Vocal widening effects

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Razzia wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:16 am
simon.a.billington wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:35 pm
Razzia wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:18 pm Honestly think the best way to do this is with a plugin is with Nectar. You can add random time and pitch variations to the copies so it sounds less like a copy of the take and more like you actually tracked multiple takes.

I used to add 2-5 extra recorded layers for effects like this but Nectar is really quick and sounds convincing. As long as you dont use the pitch shift too much, that is. Shoutout to Waves ADT though. It does vary the timing a bit which makes it a little more realistic.

If you want it to sound like an effect, soundtoys microsoft or pluginboutiqe StereoSavage are good.
It’s odd, but I guess because of the nature of ADT is emulating the nature of tape, speeding it up, slowing it down and via that process altering the timing and pitch, it works quite well at this task. Even the fact that the nature of tape changes the tonality of the sound, adds a little harmonics and compression all contribute to making the double different from the source.

While it may be emulating a classic technique using my vintage equipment it really works quite well for organic sounding doubles.

Yeah exactly. Because ADT can add some randomized tape "imperfections" in the timing, the combed/phasey/chorusing sound isn't as prominent and it sounds more like an actual vocal stack than something that just delays the signal and lays it on top of itself. Same reason Nectar is good at this.
I haven't updated Nectar yet and I've stopped using the current version I have. I figured the Harmony feature was like the only thing I really used as I opted to work with other processors. I'm starting to realise how quick, easy and effective their Harmony tool was!!

Return to “Production Techniques”