How to record my electric guitar noise free and cheap?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Solving Laptop Noise and Ground Loop Audio Interference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSA2F1AwboU&feature=youtu.be
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:17 am
Forgotten wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:05 pm
perfumer wrote:Like I said - getting picked up by the USB jack or somewhere else, but definitely AFTER the DI box. (Which runs on phantom power.)
Have you tried turning the phantom power off? You don't need phantom power for a guitar, only for mics that need phantom power.
Some DI boxes can run off phantom power instead of a battery, Hi-Z on input 2 would be a alternative.
A DI box doesn't need phantom power to run a guitar through it though. Phantom power is to provide (usually) 48V DC for the active circuitry in condenser mics.

Forgotten wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:03 am A DI box doesn't need phantom power to run a guitar through it though. Phantom power is to provide (usually) 48V DC for the active circuitry in condenser mics.
I use a Behringer Ultra-DI DI20, it can be powered by a 9V battery or phantom power, then there's also passive DI boxes that need no power.
Bottom left.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote:I use a Behringer Ultra-DI DI20, it can be powered by a 9V battery or phantom power, then there's also passive DI boxes that need no power.
You're only going to get phantom power if you do something like run the output of a mixing desk into the DI box. This one is active so it needs to be powered, but when you run a guitar through it, it will use the 9V battery (unless you also have a mixer as input at the same time).

My assumption earlier was that the DI box supplies the phantom power, not that you can run the output from something that supplies phantom power through it. If that was the case then you wouldn't need the phantom power switched on.

plugging my sg in, as normal, average noise.
turn on phantom power, noise is increased.

dont have the exact set up, but it seems adding phantom power adds noise here :shrug:

vurt wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:18 pm plugging my sg in, as normal, average noise.
turn on phantom power, noise is increased.

dont have the exact set up, but it seems adding phantom power adds noise here :shrug:
That's what I would expect to happen with a guitar as the phantom power will give you a signal overload that you can't really fix by gain staging later in the chain.

yeah i pretty much expected it, after dealing with idiots in the studio who would switch it on to make mics sound better? wtf? any and all mics apparently :hihi:
where do they get this information from?

I had the UR22. Sent it back and went back to my old Focusrite. Noise issues disappeared.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Return to “Production Techniques”