What kind of effect is this?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, I've been searching for an effect, that is used on a bass line in a techno track.

The track is Purple Noise by Boris Brejcha. I first thought this was just some messing around with lowpass filter cutoff and resonance but there has to be something else.

The bass line slowly changes at 1:39 (1st time the effect appears). You can clearly hear the effect at 06:05 with pitch variations. What kind of effect (or combination of multiple effects) is used here? Or is it even a completely new synth patch? If so, could anyone please give some instructions on how to achieve this?

thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLvzz1ePBjQ

Sounds like a different patch, but who knows, since the bass filters out the top end and the different/morphed version filters out the bottom. Could be a morphing LP/HP filter, could be faded in and out.

Cool track! To me it sounds like just a distorted HP filter. I'm thinking that the resonance is coming more from the distortion harmonics post filter than the filter itself, but I'm guessing. After the 6:05 section he's got the resonance tuned to a specific frequency that fits with the track...pretty cool. You could probably get something like that with Fabfilter Volcano and/or Saturn.

Thanks a lot, i will try that out!

Are you able to tell me how the Main Synth Patch is made (The one that is there from the beginning, not the Bassline)?
I would Really like to make something similar!

Delay, obviously? Plus extended note sustain to make it never end.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Yeah how is that main synth patch made? What oscillator shape will it be? has a slow attack on it and some delay but how's the sound made?

That BASS thing: a resonant filter. There are many commercial and free options.

For example: AudioThing - Filterjam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8H7Yyu8PSM

Eclectrophonic wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:47 pm Yeah how is that main synth patch made? What oscillator shape will it be? has a slow attack on it and some delay but how's the sound made?
Not sure what you would call the main synth patch. Is it the repetitive synth starting from...well....the start? Together with the bass?

Kwurqx wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:29 pm
Eclectrophonic wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:47 pm Yeah how is that main synth patch made? What oscillator shape will it be? has a slow attack on it and some delay but how's the sound made?
Not sure what you would call the main synth patch. Is it the repetitive synth starting from...well....the start? Together with the bass?
Yeah which sounds like is gaining more resonance.

Eclectrophonic wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:51 pm
Kwurqx wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:29 pm
Yeah which sounds like is gaining more resonance.
Huh...an answer. It's been a while...

Better ask these sort of questions in the Sound Design forum.

Anyway...

Without going in too much detail. And just by ear. I guess it's a Saw/Square mix through a Bandpass filter. Some turning the cutoff and resonance up/down. And into a short Delay. Some general Lowpass filtering. Reverb.

Return to “Production Techniques”