tried using a didgeridoo down there but it was way too ‘bumpy’, for lack of a better term. will try just a couple of basic fm operators instead. I’ll hopefully have something in the music cafe soon but it won’t be anywhere near as good as that track!

Return to “Production Techniques”