How does a VST Bitcrusher plugin work? History and pro production tips.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi KVR,

The denise team posted a blog which summaries the history and functionality of Bitcrusher plugins, which also features some production tips and ideas of how to use one.

https://www.denise.io/blog/2019/3/how-d ... ction-tips

I hope you find this insightful, as a lot of the technical information in the blog post comes from our lead developer! Let us know if this is of interest to you guys.

denise
Denise Audio - Shape your sound
--------------------------------------------
www.deniseaudio.com

Nice one ! Think the '<' and '>' part of the tags for the Come To Daddy youtube video have got a bit mulched:

Code: Select all

<p class="_rh _lt _rq">&lt;iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZlsgnHBOO3c” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;</p>

Bitcrushers are one those types of FX you expect all to sound very similar (since it is digital), but when I tested the bitcrushers I had here they all sounded quite different with similar settings.

Tip 3 was nice to me, obvious in retrospect, but I had forgotten how "digital" those 90s acts were.

pottering wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:51 pm Bitcrushers are one those types of FX you expect all to sound very similar (since it is digital), but when I tested the bitcrushers I had here they all sounded quite different with similar settings.

Tip 3 was nice to me, obvious in retrospect, but I had forgotten how "digital" those 90s acts were.
Thanks for your comment pottering, glad you could find a useful tip in there.

Joe
www.deniseaudio.com

mcbpete wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:33 pm Nice one ! Think the '<' and '>' part of the tags for the Come To Daddy youtube video have got a bit mulched:

Code: Select all

<p class="_rh _lt _rq">&lt;iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZlsgnHBOO3c” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;</p>
Hey mcbpete, what is this referring to? If there's an issue with the site we'll aim to fix it asap!

Joe
www.deniseaudio.com

It's in the middle of this section:
What famous songs use bit crushing?
One example of bit crushing can be found in this remix of a well know Aphex Twin track, “Come To Daddy”. The bit crushing effect is applied during the beginning of the track, just before the drum track begins.

Youtube video should be here but tags are malformed

This is a really good example because you hear the sound before and after the effect is applied.

mcbpete wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:35 pm It's in the middle of this section:
What famous songs use bit crushing?
One example of bit crushing can be found in this remix of a well know Aphex Twin track, “Come To Daddy”. The bit crushing effect is applied during the beginning of the track, just before the drum track begins.

Youtube video should be here but tags are malformed

This is a really good example because you hear the sound before and after the effect is applied.
Thanks a lot for pointing this out mcbpete, this issue is now solved.

Joe
www.deniseaudio.com

Return to “Production Techniques”