MiniDisc in music production

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi! I recently found an old MiniDisc player and I was thinking about integrating it in my workflow.
Maybe for something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCKEaWeYres
I wondered if anybody here worked with MiniDiscs and if so, how?

Never actually heard of anyone utilizing MiniDiscs in their workflow. That fact alone earns you props from me.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

I used them for recording stereo mixes until I got my first PC ... after that I recorded gigs and location stuff on minidisc. Not for the last 15 years or so. Can you still get the discs?

yeah, for either field recording, or playback of said field recordings through hw fx.
had a friend who used one as a make shift sampler on stage, loaded up several speech samples, then for tracks he would press play to hear charlton heston read the ten commandments then play his music...

A minidisc and a mic was my first field recording setup ! One music workflow tip I've heard with a minidisc was to record an improvisation, then use the split function to turn the recording into 99 split tracks and then put the thing on random play for musical ideas

OOops, should've seen the video first - That's exactly what's demonstrated at 2:25 :dog:

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:07 pm Never actually heard of anyone utilizing MiniDiscs in their workflow. That fact alone earns you props from me.
I read about sending mixdown from computer to MiniDisc then from MiniDisc to computer for added flavor. I will have to try. Right now I am interested in the randomization explained in the video.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:27 pm I used them for recording stereo mixes until I got my first PC ... after that I recorded gigs and location stuff on minidisc. Not for the last 15 years or so. Can you still get the discs?
I am on the same boat. 20 years ago, I recorded guitar into Pandora into MiniDisc to save song ideas. You can still buy discs but they are expensive. I still have a decent collection of recorded and blank discs, so that should not be a problem.

mcbpete wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:17 pm A minidisc and a mic was my first field recording setup ! One music workflow tip I've heard with a minidisc was to record an improvisation, then use the split function to turn the recording into 99 split tracks and then put the thing on random play for musical ideas

OOops, should've seen the video first - That's exactly what's demonstrated at 2:25 :dog:
vurt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 pm yeah, for either field recording, or playback of said field recordings through hw fx.
had a friend who used one as a make shift sampler on stage, loaded up several speech samples, then for tracks he would press play to hear charlton heston read the ten commandments then play his music...
I have not listened to many of my discs but I clearly remember doing some field recording. It will be fun if I can find that. And yes, that randomization function is very tempting.

I used to go around a lot field recording sounds on MD in the early and mid 2000s.

MD devices might work for plain recording. If you start to chop samples and pitch them +/- 1 octave, you will get bitten by ATRAC, the lossy MD compression. DAT (lossless) was worlds ahead.

I used one as my first ghetto sampler.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Oh man. I still have my sony MZ-R700 and MS907 mic that I used to use for field recording. It definitely wasn't very practical once the wave of cheap digital recorders started coming out. But that slicing/random feature he's using is a great creative idea. Sounds like a lot of that lofi quality is coming from his dictaphone which is also cool...I never found the minidisc recordings to have much of their own character.

Return to “Production Techniques”