If eq causes phase issues am i supposed to balance each sound in my track using as little eq as possible?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been trying to balance my individual tracks as best to my ability, and this sometimes has me abusing dynamic eqs and static eqs.. to find my sound either super harsh because of reduced dynamics or just plain hollow like its had too many notches put into it(maybe alongside the sound of phase)
does anybody have any suggestions on this issue???
Should i reduce the peaks to the best of my ability with compressors and then use static eq or?
That would make the sound super flat dynamic wise... but that would take away the hollow sounding phase issues from excessive eqs at least, right?

Can you share examples of what you're working on? If it's "lose dynamics vs. introduce excessive phase shift with extreme EQ"...I'd suggest getting a more solid grasp of both fundamental recording and mixing technique, as better sound at the source will reduce the need for destructive processing. Of course that's not always an option if you've already recorded the perfect take or are mixing other peoples' stuff. I've been wrestling with a noisy vocal take lately and find that multiple stages of gentler processing sound more natural.

What is sound of phase?

I think, like Winston suggests, that your concern is that you have too much concern over techniques you haven't fully understood. From what you say, you seem to have excessive amounts of EQ or are thinking that EQ is going to do something to change the essential nature of the recording. Also, it is unclear if you understand the difference between good dynamics and stray peaks.

My advice is to step away from a lot of the technical babble you see in forums & tuts about making this knob do that and work on understanding the thinking underneath. For now, get good core Takes, then pop a Limiter across the whole mix to lop strays and work solely on Balance using only Level & Tone. That is the core skill. Once you have that, you are on your way.

This video is long but can help a lot of you let yourself get the larger concept (the first two vids in the series focus on this concept)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cyRFOYIEBY

:-)

Filters do funny things, even when not expected.

Some time ago someone here pointed me to a video where it was shown a simple high-pass filter set to 10 Hz (to keep out subsonics) made the peaks crawl up like half a decibel of piano sounds near 400 Hz. You could not hear any difference. Only because some freq ranges phases had shifted.

So best is to EQ as less as you can. For acoustical tracks that means to record it the best way you can. For synths it means being very cautious when selecting your patches & samples. Consider selecting better suitable sounds as opposed to try make something work which cannot.

I recall in a previous thread I adviced you to cut some of the fundamental low freqs. You then responded with you're using notch filters for that. Still doing that? Why? It's far easier to use a shelf filter instead. Simular result, less effort, less drawbacks.

What you are currently doing (squeezing out all dynamics, get record-breaking LUFS) is like running on high heels. Why oh why, you will fall and it really looks stupid and silly. You admitted the commercial tracks sound mutilated. Why... :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Production Techniques”