Do you automate before or after mixing?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And, what are your reasons for doing so?

I find that a mix can really mess up the automation in some cases so I usually lay down some kind of a marker as I go and work it out that way, but then, as long as the balance is right it can be ok to focus on automation early. I suppose for me it really depends on whether automation is a primary focus of the track or whether it's just adding some subtle blending between the parts. However, the levels can be wrong if I'm doing too many things at once and if I automate I can find myself chasing my tail if that's the case so I'm leaning towards doing automation after mixing, most of the time.

Any thoughts?

I automate during the mix since I need to hear the impact of the automation against the sounds in that part of the track. I might put some preliminary filter sweep automation in during composition, but it will get its real adjustment during mixdown of the total track.

I'm using Ableton Live, so I can drop the automation lane down from the regular part of the track. It keeps the automation from getting messed up and allows convenient copy/paste if I feel like the automation curve might work on other tracks in the same part of the song.

I automate things as I go, of course I have no major levels issues because I actually automate gain plugin, not the actual channel mixer fader that is there just for the leveling, and everywhere where things can get out of control volume vise. Also don't bother with nuances until the end. I group things ASAP so I can automate them with filters, reverbs and etc, even on stereo bus, after some time, you just get wiser and actually know what, when and how to automate things.

automation is part of the mixing process
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Both
The "after" is why I haven't released (ha ha) anything in 18 months.

Both
Sweet child in time...

A lot of consensus on both. I tend to find it good practise to do the subtle blending automation early or during the mix, but leave the more aggressive moves to after the mix.

Both ,modulating parameters on synths etc for timbral changes over time and volume automation when mixing for dynamics
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

do you remove your clothes before or after you get undressed?

'remove' is such a nebulous concept, here.

I get a rough mix, then start messing with the automation. Normally, I've heard something so many times by the time I call it finished, I never want to hear it again. I finished a song last summer, took about 3 weeks of recording. Took about another 3 weeks until I was finished tweaking the automation.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

automate what exactly?

synth params? fx params? send level? mixer channel volume?

AnX wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:33 pm automate what exactly?

the car industry!
damn robots stealing our jobs :x

vurt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:36 pm

the car industry!
i blame Hilter Honda

AnX wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:41 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:36 pm

the car industry!
i blame Hilter Honda
Hail Honda
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

asimo is the end of us, with it's cute little wiggle and it's perfect ass :cry:

Return to “Production Techniques”