How to make something match a crest factor easier?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there an easier way to match the crest factor besides soloing something or playing whatever i'm trying to be super loud and using like 400 eq dips along with another 400 bands of dynamic eq??? This is how i've been going about it and it takes literally hours of time.. i just scan harsh frequencies for literally hours, there has to be a simpler way... sometimes i use compression before hand, but the harmonics are still hopping around so i'm forced to i feel like....
It's even harder to do on kick drums especially in the low end cuz i cant even really see the harmonics, i end up just doing tiny q's around the fundamental just trying to rid of the distortion from the push into the limiter... but cmon there has to be a simpler or smarter way to do it than what im doing...

my technique is that i turn the volume down really low, i scan for harsh freq/distortion, i drop it a db or 2 depending on what my ears tell me and i move on, if i hear the harmonic jumping up or down i use dynamic eq to control it... at some point it will be a pretty even scan across the frequencies and i'm allowed to turn it up a little bit and maybe try to scan some more. Someone know an easier technique?

Are you trying to increase or decrease the crest factor? EQ is not the obvious tool for this...

imrae wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:48 pm Are you trying to increase or decrease the crest factor? EQ is not the obvious tool for this...
I'm trying to match the shape of the crest factor better by equalization, should i be using another tool? I've used compression but then i just end up having to eq it again cuz the compression just makes the harmonics closer together, but i need that specific shape yknow? Increase

What shape? Crest factor is a relationship between peak and averaged signal intensity.

imrae wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:53 pm What shape? Crest factor is a relationship between peak and averaged signal intensity.
I'm pretty sure i'm trying to increase the crest factor, sorry it sounded stupid the way i worded it in the original post...my issue is that my limiter on the master is causing my track to distort, but i was told if i eq or mix my song better it will not distort...is my kick in my song distorting because its not eqd right or does it have something to do with the crest factor? to be clear its sidechained and its not clashing with anything else, im trying to make it loud as possible so it can compete with the synths in my song, but when i do, i hear the fizz from the distortion, so im like wtf do i do???

Ah right, so your goal is to maximise loudness. a quiet square wave and a loud square wave have the same crest factor (1), while a quiet sine wave and a loud sine wave have the same crest factor (√2). The higher crest factor is quieter when the peaks are normalised to 0dbFS; but it does sounds less distorted.

Getting to "competitive" loudness levels without audible distortion is quite difficult. There are many threads here where people post examples of loud tracks and complain they cannot get theirs to the same level. On inspection, the reference tracks also sound harsh with audible distortion. If this is really the route you want to go down, it needs to be considered at every stage of the track arrangement and there are limits to what can be done at the end. The result will still sound worse than a mix that was less concerned with loudness - once the speakers have been turned up.

imrae wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:37 pm Ah right, so your goal is to maximise loudness. a quiet square wave and a loud square wave have the same crest factor (1), while a quiet sine wave and a loud sine wave have the same crest factor (√2). The higher crest factor is quieter when the peaks are normalised to 0dbFS; but it does sounds less distorted.

Getting to "competitive" loudness levels without audible distortion is quite difficult. There are many threads here where people post examples of loud tracks and complain they cannot get theirs to the same level. On inspection, the reference tracks also sound harsh with audible distortion. If this is really the route you want to go down, it needs to be considered at every stage of the track arrangement and there are limits to what can be done at the end. The result will still sound worse than a mix that was less concerned with loudness - once the speakers have been turned up.
It's frustrating.. its like the more i push it into a limiter my track sounds even more and more cohesive and better and better.. but damn the low end on this kick distorting! i use the invisible limiter so its not really too obvious all up until you hear the fizz from the kicks low end pushing too hard.. ughhhh i could lower the volume in the low end of the kick but then it just doesnt fit right in the track...

Return to “Production Techniques”