How can I produce music without the thought of impressing someone or for the sake of fame?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:59 am It would only take one lesser-egoic-minded good musician to disprove your contention.
You wouldn't know though. Some people can appear very modest, and well-disposed, while inside, they're the biggest sophomoric egomaniacs ever.

Anyway, maybe i should justify my statements a bit. I'm not saying that everyone into music, or into making sounds is like that. Rather that it seems to be a certain pattern with many people i have experienced here. And, TBH, the way i see it, it makes sense, even.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:04 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:59 am It would only take one lesser-egoic-minded good musician to disprove your contention.
You wouldn't know though.
whereas you've just claimed to.
Some people can appear very modest, and well-disposed, while inside, they're the biggest sophomoric egomaniacs ever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

dasen wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:08 pm ...my mind turns into perfectionist mode with thoughts of impressing others with my music, comparing the songs against other similar songs or simply for the sake of fame.
There is nothing wrong with it. I like music that impresses me. And music that doesn't... I don't like it. :shrug:

Aleatoriac wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:08 am I masturbate while making music, often. Not always. But enough.
+1
Very smart.

kill your ego.
with fire.

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:22 pm kill your ego.
with fire.
But then you'll never be a good musician, or sound-designer :scared:

no, ill just use magick to steal someone else's ego.
noob.

bowie said we can :P

Ah, but just for one day

ShawnG wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:03 pm Ah, but just for one day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq9FCBatl3A

ShawnG wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:03 pm Ah, but just for one day
long enough if i get superman's powers!

I think the trick is to not save and/or record the music, just let it live the time it is being created. Not being able to come back to it makes it almost impossible to criticize, unless you're playing the same song over and over again.

You should make music to impress yourself only. The rest will happen by itself, if it's meant to happen.

turn off the monitors, both visual and audio.
then record, release what happens.

Return to “Production Techniques”