Do you automate before or after mixing?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:22 pm asimo is the end of us, with it's cute little wiggle and it's perfect ass :cry:
That made me wonder how long it'll be before womens magazines start fat shaming robots :lol:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

USB (Undeniable Sexy Bum)

AnX wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:31 pm USB (Undeniable Sexy Bum)
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/v ... vi-BBUn1K3

AnX wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:31 pm USB (Undeniable Sexy Bum)
:hihi:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

During. I see automation as a part of the mixing process.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Yes I do.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Bombadil wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:30 pm 'remove' is such a nebulous concept, here.

Normally, I've heard something so many times by the time I call it finished, I never want to hear it again.
I hear you. I often get really sick of listening to things by the end, but I think as the process gets faster, I'm less sick.
AnX wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:33 pm automate what exactly?

synth params? fx params? send level? mixer channel volume?
Well, that's a good point actually, I was hoping people would elaborate on that.

I mostly automate during mixing; after the mix is done there's nothing left to automate, right?

Anything that is automatable is ripe for automation if needed, so synth and fx params, sends, track/item/clip params (like pitch), track gain (using trim or a utility plugin, never the fader).

I'm more, but not exclusively, likely to automate synth params while writing and arranging; Bitwig supports automation at the clip level, and Reaper supports automation items, both of which make it easy to rearrange stuff on the timeline. (can't speak for other DAW's but they'll have similar capabilities).

I do some automation at arrangement stage to create desired flow. Then plug mix busses, then tweak again. Then run 'final' mix through mastering chain and if something turns out too loud or too quiet, I tweak automation again. It's a continuous cycle of improvements.

To make any progress, it's good to call tracks "finished" at some point and bounce them to audio. There's no coming back to endless automation lanes, but working on bounced audio is still possible to improve balance. Especially now that Ableton has nice fade handles.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Depends of automation, but generally making a track and mixing are two different projects. Ofc both they have automations but on different tools and goals.

I tend to keep to very basic automation. Panning and track volume. I know I could do more, but I'm lazy.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Automation is part of mixing, but I try to leave it as late as possible and keep it as simple as possible. Complex automation as part of sound design/composition should be bounced.

Return to “Production Techniques”