How can I produce music without the thought of impressing someone or for the sake of fame?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ahh, that's the same guy, responded to him in other thread too, ok, definitely find music partner, it would be perfect if you knew someone who is stuck musically, but excels in production aspect, so you both can lift some baggage from each other, you are starter, he's finisher.

I masturbate while making music, often. Not always. But enough.

and to that I simply just say... ( . )( . )

vurt wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:23 pm indeed, all that exists is "now".
anything else is imaginary :)

live in the moment.
its a gift.
that's why its called the present :)
And music has to do with grokking the present. Basically. In its most simple expression and exploration.

However when I hear top 20 "music" I'm more inclined towards the German meaning of the word "Gift" which is "poison".

For me, shrinking the ego is the ultimate key to creating "legit" music.

Take yourself out of the equation. Ask the song at every turn what it needs and let that come to you, as opposed to "forcing your will" onto it.

Just my 2¢,

Distorted Horizon wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:49 pm Just do what I do. Make music that won't definitely impress anyone, and you don't even have to dream of becoming famous.. Makes you free from lots of stress :hihi:
Exactly what I do! :)

Synthman2000 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:57 pm Or you could enjoy the sensation of satisfaction making it as perfect as you can do with the skills you have now. You can only do anything in the moment as well as you are skilled and equipped to.

Actually no other time really exists so do the best you can/want to now.

There is also happiness for some to know they did everything they could have done at the time they made a specific track.
Well pointed. In my case, I was checking out some old tracks I made 5 or 10 years ago, trying to rework them, remixing, etc. To my surprise, I simply could not do it. I started to remember how obsessed I was trying to perfect them that I simply cannot find something I could do better today. Of course I have learned a lot of things but I'm very satisfied with the results I achieved. Not that it's good music but, as a hobbyist, they simply make me very proud.

About impressing others, bear in mind most people are not as demanding as one may think. Actually, most people don't have a clue about making music or mixing skills. So, their demand levels are a lot lower than we expect. We are our harshest critic.

Of course, if the OP is a pro or is trying to make a living off of music, it's another subject, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
Last edited by dark_virus on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

True all dat.

I've used to have a similar mentality and then I realized I was doing it to impress other producers which is one demographic that you shouldn't bother much impressing because, at the end of the day, every producer has what's musically enjoyable for them and you very well be in contact with people that may not enjoy what you do sonically and whatever you create despite being great may not be too impressive. Just learn to enjoy the process of creating music that moves you first and work on those details without being too critical. Instead of going into the perfectionist mentality, try to approach it from a listener perspective like if you listen to your music and at any given point if you feel that it feels a bit repetitive work on that part and see what you can change to improve it.

What else is the point of music but to impress someone? The question is, what is it it's trying to impress on the listener? If your point just 'look at how good and great I am, praise me now bitches'. Yeah, that's not going to work. Not for me and not for you, either. Nobody owes you or your music any attention or time just because you made it... it has to earn that... somehow.

Monkey Man wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:08 am For me, shrinking the ego is the ultimate key to creating "legit" music.
One thing i always realized is that people who make good music, or who are big in the soundset game have a massive ego... almost a unhealthy ego/hybris. If anything, it seems to be common for those people to NOT suffer from a inferiority complex.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:20 am
Monkey Man wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:08 am For me, shrinking the ego is the ultimate key to creating "legit" music.
One thing i always realized is that people who make good music, or who are big in the soundset game have a massive ego.
How do you always realise something that isn't always true? You are indeed an enigma :eek:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:25 am How do you always realise something that isn't always true? You are indeed an enigma :eek:
How can you claim that it isn't always true, when you don't know whether or not it is always true. ;)

At the very least, lack of self confidence seems to be something which hinders creativity. Seems like a obvious thing, if you're insecure, you're insecure about your work or your creativity as well. And, yes, i know there's artists who are or were known as being insecure. But, for a lot of them, performing, or art is like a relief from their insecurity, and sometimes even a cure.

Anyway, i met a lot of people who are big in the soundet business here, which have quite a hybris. It seems almost like a common pattern to me. Can't help it. I won't name names. They know who they are not. Well.. probably not. :lol:

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:29 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:25 am How do you always realise something that isn't always true? You are indeed an enigma :eek:
How can you claim that it isn't always true, when you don't know whether or not it is always true. ;)
It would only take one lesser-egoic-minded good musician to disprove your contention. And you'd have to know every good musician to be able to make any claim. Either way, you've alreasy disproved your own claims with:
chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:29 amAnd, yes, i know there's artists who are or were known as being insecure. But, for a lot of them, performing, or art is like a relief from their insecurity, and sometimes even a cure.

:tu: :tu:
chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:29 amAt the very least, lack of self confidence seems to be something which hinders creativity. Seems like a obvious thing, if you're insecure, you're insecure about your work or your creativity as well.
That can be true, but not necessarily so. A musician could be very confident, and self-assured (This needn't mean egoic) in the creation process, but have a crippling lack of confidence when it comes to performing, promoting etc.
chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:29 amAnyway, i met a lot of people who are big in the soundet business here, which have quite a hybris.
"A lot of people" is not everybody. And I wonder if it's personal hubris that stops you checking if you can spell properly :shrug:
chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:29 amIt seems almost like a common pattern to me.
A "common pattern" still would not be grounds for every.[/quote]

Return to “Production Techniques”