Tips for getting the most out of youtube tutorials/studying music

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

funky lime wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:07 pm
Product "reviews" are often just regurgitated press kits.

For real. Unboxings are even worse.

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:19 pm
funky lime wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:07 pm
Product "reviews" are often just regurgitated press kits.

For real. Unboxings are even worse.
There are a few exceptions. Robin Vincent is a prime example of a quality and thorough review.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Some stuff I'm very guilty of not doing, but am resolved to change:

1. If a useful concept is illustrated, think of a specific song or project that I'm working on.
WRITE DOWN the technique, the song I have in mind, and why I want to use the technique.

2. For any key command or shortcut mentioned that looks useful, WRITE IT DOWN.

3. Keep a dedicated paper notebook for WRITING STUFF DOWN, specific to audio production stuff.
(don't "cheat" and start writing down other stuff unrelated to the specific purpose of the notebook)

4. Before watching a possibly informative video, have the notebook ready to....take notes.

Seeing something, and understanding it, and seeing the value of it....well, even all of that doesn't mean that I'll remember to put it into practice! It should, but that's not how it works for me!

I like OPs method and I do something similar. Watch a video, try to recreate what they did and then make a few beats using the techniques i practiced in the "remake"

There's always something to be learned/realized even from the shitty videos, just might be a small idea/concept.

datpaki wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:54 pm There's always something to be learned/realized even from the shitty videos...
Yep. Usually how not to do something.

2 I follow regularly are Produce Like a Pro - Warren Huart is a font of knowledge and also started to watch Big Z (serum based but applicable to lots of synths).
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Most of em are independent producers teaching rudimentary tricks, hoping to promote their music in the process. I wonder though how many people watching their tutorials say: hey thanks for the tip, now I'll go and buy your music from itunes. There must be better ways to promote yourself online.

ramseysounds wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:18 am Big Z
Funny, I was just typing a new thread about this guy. :o

I found his channel acidentally and I must say, it's the only that brought me something actually useful, in recent years. No jokes, no bullshit, good diction and direct to the point. And most important: his tips can be emulated in any synth/FX, different from most channels that are mere product endorsements.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgXmRI ... RsA/videos

Maybe you can find something useful as I did. Focus is on EDM and it's current sub-genres.

100% agreed :tu:
He's a breath of fresh air and such a likeable guy - no airs or graces.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Kinh wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:59 am Most of em are independent producers teaching rudimentary tricks, hoping to promote their music in the process. I wonder though how many people watching their tutorials say: hey thanks for the tip, now I'll go and buy your music from itunes. There must be better ways to promote yourself online.
Somewhere between 0 - 0.0001%. Even using the 'here, let me show you my expertise, would you like me to work on your music?' model it is that (or worse).

:-)

Return to “Production Techniques”